SoCal Teen Dead After Playing ‘Pass Out’ Game, Falling On Glass

CHULA VISTA (CBSLA.com) — A 15-year old Southland boy was dead Wednesday after what police are calling a freak accident he suffered while playing an increasingly popular “pass out” game.

KNX 1070’s Tom Reopelle reports police say the unidentified teenager was with two friends watching an Internet video about how to intentionally pass out when he fell onto a glass tumbler that slashed his throat.

The boy was found profusely bleeding when police arrived at his home on Old Janal Ranch Road shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday, according to Chula Vista Police Capt. Gary Wedge.

“The victim was doing what he saw in the video, which ultimately caused him to pass out,” Wedge said. “When he passed out he fell forward, landed on a glass tumbler that was on the floor, and that glass tumbler shattered and then cut his neck.”

The boy regained consciousness after a few seconds, ran downstairs and tried to get help from his father, but collapsed again, Wedge said.

Medics took the boy to Rady Children’s Hospital, where he later died.

The popularity of the “pass out” game — which involves using a common hyperventilation technique — has soared since users have posted their attempts on YouTube and other online video hosting sites.

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

More from Tom Reopelle
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

KNX 1070 Newsradio
Play.It
Follow Us On Twitter

Listen Live