Eight Apple Valley Middle School Students Hospitalized After Ingesting Valium-Like Drug
APPLE VALLEY (CBS) — Eight middle school students were rushed to the hospital Monday after they ingested a dangerous prescription medication.
Officials say a girl brought a drug, similar to Valium, to school, and passed it out to other students. Eight children who took the drug suddenly became lethargic and appeared to be in an altered state.
Paramedics were called and they were all rushed to a hospital, where they were treated and released.
The children were seventh and eighth grade students at the Phoenix Academy, a public school in Apple Valley.
Four of the students involved were back at school Tuesday, but at least one does not plan to return to Phoenix Academy.
Officials are deciding whether there could be criminal charges.