Family Devastated By Teen’s Suicide Will Work To Fight Bullying In Schools

LA CRESCENTA (CBS) — A week after a 15-year-old committed suicide, a community bands together to try to stop bullying.

Drew Ferraro jumped to his death last Friday — off the third-story roof of Crescenta Valley High School —  in front of horrified classmates.

His devastated parents say bullying was to blame.

Thursday, Ferraro’s parents, friends and family held a memorial service to try to find answers to questions they still struggle with. Mostly … why? What would lead a teen to that kind of desperation.

His loved ones are determined to make sure another family doesn’t suffer this kind of emotional pain.

Strangers also attended the memorial. Many were that moved by the story.

“It really impacted my life,” said student Kristen Ampig. She barely knew Ferraro, but no matter. “I know I’ll never forget him. He’ll always be in my heart and thoughts.”

Dia Cabrera echoed those sentiments. “Seeing someone you go to school with, just choosing to end their life…it’s a horrible feeling.”

On the back of a program that Drew’s parents handed out to all attendees Thursday, a special message on the back: “Zero Tolerance On Bullying.”

His parents didn’t want to go on camera — the grief is still too fresh — but they want to spread the anti-bullying word and vow to keep the message alive. For starters, they are asking the school to start an anti-bullying campaign.

They also handed out business cards with Drew’s picture on one side and contact information on the other side for suicide prevention.

Comments

1. Wolfman says:

I was bullied all the time until I learned how to fight then all the bullies wanted to be my friends

2. Miss M says:

The only idiots are you 2 Steve and la82 for trolling around looking for stories to post your stupid comments on.

3. Flo Steele says:

The media is carrying “Bullying” a bit to far. It’s human nature to make fun of one another. Peer pressure in school for some kids is sometimes hard to take, but it’s part of growing up and it’s life.
    I was made fun of, “Bullied” because I was fat sometimes, sometimes not. I was bullied by certain ethnic girls because I was pretty and ladylike and wore pretty dresses rather than pants. I was attacked in the school halls for this. I was able to move and go to a new school luckily and had no problems afterwards.

This boy did not commit suicide because he was bullied, he committed suicide over a girl he was hurt by.

Watch TV, watch shows like “Saturday Night Live” and you’ll see they constantly make fun of others for the way they look or talk, or what they believe in. This influences our kids more than people realize. Don’t blame bullying, blame society , blame “Human Nature” and life.

1. A says:

What makes you think that being bullied was not what led him to commit suicide, but instead because of a girl? Did you know him and his issues personally? In my opinion, bullying is not part of human nature and does not have to be part of growing up. Maybe you were strong enough to deal with it, but there are lots of people that are not. There are NO excuses for bullying!

1. GEAH says:

” In my opinion, bullying is not part of human nature and does not have to be part of growing up.”

You cannot be serious. Bullying happens in every single culture on Earth.

2. CV parent says:

Being made fun of to hurt people ongoing is not OK. I am sorry you were too pretty causing jealousy in others. Not sure what facts you know or if you attend or have kids that attend CVHS but this boy was bullied. To say he wasn’t is to call his family liars. How close are you to this family and the boy and what they were dealing with? Do you have the full story? I doubt you do. I think you need to get your facts clear – all of them. It sounds like it is people like you who down play the affects of bullying since you placed the word is quotes.

4. Mike Weakley says:

Bullying is a serious problem affecting millions of children every year. It can interfere with their social and emotional development, as well as their school performance. 19,000 children attempt to commit suicide every year as a direct result of being bullied. To help combat this, I have put together a bully prevention show for elementary schools & libraries called “The STOP Bullying Show”. Based out of Orlando, Florida, the show raises the awareness of bullying in a fun & engaging way; while teaching kids what they can do to put a stop to it. Highlights of the show can be seen here…

5. ns says:

I’m glad you were able to get away from your tormentors by going to another school. Not everyone has that option or the fortitude to rise above small, petty people. I do not agree with you that it is Human Nature to make fun of other people. It is a learned behavior tolerated and accepted by a weak society. Standing up to bullies is harder than joining in or walking away.

6. Another CVHS parent says:

If it were human nature to bully, everyone would bully others. As a matter of fact most people do not bully – just those who have deep emotional problems themselves that inflict their pain on others. It is up to us who don’t bully to watch out and take care of those underdogs that others seek out to hurt and ostracize. We are our brother’s keeper.

Numerous kids were aware that Drew was bullied – yet it happened everyday to him. Those kids are now broken hearted because they wish they had done more to prevent it and had reached out to him. Maybe his death will make a difference to other vulnerable children in all high schools.