12 Arrested On Suspicion Of Staging, Participating In Dog Fights In Palmdale
PALMDALE (CBS) — A raid in the high desert by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies led to the arrests of 12 men suspected of staging or participating in dog fights, as well as the seizure of eight animals.
Deputies went to a home in the 8900 block of Avenue T-12 in Little Rock about 7:30 p.m. Saturday following a tip of a pending fight. Upon arrival, authorities say they found eight pitbulls, as well as a dog fighting ring.
The Sheriff’s Department said the resident of the home, identified as 48-year-old Paul Manuel Wilhite, was arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty and dog fighting, along with:
- Kevin Benard Thomas, 46, San Bernardino;
– Adan Manzo, 36, Palmdale;
– Jeffrey Reyes Tedtaotao, 36, Bellflower;
– Cornelius Bailey, 58, Barstow;
– Cornelius Bailey III, 35, Compton;
– Theron Lee Mahone, 44, Los Angeles;
– Julio A. Chavez, 47, Orange;
– Herman Ceasar, 62, San Bernardino;
– Jeremy Maril Anderson, 43, Victorville;
– Miguel Angel Leon, 37, Littlerock;
– George Allen Jones, 60, Lancaster.
The suspects are expected to be arraigned on Tuesday. They were being held in lieu of $20,000 bail.
Wilhite was additionally booked on three outstanding traffic warrants totaling $199,000.
Under state law, a property owner can be charged with a felony for permitting dog-fighting on his or her property.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)