‘Soul Train’ Creator Don Cornelius Found Dead After Apparent Suicide

SHERMAN OAKS (CBS) — “Soul Train” creator Don Cornelius was found fatally shot at his Sherman Oaks home Wednesday morning.

“Our Van Nuys detectives as well as our Robbery Homicide detectives looked at every possible way at determining that there is no evidence of foul play and that Mr. Cornelius passes away as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” said Sara Faden of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Law enforcement officials say Cornelius was discovered at 4 a.m. in the 12600 block of Mulholland Drive with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the upper body. He was transported to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

1317729 Soul Train Creator Don Cornelius Found Dead After Apparent Suicide

PHOTOS: Don Cornelius

Soul Train debuted in 1971 and ran until 2006.

Cornelius, who hosted the show from 1971 to 1993, ended each episode with: “And you can bet your last money, it’s all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I’m Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!”

Cornelius pleaded no contest to misdemeanor domestic violence in 2008, two years before he and his wife divorced.

Sources say he had been in poor health for the past few years.

“I am shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden passing of my friend, colleague, and business partner Don Cornelius,” Quincy Jones told the Associated Press. “Don was a visionary pioneer and a giant in our business. Before MTV there was ‘Soul Train,’ that will be the great legacy of Don Cornelius. His contributions to television, music and our culture as a whole will never be matched. My heart goes out to Don’s family and loved ones.”

Cornelius was 75 years old.

» PHOTOS: Don Cornelius Through The Years

1. Frankie Potsnpans says:

rip don… many a saturday mornings spanking away to the soul train girls

1. Whiskey Tango 44 says:

One down and many to go.

2. Everyday Guy says:

And black music has descended to a cesspool known as rap. Oh, and I liked his brother Yukon Cornelius.

1. groapair says:

one would think that rap and hip-hop was invented by a nazi in order to kill off all latinos and blacks.but it wasn’t

3. Lisa Ragnauth says:

RIP Don Cornelius… Sad… But, there will always be reruns airing, celebrating the good times when soul was the Sh@#$*& !!!! PEACE!!!!

4. Cardell Moore Jr. says:

His life wasn’t wasted,he truly brought alot of joy and pride to being black. My prayers go out to his family. R.I.P Mr. Cornelius! We love you! (Black America)

5. frankjr56 says:

What a sad legacy if Soul Train and a contribution to this sick culture is all he accomplished and will be remembered for, an undone soul is far more serious and tragic!

6. Michael J. McDermott says:

7. jocuri trenuri says:

Magnificent web site. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks in your effort!

8. buy property in australia says:

hey there and thanks for your information ? I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did on the other hand experience some technical points the usage of this site, since I skilled to reload the web site many occasions prior to I may just get it to load properly. I have been pondering in case your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often impact your placement in google and could injury your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot extra of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you replace this again very soon..