WATCH LIVE: LOCKDOWN LIFTED AT LAX, PLANES AND PASSENGERS JAMMED LAX Lockdown Lifted, Airport Jammed | Listen To KNX 1070

3 Camp Pendleton Marines Killed, 1 Critically Injured In Dana Point Car Crash

DANA POINT (CBS) — A speeding car crashed into a tree in Dana Point early Tuesday, killing three U.S. Marines based out of Camp Pendleton and critically injuring a fourth, authorities said.

The Dodge Stratus crashed at Golden Lantern Street just past Terra Vista at 2:05 a.m., said Orange County sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino.

Two men died at the scene, and one died at a hospital, Amormino said. The fourth man was hospitalized in critical condition at Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo.

KNX 1070’s Ron Kilgore reports a former Marine honored his fallen comrades by placing a hat at the scene with a makeshift memorial.

“Once a Marine, always a Marine, that’s what we stand by,” said Christopher Hillbert. “It’s just one way I can show them my respects.”

Names and other information on the victims have not been released.

Authorities were trying to determine if alcohol was a factor in the crash, Amormino said.

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

More from Michele Gile
Comments

1. FidelityBraveryIntegrity says:

Too sad!!

2. Darryl says:

I bet they were drunk. Why do people give a pass to Marines’ obnoxious, belligerent behavior because they assume they’re all “heroes,” when, in fact, many of them would literally be in prison if they weren’t wearing a uniform. I lived in San Diego – trust me. I know.

1. sparky says:

Yes, they were drunk, just like the several high school kids who have been killed in drunken crashes this year. Why do we give a pass to this behavior? A lot of professional athletes would be in prison if they weren’t wearing a uniform. At least most of the Marines are serving their country – I have a feeling that’s more than can be said about people like you.

1. GR0APAIR says:

CandyO

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$wipe lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection.

2. john1956 says:

why not because you say not too

3. Wolfman says:

It is even worse if they become cops and wear a uniform

1. mike says:

How would you know that Wolfman? Are you a crimonal that comes in contact with law enforcement alot? I would assume you are with a stupid comment like that!

4. mike says:

Darryl,

Trust me, you’re an idiot.

3. sparky says:

Why do we give a free pass to all of the Hollywood types who drive while drink and/or high on drugs? Because they are responsible for generating tons of money into the SoCal economy, and because they can buy themselves out of trouble. At least the Marines were serving their country. We all make mistakes.

4. Darryl says:

Sparky, you don’t even know me to say anything personal about me. I’m just saying people are very iignorant to assume all people who “serve their country” do it for noble reasons. Many sign up because they think it’ll get them laid and/or they can’t find a job in the private sector. Then some – not all – of them behave like neanderthals and society thinks they’re heroes? I think not. I lived in San Diego – many of these guys are low-lifes. Not all. Just some. That’s a fact.

1. Randy says:

Darryl: Your first comment said “many of them would literally be in prison if they weren’t wearing a uniform”. I served in the Marines from 1981-1985. Yes, we had a few dirtbags, but most were very decent individuals. Time usually catches up with these bad indivuals and they are eventually taken to office hours, court martialed, or given various forms of discharge. To generalize and say “many” is a huge stretch. This was probably just some young guys kicking up their heels/acting foolishly and things went terribly wrong.
      You replied to Sparky that he couldn’t say anything personal about you because he doesn’t even know you. I have news for you, your words speak volumes about who you are. You use an anecdotal observation of living in San Diego and observing the poor behavior of a few individuals out of tens of thousands in the area to come to a categorical generalization. Highly educated people typically do not do this, so it seems very unlikely you are in that group.

2. mike says:

Well Darryl, many people would think that you”re a low-life for having a name like Darryl. Or maybe they think you’re a low-life because you lived in San Diego. Your comment is pointless! I don’t see you enlisting, or doing anything substantial for this country. Why don’t you do society a favor, and stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. LOSER!

3. GROW\\APAIR says:

CandyO

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my own protection.

5. Astonished says:

Darryl;

Yes, it’s .true, being a low-life occurs in the military as it does in all other walks of life. However, people tend to weight such things a little less when someone puts their life on the line.

Yep, low-lives exist everywhere, trust me I know, And that’s a fact.

6. 1stman says:

CandyO

I can’t even get a job.That’s because that aS$hole lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours], [Mike in San Diego], [Mike in Upland], [1stman] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection.

7. rukidnme says:

People – these Marines are “Human Beings” just like you and I. The comments should be something like we are keeping their families (mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, etc) in our thoughts, not ridiculous, non-intelligent negative comments about their profession or whether their was alcohol involved in the crash. Irrelevant – These men have lost their lives (most of which put their lives on the line for our freedom everyday) and their families are changed forever. Sempfer Fi Randy! – the rest of you grow up and get a job to occupy your time!

8. Mr. Sensible says:

I guess if you’re a Marine you have entitlement to be a reckless drunk and put the lives of others on the streets at risk. The driver was reported as intoxicated, and I’m sure all the passengers themselves were drunk cos if they weren’t there would have been a designated driver behind the wheel. Had the 4 people in the vehicle been gang bangers there would be a whole different perspective and attitude about what happened. NOBODY should be behind the wheel drunk, and when you go out as a group, no matter if your military men, cops, or thugs, you need to respect the lives of people around you, and have a designated driver. No excuse, especially if you represent a law enforcement agency or our military.

9. garmin nuvi 1300 says:

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you want be handing over the following. sick no doubt come more in the past once more since exactly the same just about very incessantly inside of case you protect this increase.