STAPLES Center Schedule, Street Closures For May 17 – 20
LOS ANGELES (CBS) — With thousands expected to participate in the free “Nissan Ride Before the Pros,” which takes place from 8:00-9:30 AM along a closed 5-mile downtown circuit, or line the same route to cheer-on their favorite professional riders entering the same route at Spring and Temple Streets beginning at 10:30 AM, there will be street closures and detours to ensure a safe experience for fans, riders and those arriving for the Kings game.
In particular, fans driving to STAPLES Center should be aware that street closures closest to STAPLES Center on Sunday will include:
• Figueroa Street from Pico Blvd. to Olympic Blvd
• Chick Hearn Court from Flower Street to Georgia Street
• Pico Blvd. from Flower Street to Figueroa Street
• Flower Street from Pico Blvd. to 11th Street
• Olympic Blvd. from Figueroa Street to Olive Street
• Olive Street, North of Olympic Blvd.
• 11th Street from Flower Street to Hill Street
• Hill Street, North of 11th Street
All of the above streets will be re-opened prior to the end of the Kings game.
Pedestrian bridges for fans wishing to cross Figueroa Street on foot have been erected at Figueroa Street just North of Chick Hearn Court/11th Street (same street) and Figueroa Street just North of Pico Blvd.
All eight NBA and NHL playoff games, including Saturday and Sunday STAPLES Center “doubleheaders” and the Amgen Tour of California will be broadcast live on U.S. network television and to millions more thru International networks of affiliates focusing worldwide attention yet again on Los Angeles and the best of professional sports.
FULL SCHEDULE AND QUICK FACTS
• Thursday, May 17th at 6:00 p.m. – Kings vs. Phoenix Coyotes (Game 3)
• Friday, May 18th at 7:30 p.m. – Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (Game 3)
• Saturday, May 19th at 12:30 p.m. – Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs (Game 3)
May 20, 2012 at L.A. LIVE and STAPLES Center
• Saturday, May 19th at 7:30 p.m. – Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (Game 4)
• Sunday, May 20th (from 10:10-11:45 AM – Amgen Tour of California (beginning on Rodeo Drive and entering downtown 5-mile circuit at approximately 10:35)
• Sunday, May 20th from 8:00 -9:30 a.m. – “Nissan Ride Before the Pros” (taking place on a closed 5-mile course from Temple & Spring Sts. to STAPLES Center)
• Sunday, May 20th at 12:00 p.m. – Kings vs Phoenix Coyotes (Game 4)
• Sunday, May 20th at 7:30 p.m. – Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs
• STAPLES Center has done 127 doubleheader conversions in 13 seasons. In the 2011-12 season the arena has hosted 19 doubleheaders so far (this weekend will make it 21).
• Converting from Hockey Ice to Basketball Court takes approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete.
• Converting from Basketball Court to Basketball Court takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete
• The double header conversion team consists of 35 workers on the event floor with an additional 125 members of a cleaning crew to clean the one million square foot arena. There are also workers in the catering, broadcast and event services departments participating in the conversion.
• STAPLES Center has 168 Suites and 53 Refreshment Stands
• On Sunday, May 20th the LA Kings will have 20,000 fans at STAPLES Center for 12:00 p.m. game; The Amgen Tour of California anticipates over 30,000 fans along the race route from 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and the Los Angeles Convention Center will have two conferences that will host over 18,000 guests. Fans our encouraged to leave plenty of time when heading to STAPLES Center or L.A. LIVE and to use pubic transportation.