Report: Fullerton Police Didn’t Mislead Public In Homeless Man’s Beating Death

FULLERTON (CBS) — There was no evidence that Fullerton police tried to deceive the public in the period following a violent confrontation between officers and a homeless man, an independent investigator released in a report Tuesday.

Kelly Thomas, 37, died days after the encounter with police, who were responding to reports of car burglaries at the Fullerton Transportation Center on July 5.

fullerton mug shot resembles kelly thomas Report: Fullerton Police Didnt Mislead Public In Homeless Mans Beating Death

(credit: CBS)

In the first of three reports to the Fullerton City Council, Michael Gennaco said police should come up with an updated policy on the release of booking photos. Police released an unflattering 2009 booking photo of Thomas that some critics claimed was an attempt to denigrate him. Gennaco said the photo was indeed Thomas, but he suggested that police could have consulted with the man’s family to arrange the release of a better photograph.

Thomas’ father didn’t initially believe the photo was his son but Gennaco insists it was.

“Gennaco and I are right on track with each other on all issues thus far,” Ron Thomas said after the report was released. “I see…there is justice for Kelly up ahead.”

The former deputy said Gennaco told him that he doesn’t believe the publicized mug shot was really his son, but that the phone call made by that inmate suggests it was him.

kellythomas with ron thomas Report: Fullerton Police Didnt Mislead Public In Homeless Mans Beating Death

(credit: CBS)

The investigator also found that the police department released an initial report that indicated several officers suffered broken bones in the confrontation. That was later found to be incorrect and Gennaco said the media should have been given updated information.

“The department would have been better served if there was a clarifying public statement about the new facts,” Gennaco said.

He made sure to clarify, “While there is criticism here about the decision…it should not be taken as an affirmation that this was intentionally done, or that this was deceptively done, or that this was falsely done. That’s not what the evidence has suggested in this case.”

Gennaco will make a second report to the council in March or April, according to city spokeswoman Sylvia Palmer Mudrick. In that report he will review the police department’s overall policies and procedures. A third report will be given to acting Police Chief Dan Hughes that focuses specifically on Thomas’ death. Gennaco said he is still working on the internal affairs investigation, which he was hired to lead, and should be done sometime in March.

In September, 37-year-old Manuel Ramos pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in Thomas’ death. Jay Cicinelli, 39, also pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter and excessive force.

Ramos, a 10-year Fullerton Police Department veteran, faces up to 15 years to life in prison if convicted. He’s being held on $1 million bail.

Fullerton Police Chief Kevin Hamilton stepped down last year in the wake of Thomas’ death.

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. William Schaeffer says:

NEW Fascist Police State of America

You Cowards

2. bebo says:

Fullerton unfortunately will be reaching deep into its coffers to pay for all the fall out from this case, damage control, restitution, settlements, payouts and pensions, trials, abritration, mediation, appeals – Fullerton will be making a handful of attorneys very wealthy.

3. USC Trojan Girl says:

They can release all the reports they want. Nothing will justify the killing of a shirtless/unarmed homeless man by two cops who thought because the guy was homeless they could get away with murder. WRONG! Can you just imagine what most cops got away with before the era of video cameras? A cops worst enemy now-a-days are not humans but cameras catching them abusing their power.

1. USC Trojan Girl says:

That was GROWAPAIR’s boyfriend PEOPLE!!!

4. sparky says:

They can have as many fact findings as they want, but the “activists” in Fullerton made up their minds long ago and aren’t particularly interested in the truth – not that these reports will in all cases be the truth. I’m not even sure if it’s possible to get to the truth. Fullerton will always be divided by this issue. It’s in the best interest of all toget some resolution and bring it to an end.

1. GROWAPAIR says:

So then SPARKY, tell us which one’s are the ‘”activists’” who have already “made up their minds,” the one’s who believe everything in the report(s) or the one’s who don’t…

1. sparky says:

GROWAPAIR

So then GROWAPAIR, it’s you puS$y dumbf**k.

2. wg//af says:

GROWAPAIR

On my way from Upland puS$y d!cklips, We’ll see if you show up. If so, I hope you ate your Wheaties.

3. GROWAPAIR says:

Well it’s ball-sniffing mikey, your aS$wipe posts on the first Kelly Thomas stories is what got you named a dumbf**k and that b.s. about meeting at an Upland health clinic added “puS$y” to your name, You’re still hijacking screen names proving it true, puS$y dumbf**k. Obviously, you haven’t lost having your daddy’s balls up your ass, sh!t-for-brains loser.

2. wg//af says:

Look at what’s back, and once again the chickensh!t aS$hat crawls out from under a rock with little to say except its daddy’s balls are still up its ass.

5. rufus says:

“…an initial report that indicated several officers suffered broken bones in the confrontation.” That’s not a lie? The report is just another attempt a obfuscation. Lies and more lies. All six cops should have been arrested.

6. Frank says:

Many Mexicans in Fullerton. Ramos is Mexican. Outstanding issues for many years to come.

7. GROWAPAIR says:

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection.

1. mike says:

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection. I’m such a puS$y dumbf**k with nothing to say I post to myself.

I’ll use your screen name next, puS$y