Boy Accused Of Theft, Burglary With Kendrec McDade Admits To Charges
PASADENA (CBS) — The 17-year-old boy who was accused in a Pasadena burglary and theft with Kendrec McDade, who was later shot and killed by police, admitted to burglary, grand theft and failing to register as a gang member.
The boy, whose name was not released because he is a minor, was sentenced to six months in camp community placement. The boy admitted to two felony counts of commercial burglary, a felony count of grand theft and one misdemeanor count of failing to register as a gang member, according to Deputy District Attorney Anna Phillips.
The boy, along with 19-year-old McDade of Azusa, had been accused of burglarizing Arturo’s Tacos and stealing a laptop from a car in Pasadena on March 24. The owner of the car had called police and said armed men had broken into his car.
Neither the boy nor McDade was armed.
Police responding to the scene saw McDade running from the scene. Believing he was armed, Pasadena police officers Jeffery Newlen and Mathew Griffin opened fire when they saw his hands reach toward his waistband.
The 911 caller, 26-year-old Oscar Carrillo, was later arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter for allegedly lying to the 911 dispatcher.
Newlen and Griffin are on paid administrative leave. Carrillo remains jailed on an immigration hold.
The FBI is investigating whether the officers violated McDade’s federal civil rights.
»Funeral Held For 19-Year-Old Man Killed By Pasadena Police
»Pasadena Police Chief Speaks Out About Death Of Kendrec McDade
»Pasadena Police Invite FBI To Investigate Death Of Teen Killed By Officers
»911 Caller Says He’s Not To Blame For Teen’s Death In Police Shooting