Somali Pirates Threaten To Kill Surfing Journalist From Manhattan Beach

MANHATTAN BEACH (CBS) — Somali pirates are threatening to kill a surfing journalist from Manhattan Beach if Navy SEALs attempt to rescue him.

Michael Scott Moore, who is researching for a book on piracy, was abducted 10 days ago by at least a dozen men in two SUVs.

The armed kidnappers, who reportedly took him to a village on the Indian Ocean, are now demanding ransom for his release.

Last week, U.S. Navy SEALs rescued American aid worker Jessica Buchanan and her Danish colleague from the pirates.

Moore, who wrote “Sweetness and Blood”, a critically acclaimed book on the history of surfing, is one more than 150 people still being held by pirates.

His condition was not immediately known.

Comments

1. tobias says:

Well, it is an election year, but more importantly, we will now see if that idot in the big oval has any real balls. Time for some government to government with some real balls! otherwise turn it over to those REAL men in the pentagon! Either that, just give me one division of US Marines and I’ll put a perminant end to this piracy business in Somalia!!

1. bdj says:

That’s some really big talk. What makes you some special that you could do what other’s have not been able to do?

2. bdj says:

Sorry, it should read, “What makes you so special that you could do what other’s have not been able to do?”.

2. tc says:

I thought the family requested withholding his name and picture, because relatives believe identifying him would increase his value to his abductors.

If you ignored the family’s request, I hope you are legally liable if anything happens to him.

3. Tony says:

@Tobias, REALLY? Your answer is to have balls? Do you have a problem with your manhood please hold your self from responding and go get checked by a physician. PLEASE DO US THAT FAVOR!! But in regards to this report well I’m sure he knows there were pirates there and yet yo go, with no regards or thinking of any consequences. I feel for his family but maybe he should of waited on going into a hostile area until its safe or go with protection. Your putting our SERVICES MEN in DANGER! I know they might not mind but I rather have them going after REAL TARGETS!! Not these worthless pirates…

1. be nice a hole! says:

@tony, really!!!!

You know there are women in the armed services too, you dummy!

1. Tony says:

My apologies to you “be nice a hole” I didn’t know there was a difference, so sorry for not being politically correct but I do not discriminate in the persons sex. So to clarify when I said Service Men I meant to include women as well. Also if you were calling me an a hole, sorry to be an a hole but people with machismo attitude irritate me. Have a nice day.

4. Josh Metcalf says:

too bad its not the other Michael Moore in which case we could leave him to swing in the breeze .

5. John says:

These pirates have to know they’re dead already. The best thing they could do once this got international media attention was release the guy and run like hell. They just became a potential example to their fellow pirates of what happens when you touch an American.

As for stopping the piracy itself, good luck. It’s been going strong pretty much since man started sailing the seven seas. Short of genocide, I don’t think it’s possible to end Somali piracy at this point. You just have to make your own people too costly to mess with.

1. yourbiznes says:

Any vessel that is not sufficiently armed to completely take out the Somali Pirate’s ship, should not be sailing any where near their area. As for land attacks, let the traveler beware.

6. Vincent Santiago II says:

REGAURDING Local Surfing Journalist Kidnapped by Pirates in Somalia : THIS MESSAGE IS TO KIDNAPPERS OF THE AMERICAN JOURNALIST. I VINCENT SANTIAGO II, DESCENDANT OF THE APOSTLE JAMES, AM ASKING YOU TO PLEASE RELEASE THE JOURNALIST ALIVE. IF YOU DO NOT RELEASE HIM FREE THEN I WILL GO TO THE LORD CHRIST JESUS WITH THE MATTER FOR HIS INTERVENTION. IT WOULD BE IN YOUR OWN BEST INTEREST TO RELEASE HIM ON YOUR OWN FREE WILL… LET ME ADD THAT IF SHOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE LORD CHRIST JESUS WITH THE MATTER THERE WILL BE NO ESCAPING THIS MATTER. MAY THE LORD CHRIST JESUS CLEAR YOUR MINDS SO THAT YOU MAY FIND GOOD REASONING. —– PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO THE TO THE AREA WHERE THE KIDNAPPERS CAN READ IT. Please Translate If Needed. Thank You.

7. Vincent Santiago II, Descendant Of The Apostle James. says:

REGAURDING Local Surfing Journalist Kidnapped by Pirates in Somalia : THIS MESSAGE IS TO KIDNAPPERS OF THE AMERICAN JOURNALIST, And All The Prisoners You Are Holding. I VINCENT SANTIAGO II, DESCENDANT OF THE APOSTLE JAMES, AM ASKING YOU TO PLEASE RELEASE THE JOURNALIST ALIVE, And The Rest Of Your Prisoners. IF YOU DO NOT RELEASE HIM And The Others FREE THEN I WILL GO TO THE LORD CHRIST JESUS WITH THE MATTER FOR HIS INTERVENTION. IT WOULD BE IN YOUR OWN BEST INTEREST TO RELEASE HIM And The Others ON YOUR OWN FREE WILL… LET ME ADD THAT IF SHOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE LORD CHRIST JESUS WITH THE MATTER THERE WILL BE NO ESCAPING THIS MATTER. MAY THE LORD CHRIST JESUS CLEAR YOUR MINDS SO THAT YOU MAY FIND GOOD REASONING. —– PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO THE TO THE AREA WHERE THE KIDNAPPERS CAN READ IT. Please Translate If Needed. Thank You.

8. E says:

FIRST: The guy is smart, he knew exactly what the worst-case scenario was in going to Somalia.

SECOND: YOU are the idiots.

THIRD: None of us has the intel to know whether this is a potential SEAL mission.

FOURTH: I’m pretty damn sure that if is a SEAL mission, they won’t be announcing it ahead of time. Duh.