MALIBU (CBS) — Malibu High School, Juan Cabrillo Elementary School and Malibu United Methodist School are on lockdown due to an apparent bomb threat.
A bomb threat regarding Malibu High School was called at 11:07 a.m. Thursday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Malibu/Lost Hills station.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s public information officer Nicole Nishida told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO the multi-campus lockdown is intended at protecting the public.
“Currently deputies are searching the school and trying to determine whether that threat is indeed valid, and ensuring the kids’ safety and the public’s safety around that area,” said Nishida.
Nishida assured parents that the kids are safe and that they should avoid the area until the investigation is complete.
Earlier in the day, the principal at Malibu High informed parents of the evacuation.
“Dear Parents, I am writing to alert you that we found it necessary to evacuate classrooms,” principal Mark O. Kelly wrote in an e-mail to parents. “We received a phone call from what we believed to be a teenager who stated that a team of students were planting a bomb on the campus. We received subsequent calls containing additional threats to safety.
“We take all such calls seriously and immediately executed our emergency procedures for such issues. We immediately contacted the Lost Hills Sheriff Department. Per direction from law enforcement, we evacuated students to our evacuation area and placed the campus on lockdown, ensuring that no one other than law enforcement comes onto or leaves campus. The Sheriff is currently on campus and we are working with them to ensure that our students our safe. As soon as additional information is available, we will communicate it to you.”
No other details were immediately available.