Get Street Smart With ‘Street Safe’ On Your Phone
STUDIO CITY (CBS) — Tom Rissman, CEO of Street Safe, visited the KCAL9 studios Thursday to share some safety tips for college-aged kids.
Rissman’s product, Street Safe, turns smart phones into mobile personal security systems. It combines wireless networks with GPS technologies and a 24/7 state-of-the-art monitoring center that offers LIVE off-duty law enforcement officers and trained security advisers to talk to.
StreetSafe has two primary features. It offers an instant silent alarm, if you need help immediately but can’t dial 911, just swipe the red button and it will contact 911 and provide the police with your GPS location and profile so they know who they are looking for and can find you quickly.
The “Walk with Me™” service is a personal escort. In a situation where you are uncomfortable, maybe walking to your car late at night or see someone that is making you a little uncomfortable simply swipe the green button, and you are connected to a live, professionally trained Safety Advisor to talk to you for as long as you want until you have reached your destination safely.
Street Smart ranges from $19.99 per month or $149.99 per year.
1. Let friends or roommates know where you are going, who you are with and when to expect you home
2. Never leave outside doors propped open, and don’t let strangers into secured buildings or residence halls.
3. Never accept a ride from someone you don’t know, even if they are or claim to be a fellow student.
4. When approaching your car or residence, have your keys in your hand and check the area for suspicious individuals or activity.
5. When walking by yourself, keep your expensive belongings such as laptops and cell phones hidden. You will be less of a target.
6. When dressed for cold weather, make sure your vision and hearing are not obstructed by hats and scarves.
7. Consider taking extra measures to protect yourself. StreetSafe is a new service that uses your smart phone’s GPS technology to instantly connect to help before a situation turns into an emergency. StreetSafe’s “Walk with Me” service offers a live connection to a professional Safety Advisor to keep you safe when walking in unfamiliar or threatening surroundings and instant access to 911 if needed.
For more information on Street Safe, visit the company online.