Health Officials Report 2nd West Nile Virus Death In LA County
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Health officials said Tuesday that a second Los Angeles County resident has died due to West Nile virus.
According to the Department of Public Heath, the first death was reported 10 days ago. Both victims were adults in their 80s who lived in the southeastern part of the county.
So far, 54 human cases of the mosquito-borne disease have been reported in the area.
Vector control districts have also detected West Nile virus in 170 dead birds, five squirrels and 196 mosquito pools, said county health official Dr. Jonathan Fielding.
Officials urged residents to protect themselves from mosquitoes by following these guidelines:
- Get rid of stagnant water around homes.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
- Use repellant in mosquito-prone areas, especially around dawn or dusk.
For more information on West Nile virus and what precautions to take against mosquito bites, visit L.A. County Department of Public Health and the California Department of Public Health’s West Nile site.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)