Protect Your Skin, Body With All-Natural Sunscreen
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (CBS)— With summer in full effect, Jen Boulden, a Natural living expert and lifestyle editor of The Well Daily stopped by KCAL9 Tuesday to discuss the benefits of all-natural sunscreen.
* Oxybenzone is a common chemical ingredient in chemical-based sunscreens that you want to avoid. It is in over 600 sunscreen products, yet it’s been linked to allergies, hormone disruption, and cell damage. It makes no sense to prevent skin cancer only to get another type!
* Here’s what to look for:
• Physical sunscreens = which use zinc oxide, a mineral, to sit on top of the skin instead of be absorbed by it.
• Like mineral makeup, these mineral-based sunscreens tend to be a bit more expensive
• That’s okay because the skin absorbs 60% of what we put on it
• Zinc oxide offers UVA and UVB protection…. UVA is protection of the aging rays, and UVB is protection from the burning rays.
• A lot of these picks also use amazing free-radical absorbing ingredients as well (like pomegranate, papaya, and even plankton) so skin gets moisturized and treated well while getting shielded from the sun
• New term that’s popped up is “ocean safe” or “reef safe” – especially important when you are lathering up before hitting the beach… we don’t want to endanger ourselves or Nemo!!
• All of these are “cruelty-free” which means no animal testing! YAY!
Top Picks (broken down by use):
1) Best Beach / Swimming
o Suntegrity – Top scores in EWG, top scores by skin-loving outdoor enthusiasts. This sunscreen is broad spectrum and goes on white so you can see where it goes, then fades. Smells really great, sweet & citrusy. ($24.00)
o John Masters – coveted by celebrities, this is vegan and very moisturizing, very natural, and hydrating because of organic aloe and shea butter. Leaves you with a polished look with definitely no hint of white residue. Does not contain nano-particles minerals, are non-coated, bio-degradable, and reef friendly. Extracts of green tea, shea butter and jojoba oil hydrate, moisturize and replenish the skin of vitamins and minerals. (About $30)
2) Best for Your Face (ie: no snowman look, please!)
NOTE: use these on your neck and chest, too!
o Coola – Soothes, tones, and minimizes pores, organic acai oil which is high in omegas (anti-aging). Patented “Oleosome technology” enhance sun protection and helps time release actives, resulting in 75% less active chemicals. Water resistant for 40 minutes and a portion of profits go to saveourseas.org…. this one really has it all. ($35)
o Desert Essence – Age Reversal…. A little goes a long way!! It really coats the face and stays on. Perfect for under makeup – it’s not greasy at all. Contains grape seed and pomegranate extract which give it the “age reversal” claims. Hey, for $11 I’ll buy it.
PS: And don’t forget the lips!! SunStuff…. funny name, cute little company called Purple Prairie that ensures all products are free from the list of nasties (parabens, detergents, GMOs, fragrances, animal ingredients). This is especially important because you will be ingesting some of it, for sure! And it’s just $3.50.
3) Best Face Moisturizers with Tint and SPF
o Marie Valerie Organics – comes in different color tints. The FDA gives non-micronized zinc oxide a category 1 rating, meaning that it’s safe even for sensitive and compromised skins. MVO’s proprietary non-micronized zinc oxide formulation absorbs into the skin without leaving a greasy or ghostly white film, so it provides superior protection and helps to bring even tone to it. ($50)
o Suntegrity – 5 -in-1 Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen — treat, hydrate, protect, prime, cover… truly this one is supercharged with top of the line antioxidants and amino acids to enhance the protection and help with the repair. ($45)
o “Burn Out Physical Sunscreen” – This is very water resistant. Nano particles. Will not run into eyes. Recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists. ($18)
o AllTerrain KidSport Face Stick – Love this one because the kids tend to want to apply it to themselves…tell them to get their ears and nose, and maybe draw a pattern on their sisters back…kidding. ($8)
Another thing to remember: insect repellants can reduce a sunscreen’s SPF by up to 1/3. When using the two together, opt for all-natural repellents instead.
For more information, visit The Well Daily.