ONTARIO (CBSLA.com) — An explosion and fire at a garage in Ontario was set off by Wednesday’s minor 4.5-magnitude earthquake centered about 30 miles away in Yorba Linda.
The explosion happened just after 11:40 a.m. at a house on West Carlton Street.
Homeowner Jaime Ramirez said, “it was an earthquake and then they kinda heard like an explosion.”
According to an Ontario spokesman, the quake caused tire rims and a saw to fall on a gas valve, which opened up.
Natural gas leaked for about two hours until the water heater pilot light ignited the gas.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire coming from the back of the home, but the garage sustained heavy damage estimated to be $200,000.
A man in his 70’s was treated on scene and transported to a hospital.