FONTANA (CBS) — A 58-year-old man was killed in a collision involving a Fontana police squad car.

The crash occurred about 10:05 p.m. Saturday at Juniper Avenue and Ceres Avenue.

The deceased was identified by the coroner as Davidalia “Jose” Landaverde of Fontana. Initial reports said he was 62.

Landaverde was reportedly traveling west on Ceres when  witnesses said a marked city patrol car going east slammed into him broadside.

Landaverde was taken to Kaiser Permanente Medical Center where he was declared dead about 11:35 p.m., authorities said.

An investigation was under way.

Neighbors told CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Jeff Nguyen that Landaverde just bought his car, a silver Honda Civic, a few months ago.

Two other people were reportedly injured in the crash. It is unclear if his wife is one of the injured.

The two injured passengers, including Olga Mayorga, 80, a resident of Guatemala, were transported to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. According to Fontana police, the extent of their injuries is unknown.

Sandra Aguilar, who lives near the crash scene, said she heard the collision. “It sounded like a big boom. No brakes, no nothing. And we didn’t hear a police siren.”

Neighbor Ramon Limon called Landaverde’s death “a big loss for the neighborhood…for his family, for everybody.” He added, “He was a working guy. Early in the morning, when I wake up, he’s already in his truck ready to leave.”

The deceased worked in construction, according to neighbors. His wife runs a daycare out of their home.

Nguyen reports police have also not announced the condition of the officer involved in the crash.

Neighbors, according to Nguyen’s report, have been complaining about the intersection for years. Another crash there two years ago, also involving a police vehicle, took out a home’s retaining wall.

Aguilar said, “We’ve been asking for a light there for some time.”

Fontana police Sunday said the officer who was involved in the crash was transported to a nearby hospital where he was treated for his injuries and released several hours later.

The name of the officer was not released.

Comments (3)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE