Cloud 9 World Author Andrea Natchigall Offers Anti-Bullying Tips For Kids At Summer Camp
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (CBS) — Planning on sending your child to camp this summer? Author Andrea Natchigall has some information all parents should know.
Natchigall is the creator of Cloud 9 World, a children’s book series about building character. The series is series designed to help young readers build self-esteem, gain confidence and develop an understanding of personal responsibility through dialogue and captivating images.
BULLYING and Summer Camps
• Alarmingly, 15 percent of kids ages five to sixteen are bullied repeatedly.*
• Bullying is thought to typically occur in schools, sports and recreational and/or after school programs. The reality is that a great deal of bullying also goes on at both resident and day summer camps
• It is reported that 6 in 10 young Americans witness acts of bullying at least once every day. *
• Approximately 25 percent of school bullies will eventually be convicted of a criminal offense. *
*American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children – ASPCC
• In the US, studies show that seven in ten young girls are led to believe that they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school and relationships with friends and family members.
• 78% of girls with low self-esteem admit that it is hard to feel good in school when you do not feel good about how you look (compared to 54% of girls with high self-esteem).
• 75% of American girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities and behaviors such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking or drinking when feeling badly about themselves (compared to 25% of girls with high self-esteem).