Former Police Officer Arrested For Allegedly Stealing From Charity

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A police officer, who was once called a hero, was in an Orange County jail Thursday night, accused of stealing money from a police charity.

A source close to the investigation said former La Habra police officer Kirk Lotzgesell changed his address and phone number, so that police could not find him. But on Thursday afternoon, they did.

Police tracked his real estate license number, posing as buyers in Norwalk, where they took him into custody.

Lotzgesell faces one felony count of grand theft after allegedly stealing more than $60,000 from the Orange County Cop Bowl Association – a group of police volunteers who compete against each other in football to raise money for youth charities.

Lotzgesell, 43, made headlines when he was shot in the line of duty in 2005.

One year later he was let go from the department, according to prosecutors. They said that is when he volunteered as treasurer of the association, falsely claiming that he was an active duty officer on medical leave.

Sources told us that is when he got his real estate license.

The 15-year police veteran used his position as the association’s treasurer to allegedly write checks to himself and access their ATM account stealing $60,000, according to the district attorney.

Lotzgesell’s arrest was not his first brush with the law. According to court records, he had been charged with domestic battery, but pleaded the matter down to a disturbing the peace charge. The domestic battery charge was dismissed six months later.

The Orange County Cop Bowl Association discovered the theft when the IRS questioned it about unfiled tax returns.

We tried to speak with several members of the board. They were hesitant to talk, but they did release a statement that saying that they “have faith in the judicial process and justice will prevail.”

Lotzgesell if convicted faces up to three years in prison.

More from Stacey Butler
Comments

1. CADILLACESCALADE says:

ANOTHER CORRUPT ORANGE COUNTY COP BEHIND BARS…….WHO IS NEXT?!?!?!?

2. John says:

LOL, THATS WHAT COPS DO!!!!

3. fullerton says:

Cop who steals, OMG, what next ? cop who shoots homeless people ? chief who goes on stress leave ?

4. GROWAPAIR \\// says:

1 less. LOL

5. 1stman says:

GROWAPAIR is a white, illegal, anchor baby.

1. GROWPAIR says:

Too bad it’s the balls up your ass that do all the talking as there are a lot of people that would want to be there to see you try.

2. 1stman says:

GROWAPAIR (a.k.a. mike)
      Medication won’t help the limp d!ck puS$y dumbf**k. It comes from having Robert Hale’s balls up its ass. It can only copy and paste to let everyone know it’s a puS$y dumbf**k. Count how many screen names the puS$y d!cklicker uses, it’s not difficult and everyone knows it’s the sh!tbreath

1. wg//af says:

So where were are you puS$y d!cklips? Still having your daddy’s balls up your ass do all the talking.

Hey 1stman, we all know it’s you hijacking screen names to say something stupid since you started using one of my screen names “up//yours.” Your limp d!ck fell off when I called you out to show your puS$y ass at a Kelly Thomas rally,chickensh!t no-show dumbf**k.
        So show your puS$y ass by where they had the Kelly Thomas rally. There is a sculpture that looks like a big check mark in front be there at 1:00p 02/22, if your $lut mama can sew your limp d!ck back on

6. mike says:

can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection. I’m such a puS$y dumbf**k with nothing to say I post to myself.

I’ll use your screen name next, puS$y d!cklips

Pah attention to me when I hijack these screen names to show I’m a puS$y dumbf**k loser

7. A Satisfied Citizen says:

Ain’t karma a b***h, you POS? I really hope you get shanked in prison, but they’l probably lock you up with special treatment won’t they? Too bad, they really should put you away with others you probably arrested for the wrong reasons..