The Hermosa 24 Ultramarathon
Studio City (CBS)— When Hermosa beach schools started experiencing large budget cuts one life long resident and regular volunteer at Hermosa Beach schools wanted to make a difference and be able to support the school system.
Christian Burke who is known for his ‘mind numbing’ athletic challenges came up with the idea of the Hermosa 24 Ultramarathon. This is not your average marathon… it consists of a 3.36 mile soft sand course where participants can run a total of 24 hours straight. Burke’s idea was to let runners of all levels compete together and support the local and regional schools by inspiring people to give when they see the dedication and effort of the people running for the children.
Last year, a world record was set at the marathon for 83.04 miles run and 10’s and thousands of dollars was raised. Burke is hoping for a new record and more money raised this year.
The Hermosa 24 Ultramarathon will start at 12 noon on June 30 and go till noon on July 1. The race features a solo or relay category where up to 10 people can run on a team.
The Hermosa 24 Ultramarathon gives 14 reasons why you must do this race:
- June 30-July 1, 2012
- 3.36 Mile Soft Sand Course
- 24 Non-Stop Hours
- Most Complete Laps Wins
- Solo & Relay Category
- 1st Place Solo Breaking 87.36 Mile Mark Wins Guinness World Record
- Fundraiser for Hermosa Beach and Other Select Schools
- Entry Fees, Donations, Pledges are ALL Tax Deductible
- Perfect Event for Elementary, Middle School, High School, or College Teams
- Course/Pit Area is on one of the most Beautiful Beaches in the World
- Pit Area is Never More Than 1.73 Miles Away
- Restaurants, Shops, Markets , Hotels are ALL Walking Distance from Pit Area
- It is an Awesome spectator course
- There will be lots of press
For more information on the race or to sign up visit the Hermosa 24 Ultramarathon website.