Sheriff’s Deputies Save Baby Girl From Choking To Death
SAN DIMAS (CBS) — Authorities say a 15-month-old girl was saved Friday night when sheriff’s deputies kept her from choking on food at Bonelli Park in San Dimas.
Deputies were at the park helping lifeguards on a rescue call involving a child with a head injury when Grecia Omanate approached them around 5:30 p.m. Sunday, saying her daughter Janell was not breathing.
“(A deputy) quickly assessed the baby and saw she was blue and not breathing,” said Paul Schrader of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Parks Bureau.
“He then checked the airway for any obstructions and dislodged the debris from the infant’s airway, allowing her to breathe.”
The child was taken to Pomona Valley Hospital and was later released home with her mother.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)