Gas Line Severed, Fire Breaks Out On USC Campus
EXPOSITION PARK (CBS) — A gas fire broke out on the campus of the University of Southern California Friday morning.
The fire began outside of the Katherine B. Loker track stadium around 7:45 a.m., Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
A 1″ gas line was severed by construction workers, resulting in the fire, according to The Gas Company.
“Major gas leak at McClintock and Hellman Way near Cromwell Field. Fire Department on scene. Stay away from area,” the university said in an email to students.
An adult male was treated for minor burns, but did not require hospitalization, Scott said.
The Gas Company capped the leaking line around 10:45 and LAFD officials declared the area safe, USC said.
The accident is under investigation.