FAIRFAX (CBS) — Several water main breaks caused street flooding and interrupted service Tuesday, according to the Department of Water and Power.
Water main ruptures were reported in the following locations:
- the 1100 block of McCadden Place at Santa Monica Boulevard and the 600 block of Waring and Cole
- the 6000 block of Waring Avenue at Cole Avenue
- 919 N. Croft Ave.
- Van Ness and La Mirada avenues
- Fairfax and Third
- the 300 block of North Vista Street
- La Mirada and Bronson avenues
Drivers were waterlogged when the mains broke early in the morning, flooding streets and buckling the pavement.
Several residents experienced low water pressure as a result of the ruptures, according to the DWP.
The DWP says it happened when they took the lower Franklin Reservoir offline for repairs and diverted water from an alternate source in North Hollywood. The pipes, many of them 50 years or older, couldn’t stand up to the pressure change.
Crews will be working through the night to plug the most recent leak and restore service to the last 20 homes affected.