LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Los Angeles County prosecutors declined to file an involuntary manslaughter charge Monday against a man accused of lying to a 911 dispatcher about being robbed by two armed men, one of whom was later fatally
shot by Pasadena police.
“We have rejected it pending further investigation and we are doing legal research,” District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said.
Oscar Carrillo, 26, was arrested last week on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of 19-year-old Kendrec Lavelle McDade.
Police on Wednesday released a copy of the 911 call made by Carrillo, who said he had been robbed by two people with guns the night of March 24.
Carrillo later admitted that while his backpack had been stolen, the suspects were not armed, police said. Based on the 911 call, however, officers who responded to the scene believed the suspects involved in the robbery had weapons, police said.
They found McDade running near Sunset Avenue and Orange Grove Boulevard, and officers opened fire, killing him. McDade was not armed.
The officers involved in the shooting, Jeffery Newlen and Mathew Griffin, have been placed on paid administrative leave while an investigation continues.
Police said McDade and a 17-year-old boy who was with him did indeed burglarize Carrillo’s vehicle and committed other commercial burglaries, but neither was armed. The boy has been charged with grand theft, commercial burglary and failure to register as a gang member as a condition of probation.
According to police, Carrillo admitted fabricating the story about being robbed by armed assailants, saying he was trying to get officers to respond faster.
Carrillo, identified by the District Attorney’s Office and jail records as Oscar Carrillo-Gonzalez, remains jailed.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)