Advisor On Controversial ‘Muhammad’ Film Speaks Out After Deadly Libya Attack
HEMET (CBS) — The deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans on the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks were initially blamed on fallout from a movie made in California last year.
J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed Tuesday at the American embassy in Benghazi.
“Innocence of Muslims”, a low-budget effort that depicts Islamic prophet Muhammad in a negative light, sparked a protest Tuesday that turned violent outside of the embassy.
Hemet resident Steve Klein, who served as an advisor on the film, says he never imagined such violence would ensue as a result of the film.
“I am not responsible for their actions. I am responsible for telling the truth based on facts, evidence and proof,” he told CBS2.
In fact, the film has been out for months, and, according to Klein, no one showed up for the Hollywood premiere.
The movie, which can now be viewed in separate clips on the Internet, was written and directed by a man from the Middle East who’s a naturalized U.S. citizen living in California.
Klein, a former Marine Corps officer, visits mosques seeking out those he considers possible terrorists and tries to change them.
“Those are the guys we’re trying to reach,” Klein said.
His background prompted the director, who goes by the name Sam Bacile, to ask for his help with the film. The two spoke by phone Wednesday morning and Klein says Bacile now fears for his family’s safety.
“Is there blood on my hands with what happened in Libya? Absolutely not,” Klein said.
U.S. officials also say the protests over the film may have been a cover for a planned attack.