KFI’s ‘John & Ken’ Suspended For Calling Whitney Houston A ‘Crack Ho’

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — KFI-AM radio’s popular afternoon talk show hosts John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou – “John and Ken” – were suspended Thursday for comments made on their radio show in the wake of the death of Whitney Houston.

The suspension is effective immediately, according to a statement from KFI that did not include the specific comments that led to the disciplinary action.

According to the New York Daily News, John called Houston a “crack ho.”

““It’s like, ‘Ah Jesus . . . here comes the crack ho again, what’s she gonna do? Ah, look at that — she’s doin’ handstands next to the pool. Very good, crack ho . . . ‘ After a while, everybody’s exhausted. And then you find out she’s dead. It’s like, ‘Really? Took this long?’ ” the paper reports.

The duo will be back on the air Feb. 27.

“John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou have been suspended for making insensitive and inappropriate comments about the late Whitney Houston,” station officials said in the statement. “Management does not condone, support or tolerate statements of this kind.”

In the same statement, Kobylt admitted the duo erred.

“We made a mistake, and we accept the station’s decision,” he was quoted as saying. “We used language that was inappropriate, and we sincerely apologize to our listeners and to the family of Ms. Houston.”

Houston died Saturday in Beverly Hills. Officials are waiting for toxicology reports to be completed to determine a cause of death.

Comments

1. dragon says:

They got suspended for speaking there mind and more or less speaking the truth. So much for freedom of speech in this country wonder how much the family payed the radio to do this.

1. publius says:

It’s “their”, not “there”, and “paid”, not “payed”, idiot. And trampling on someone’s grave is a low brow thing to do, Dragon, just for your information. I’m sure you wouldn’t want someone saying these things about one of your family members. Besides, Whitney Houston had tons more talent than these two bozos will ever have.

1. mike says:

Hey Publius, i would not worry about someone calling one of my family members a “crack ho.” You know moron? because nobody in my family does drugs. Look who’s calling other people idiots. Look in the mirror before you open your big mouth!

2. JANICE says:

oH HERE WE GO KEYBOARD GANGSTER

3. Robicon says:

I’m curious as to when the truth became inappropriate. Great ploy., though, diverting attention from the truth by pointing out spelling errors, or by unfounded name-calling. Are you really sure what another person’s family members would want, or are you just displaying the same level of ignorance of which you accuse others? My compliments to the almighty publius for getting this far in life without a single mistake.

2. dennie says:

I agree – where is freedom of speech?. It was perhaps an insensitive remark for some – but if you don’t like what you are listening to – then change the station!

1. Rich says:

Listen Dumb Dumb, that’s way the radio station suspended them, for using an insensitive remark to describe someone who is deceased. You just can’t say any old thing, what if this was one of your kids? you people are hypocrites.

2. mike says:

DumaS$es

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$wipe lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection.

3. takhoi says:

You’re right !

4. bob says:

They were free to speak their mind but the radio station has the authority to pull their show, it happens all the time

3. Dyanna says:

The only reason they were suspended by the radio station was so they don’t lose funding and listeners by coming off as insensitive.

They were speaking the truth and I hope they enjoy their “vacation”.

4. jack says:

All the people who are whining about free speech and the first amendment are showing their ignorance. The first amendment protects people from censure or punishment from their GOVERNMENT. It has nothing to do with employees being punished by their employers in a privately owned business. I suggest you walk around at work tomorrow yelling out that your boss is a crack ho and see how far your free speech argument gets you.

2. fastfreddie47 says:

Whitney says she dont do crack, cause she got money and can afford to freebases,

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

YO MIKE…..PLEASE GET A LIFE!!!!!!

3. Disgusted says:

These clowns got suspended because they were grossly insensitive. Again. We have freedom of speech in this country, but you can’t go around smearing a person’s character. The cause of death has not been released and in light of her recent passing they should have been more sensitive to Whitney’s family and her MILLIONS of fans around the world. Really, John and Ken should just go off the air permanently. And all you loser making dumb comments should go back to school and learn how to spell. Good grief. Sad state this country is in…

1. Bryan says:

‘And all you loser making dumb comments should go back to school and learn how to spell.’ Ummm, and you should learn proper grammer, and sentence structure. Last reply got taken down. Anyone who speaks up is a racist, or part of the 1% it’s old, and scary as hell. I am neither, but she was a druggie, and no one seems to care. Yeah, it’s sad she died, but they were on their own station talking to their own audience.

1. Christi says:

If you are going to pick on someone for using bad grammar, then be sure you do not add a typo either. Loser?? Losers. I think people have way too much time on their hands. Freedom of speech, is no longer free. And sad, they chose to make comments (true or false) in the manner they did, but if people do not like what they said, there is always the OFF button on every radio. I happen to be a listener of KFI and do not always agree with all of their comments, but I happen to like their candor and all too often, they get slammed for making them.

2. El Muerto says:

The 1st ammendment doesn’t say anything about being sensative.

1. bob says:

so if I work at a church and screem praise satan in the middle of a sermon they don’t have the right to fire me?

They have the right to say what they want (they wern’t hauled off to jail) , but the corporation has the right to fire them for the act

3. mike says:

Hey English major, it’s losers, not loser. Go back to school and learn to spell. Good grief!

4. biggbaby151 says:

@ Disgusted I 100% agree with you!!!

5. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

AMEN

6. JANICE says:

lol she smoked crack so how the hell is the smearing her character????

4. Larry Wheaton says:

I find it interesting that the media has a problem with the truth when it comes to entertainment individuals. It’s like no matter what they do or did it doesn’t matter if they can sing or dance or put a ball through a hoop. Michael Jackson had the problem with children, yet none of that came up from the media when he died. Houston had drug problems and recently alcohol problems as well, but I guess when you die you get a free pass if you are a celebrity. John and Ken speak bluntly about everyone, this isn’t news. It was disrespectful of them but then again, they disrespect a lot of people who do similar things. They are entertainment, not news.

1. Robyn says:

They use to be entertaining.. not anymore! I stopped listening to them long ago, and personally feel that that she should have long been replaced..They take the class away from KFI. I hope they lose their jobs.. In spite of these jokes.. I love listening to Bill Handle and others!

1. mike says:

Robyn, who really cares what you think. I hope you lose your job because your name is Robyn. You’re an idiot!

2. Bill says:

I agree Robyn, I stopped listening to KFI about a year and a half ago, John & Ken being the major reason. As far as I’m concerned, they move from one flavor of the week to another. However, it is their job, to generate ratings for KFI.

5. KOBE says:

I hope this is not an attempt to silence the only sensible voices in California. The politicians are trying to quiet John & Kent because they expose corruption.

1. Bryan says:

Exactly what I thought when I first heard of it.

2. SterlingSilver says:

Kobe, I concur, and I believe you are on to something to be true! I believe that their show is being heard intently and being reported to certain powers that be, & now they were caught saying something about someone that has gone a bit overboard.

John had to apologize, otherwise he would have been sued, along with the company, and their bosses would fire John & Ken program.

Nonetheless, in spite of what John stated about Ms. Houston, I am glad that the John & Ken program expose corruption that is taking place by lowly people in positions of power whom unfortunately, we the people elect these people into that power.

I am grateful for John & Ken for being a voice of many who don’t have the opportunity to speak out in public on a large scale that KFI has. However, I only wish that John & Ken would stop hating so much on people who are not Anglo-Saxon.

The one flaw that I hate most about John, is that his voice and expression of it can be understood by simply reading between the lines perse. John’s abhorrent hate that he appears to have for Mexican people, as well as other non white people, can clearly be heard in his voice when he speaks of Latinos.

I hope one day one of his sons ends up marrying a full fledged born and raised Mexican woman, & this way, one day he can have half Mexican grand children!

I have seen the hate power that the John & Ken show have caused with division among people in California. I have seen clips on You Tube where John & Ken happen to be rallying behind the minute men of Orange County. There were a lot of Caucasian people who were spouting horrific & degrading words to Mexican people, as well offending “American Latin” people. It did not matter that they were speaking to other “Americans,” it only mattered that the other people were brown, and the hate spewed from their lips! It’s a shame that it was all in the name of the “Orange County Minute Men” And all of this is just not my opinion, it can be viewed by anyone on You Tube. Alright, I’ve stated my piece, and now hopefully I wont be suspended for stating my comment.

3. Dyanna says:

Finally a comment from someone who actually make sense and speaks the truth. Good job!

6. JF says:

Uncivilized barbarians like these two cowards need to be signed off permanently. Don’t call KFI to complain, call the parent company, Bain Capital. I did and I let them know they will be held accountable for the actions of their employees. Bain owns a lot of companies, one of which I do millons of dollars of business with. That spend with a Bain company will be coming to an end in the near future.

1. Bryan says:

Damn, really? How sad is the world where everything needs to be sensored. So many are offended by them. I am beyond offended they would suspend them for 2 weeks, for saying something, on the radio, to their audience, when anyone can just change the station. The fact you do millions of dollars of business with them. Who cares? Wow you are soooooo powerful, man your cool…

2. Tom says:

You should spend some of your fortune on English and grammar lessons.

3. mike says:

I’m sure they really care about your money. But i think you’re full of it anyway! I’m sure your important phone call went in one ear and right out the other, that’s how much juice you think you have.

7. Liver Lips says:

Now where did all this stuff about Whitney having a drug problem come from? You can never believe the media these days.

8. El Muerto says:

Did they lie?

1. Graceful says:

She may have done crack back in the day ? But she was never a crack ho ! I doubt that most people even know what that really means . Unless you grew up around it or in the ghetto . You really shopuldn’t be calling someone that .It’s really low and disrespectful . She passed away , so please let her RIP …

1. Dyanna says:

And you know this how?? You and her were buds and hung out on the corner together doing crack?? She just gave it away to her dealer? You made the statement that “she may have done crack back in the day but was never a crack ho”. Back up your statement, How do you know this???

9. Mike Merryman says:

Heck with her.
    She was a loser.
    Now she is dead.
    My world keeps spinning.

10. Valerie Peregrin says:

A person has a right to their opinion, “Freedom of Speech” but when they are on the job and representing a company and/or using a microphone as their platform that company has the right to fire or suspend them for acting innapproriate and misrepresenting them.

11. Debbie says:

People have rights to their opinions but not on the job. Not only is this low class but it places the company in a very bad position. The company has the right to fire them if they choose to do so and Ken and John should be thrilled if the company decides to keep them.

12. Brad says:

I have yet to see the family admit that she was an alcoholic/addict. They are not to blame, but would do the world good by admitting it so that other people might reach out to help their own family members. They are now in a position to make a change and should take advantage of it.

13. stoley eisenhower says:

who’s ken and john? are they those right wingers who always have something ignorant to say? If so, then I am not surprised at the insensitivity of these right wing clowns.

14. KeithS says:

I enjoy listening to these guys but in this case I think they were stupid. By that I mean it is one thing to have some “fun” with the fact many stars dig their own graves but they played the forbidden “Race card” with the crack-ho comments. If she was white, would they have said the same thing? Even if they had, it wouldn’t have had the same reaction I’m sure. .
    We can debate whether free speech is the issue all day but they picked on her color and these days, as Don Imus learned, there is a fine line between simply ripping into someone and using their race as part of the ripping.

15. David Heath says:

Finally- whilst flags are at half-mast, obsequies made and angelic choirs sing their glorified praise, someone speaks truth to media-created spin. Houston was of no use to anyone these past twenty years- a drug-addled criminal neglecting her daughter and showing her contempt to all without shame. I think of those such as in Australia who gave her their money to be presented with a spoiled, self-satisfied unprofessional starting the show hours late, unable to hold a note and then leaving early. For this I should pay my respects and shoot down any who dare disagree?

16. publius says:

Mike, you sound like a naive, self-righteous, self-important dolt who probably wouldn’t even know if someone in your family did have a drug problem. But enough of this. RIP Whitney. Thanks for the great songs.

17. Rich says:

These trashmouth idiots need to get off the air, put on their klan hoods and stay in their trailer homes.

18. Rich says:

RIP WHITNEY, YOU’LL BE LOVED AND YOUR LEGEND WILL BE DEFENDED FROM BIGOTS!

19. Timothy McGarry says:

Now I know why he spells his name with a ‘K’. He’s Klassy.

20. Chuey says:

I think the world has known she was an autopsy waiting-to-happen, for many years now. No surprise. Her family blames the ex husband. All very predictable behavior when you have dealt with addiction. However; I think J&K were spanked for giving out presidential motorcade security matters over the air instead. The Whitney story just makes for good cover.

21. Phil says:

Who’s the ‘Ho’? KFI management or Whitney?

1. Al says:

KFI management is pimp’n J&K

22. Leigh says:

While I think Houston was an immensely talent singer, she corrupted her life by straying away from the life she had before the fame. It was unfortunate the way John & Ken expressed their message, but the essence of it was true. She threw away her career when there are thousands of people out there that would love to have her success. Such a waste. I hope those who haven’t tried drugs, legal and illegal, will take note of her example. Society seems to pay so much attention to the illegal use, but legal drugs kill and maime more people than illegal drugs. Michael Jackson died from using legal drugs, as one example.

23. GROWAPAIR \\// says:

John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou are “white maggot dumpster trailer sh!t-bags” LOL

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

And your a moron.

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Isnt your mother a crack ho?

24. George says:

If you’re offended by what they’re saying, simply change the station.

25. John Ashton says:

Are these the 2 racist that were stirring up hatred toward mexicans a few months ago?

26. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

More like chuckleheads than racists. Kind of like that bozo grow a pair…

27. FRANK says:

GUESS WHAT PEOPLE,IF IT WALKS LIKE A DUCK,TALKS LIKE A DUCK……..ITS A DUCK!!!!!!!!!….JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS.

28. Catie says:

Frank, you are absolutely right. Johnmay have been a bit over the top, but the truth sure hurts, no???

29. me mae says:

Some of you people are so STUPID, you just dont talk about any body like that ,,,DEAD or ALIVE,, All you have to do is use common sense,, I AM SO<SO <SO GLAD THEY GOT SUSPENED, I HAVE BEEN JUMPIN WITH JOY SINCE I HEARD ABOUT THEM TWO NERDS< IM SO HAPPY< YOU JUST DONT TALK ABOUT PEOPLE THAT WAY,SO THINK NEXT TIME STUPID,,HA HA HAAAH

30. ketracel says:

Strange that the thing that was found to be so offense is repeated and repeated by the news media. If it was so offense, why are *they* repeating it? Now even I am hearing it and I never listen to that show.

31. RealTalk101 says:

At the end of the day regardless if these two low life’s want to insult Whitney.. At her WORST she is above and beyond them at their BEST! So while they hand their little moment on air, and their average size fan base… Whitney will have a legacy that will out live whatever they have accomplished in life!

32. RealTalk101 says:

Also for you people saying it’s the “truth”… I think the WORLD knows that, and hell she even admitted she was an addict. However, to call her a “crack ho” is like saying she was so lowly prostitute who sold her body for drugs, and WHITNEY HOUSTON was SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT! So if you want to state the truth at least have enough CLASS to state it correctly!

33. thinker says:

Some thoughts here; Had J & K been black, what if ? ….Who do you suppose has been waiting for this “toungslip” ??…. Where will those who look for political clairity and guidence be if J&K are gone for good ?? ….Not to mention the old saying “you’re only as good as your last foul-up” These guys can get govenors shamed out of office , bad bills exposed, truth resurrected , etc….. Like ’em or not, who would pick up the torch ?? Think about it.

34. k hurn says:

again in trouble for saying a fact , she was a crack head . she was worth 220 mill when died 10 mill , hummm where did all the money go . whaz up here , freedom of true speech is grounds for suspension , unreal . everyone thinks shes like a god ..lol

35. WileyInCA says:

Here’s the deal … yes, we have freedom of speech in this country; however, along with that right comes responsibility. Just because you have the “right” to say something, doesn’t mean it is right to say anything. Making insensitive comments for the purpose of garnering ratings is simply pathetic and uncouth. There is so much of that going on in the media and the public (that’s all of us, folks) buy into it by continuing to listen, read, and watch. I have never thought Ms. Houston was perfect … there are very few people who are. I just wish we could all be a little more understanding and gentle with each other.

1. Donna says:

Bring John and Ken back. They call it like it is! They could have left out the “Ho” comment. Whitney did this to herself. Let’s not glorify this drug addict! She had money, fame, looks and talent and couldn’t handle it. Not many in life get such an opportunity only to toss it all away! Other people suffer terrible in life yet choose to make the best of their situation. It’s clear that Whitney must have thought only of her own personal pain. How selfish! She had a lovely daughter now left behind and a mother that has to deal with the loss of her child.

36. Echo Sierra says:

Should have used the gender neutral term “Crack head” , apparently.

37. jack says:

All the people whining about free speech and the first amendment are just demonstrating their ignorance. The first amendment protects people from being censured or punished by their GOVERNMENT for what they say. It has nothing to do with what happens in a privately-owned business and its employees. I suggest when you are at work walking around telling everyone your boss is a crack ho and see how far your free speech argument gets you!

38. Marion Allen says:

Before smearing someone name or Charcter.You or whoever the Smear is
    Should look deepi nto your Closet,see whatyou have done in life. Noone is
    Perfect. LOL don’t Cast the first Stone.