San Fernando City Councilman Mario Hernandez Resigns In Wake Of Alleged Affair
SAN FERNANDO (CBS) — San Fernando City Councilman Mario Hernandez resigned from office just hours before Tuesday night’s meeting, according to the San Fernando Sun.
Hernandez and fellow council member Maribel De La Torre reportedly carried on an extra-marital affair before an alleged fight prompted them to file restraining orders against each other.
CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Greg Mills reported last week that trouble started brewing in 2011 when the affair first came to light, but the drama has only increased.
And now it’s getting ugly.
Mills reports the restraining orders stem from a confrontation that took place June 28, which is being investigated by the San Fernando Police Department.
De La Torre’s attorney told Mills that Hernandez “molested” his former lover that day, but Hernandez denies that charge.
“I have never raised my hand against her at any time or at any other woman in my life,” he said.
Hernandez was mayor of San Fernando last November when he stunned his fellow council members at a meeting — with his wife in attendance.
“I’d like to put out there, before, and squash the rumors, that yes, I have been in a relationship with Councilwoman De La Torre,” he said at the time.
His restraining order against her came on the heels of him filing a police report. He alleges she trashed his home during the June 28 incident. Police reportedly saw red marks on his neck.
“Words cannot begin to express how saddened I am over the events of the past several days. I would like to address the allegations,” De La Torre said in a statement, but her attorney said she was unable to comment due to a pending court hearing on July 24.
Meanwhile, Police Chief Gil Carrillo was fired last week after just four months on the job. However, neither De La Torre or Hernandez voted on the firing.