Woman Severely Burned After Rocks Spontaneously Combust In Pocket
SAN CLEMENTE (CBS) — A woman is recovering from severe burns Thursday after the apparent spontaneous combustion of rocks found on an Orange County beach.
The 43-year-old woman’s children found seven of the rocks Saturday at San Onofre State Beach and gave them to her to hold.
After returning home from the beach, the small, smooth, orange and green stones somehow caught fire, burning her leg, fire officials said.
The woman’s husband doused the flames but suffered second-degree burns to his hand in the process.
The unidentified woman was hospitalized at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana with third-degree burns.
Hazmat crews have sealed off her home pending test results.
The rocks are being examined by Orange County health officials.
It is unknown how the rocks caught fire.