US Appeals Court Upholds Ban On Affirmative Action In California

LOS ANGELES (CBS) β€” A federal appeals court on Monday dealt another legal setback to affirmative action supporters in California.

KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta reports the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld California’s ban on considering factors such as students’ race, ethnicity and gender in admissions to public colleges and universities.

The ruling β€” which was the latest in a string of legal challenges dating back to when voters first passed the ban over 15 years ago β€” upheld the court’s earlier decision back in 1997 that Proposition 209 does not violate constitutional rights.

Opponents of the ban who called for the court to reinstate affirmative action in college admissions were unfazed by the ruling.

“We’re disappointed, we wish that it had gone differently, but we’re not surprised,” said Donna Stern with the Coalition To Defend Affirmative Action.

The original suit filed by a group of University of California minority applicants against the state in January of 2010 sought to strike down the landmark Prop. 209 approved by voters in 1996.

Upon hearing of the ruling, affirmative action supporters signaled plans to ask for a full review by the full appellate court

“We’re not discouraged, because basically we believe that it’s going to take direct action to win higher underrepresented minority enrollment at the U.C. schools, and we’re prepared to organize that,” said Stern.

More from Claudia Peschiutta
Comments

1. Christina39 says:

Affirmative Action had to be the dumbest and most dangerous thing that ever happened to this counry. I was denied entry into nursing school with a grade average of 97% out of 100% while minorities were being admitted left and right who could barely read and who never graduated and some having this great opportunity got pregnant in the middle of nursing school and dropped out. I can’t really believe people want a substandard teacher, nurse, doctor, etc. I don’t want my doctor to be a doctor despite being an idiot. Social promotion is another joke on the American people. People with the good grades and intelligence should be the ones admitted to college despite their race or religion.

1. juan valjusco bajusco says:

Afirmative action is racism against people of color. TRUE People of color have blonde, red, brown hair and green, grey and blue eyes.

Abolish affirmative action, aka racism against people with beautiful beige/fair and tan skin.

2. ginny says:

I was raised by parents that always told me that if you studied and got the grades, worked hard and contributed to society you could get into college. I raised my son the same way, then when he applied to collges, he was only turned down by 1, a Calif. system school, and the letter actually stated that he was denied entry because that year they needed to have a higher minority female population. It’s in writing and I still have the letter. Forget that he was accpeted by 4 other of the top schools for the area he was going to study, his problem was not grades, it was that he was a white male resident of CA. Glad to see that the courts still are holding this ban in place.

1. Christina39 says:

Glad to see that an intelligent young man like your son will get the chance to go to college.

3. USC Trojan Girl says:

Why should a Hispanic or White student get priority over any other student? That’s insane! There should be a mandatory class in every single high school specifically aimed at Hispanic and Black students (which always do most of the whining)….lets calls it: IF ASIANS CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU. Asians are a minority and have the same brain hispanics and blacks do yet they step off the plane at LAX already knowing English and they are the most law bidding citizens in the US. It all boils down to morals, values, parenting, perseverance and NOT getting pregnant in your teens. Let me repeat that for all the hispanics and black kids out there NOT getting pregnant in your teens.

1. Bill says:

HAHAHA – SO TRUE TROJAN GIRL.AGREE 100% I WILL NEVER
      UNDERSTAND WHY SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY HISPANIC AND BLACK PEOPLE CAN’T WAIT TO HAVE KIDS UNTIL THEY ARE FINISHED WITH COLLEGE. I LOVE ASIANS – THEY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE BUT AT LEAST WHEN THEY CRASH INTO YOU YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THEY HAVE FULL COVER INSURANCE UNLIKE…WELL YOU KNOW

2. Christina39 says:

COLD, But so true. I think they are born pregnant. Asians do have their act together and the Asian women (I am a white woman) are very polite and not at all cliquey. or clicky or whatever. But Asians are very nice co-workers.

4. John Ashton says:

I don’t know about stepping off the plane speaking english, or most law bidding citizens, morals, values, parenting,not getting pregnant … your attitude toward asians is laudable; however they do a little better than blacks and hispanics but they also get more assistance too; nothing against asians but they have been much more accepted by the stereotypical caucasian population in these united snakes, i mean states of america..

5. Hiromi says:

I don’t want to sound conceited but Asian’s are the model minority. Drive down to my neighborhood where most houses are not houses they are castles (Arcadia) and see for yourself how tranquil and beautiful this city is. If the majority of Arcadia would be Hispanic or Black this area would be a dump (for lack of a better word). Every race has its pros and cons but when it comes to education and criminal statistics everyone wants to emulate Asians in these two categories.

1. Christina39 says:

I worked in Monterey Park and that was my first exposure to a very Asian neighborhood and I was impressed by its beauty and the nice attitudes of the Asian people. I was so impressed that I started going to the Buddhist temple on Atlantic.

6. marc says:

I am very simple in my thoughts. i own a business granted it is small but if i am going to hire someone and i have 10 people going out for the job i could care less if they are white, black, asian or what ever. i could care less if they are male or female what i DO CARE ABOUT IS THIS
    CAN YOU DO THE WORK
    CAN YOU SHOW UP ON TIME
    IF YOU ARE ILL AND HAVE TO CALL OFF WILL YOU ACTUALLY CALL AND NOT JUST STIFF ME.
    WHEN YOUR ON MY CLOCK WILL YOU GIVE ME AN HONEST DAYS WORK FOR THE PAY.
    WILL YOU BE HONEST WITH MY MONEY AND STOCK AND NOT POCKET MY STUFF OR GIVE DISCOUNTS TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
    i have found race and gender have no result on if a person is a good worker. morals and simple desire to do a good job has everything to do with it.

1. Christina39 says:

That is true, race and gender should have nothing to do with who gets into college. Intelligence and good grades should. Affirmative Action choses people below par because of their race and gender and denies an education or job to whites who are intelligent and qualified because they are white.

7. Cher says:

The color of any person’s skin should not reflect on being given preferential treatment. A ban on Affirmative Action is long overdue.

8. Christina39 says:

On their website BAMN, they say black and latino students are being descrimated against because they are not getting preferential treatment. Does that make any sense at all. I remember Affirmative Action and what the consequences were. DON’T DO IT AGAIN! Any black or latino who qualifies should of course be given equal rights just like any one else, BUT TO SAY NOT GETTING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT IS A GROSS INJUSTICE IS CRAZY!

9. marc says:

i use to live in Las Cruces New Mexico and I applied to the local Police dept. and was told i could not get hired in that round because i was not BI-LINGUAL i only speak english and they needed spanish speaking officers. so who got discriminated against in that one??

1. Christina39 says:

I and many family members lost a lot of opportunities in So.Cal because we didn’t speak Spanish and we were born here. Who got discriminated against. Long ago, my cousin couldn’t who was a trained paramedic could not get a job in So. Cal because he was not black or Hispanic.

Only the best despite what race they are should be chosen. How sad that some people think that is discrimation.

WE HAVE HAD HOW MANY YEARS OF HEAD START AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND IT DIDN’T WORK. I KNOW I WAS THERE. DOES THIS GO ON FOREVER UNTIL NO WHITE PEOPLE CAN GET A JOB. ALL IT IS IS DISCRIMATION AGAINST WHITES AND ASIANS.