La Palma Woman Arrested In Connection With Several Gym Robberies
IRVINE (CBS) — A La Palma woman was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of breaking into at least five health club locker rooms in Irvine.
Jennifer McClain, 34, is also believed to be responsible for burglaries in seven other cities within Orange, San Diego and Los Angeles counties, according to the Irvine Police Department.
She is facing charges of burglary, possession of stolen property, possession of burglary tools and possession of dangerous drugs at her residence.
“Additionally, detectives believe she would use keys stolen from the lockers to access the victim’s cars and steal additional property or, as was the case in at least two instances, steal the car itself,” the department said in a statement.
Officials say McClain was identified by a health club employee following one of the burglaries. Detectives say a fingerprint taken from a promotional brochure at that gym was linked to McClain.
The Irvine Police Department recommends the following tips:
• Leave your valuables at home
• Keep your smaller valuables with you while you workout
• Utilize common area lockers in the gym / workout area for your smaller valuables
• Lock your belongings in your trunk, out of plain sight; do this BEFORE you arrive at the gym
• Secure your belongings in a locker with a disc lock (lock with a shackle guard)
• ALWAYS lock your doors and your locker – NEVER leave property in plain sight in your car or unattended in the gym