Caught On Tape: Mailman Sends Cuckoo Clock On Wild Ride

NORTH HOLLYWOOD (CBS) — A North Hollywood man was tracking his rare and pricey package and its every move … but he never thought he would see his cuckoo clock fly on its own.

Randy Paige spoke to the homeowner who caught his delivery man lobbing (make that hurling) the package over a fence.

By estimation, the package was tossed at least 15-20 feet, says Paige.

The homeowner told Paige he was home at the time of the delivery and told the mailman he would be at the door momentarily. Homeowner Mike Oreb told Paige had to put on pants. “I was in my boxers!” Oreb says.

For some reason, he says, the mailman couldn’t wait.

The postal worker — who remains unidentified — is then shown sending the package flying.  Says Oreb, “I was kinda in shock. I can’t believe he did that.”

Oreb called the Post Office to complain. “And when I told them I had it on video,” he says, “they were here in about ten minutes.”

The fragile clock was…well, a bit cuckoo when he opened the box. “The second hand was cattywampus. The chains were all out of whack,” he said.

Paige says the Post Office would not provide anyone for an on-camera interview in the Los Angeles area. But they did say that carriers are instructed, if they can’t deliver a package, safely, that it should be returned to the Post Office.

Oreb was more than willing to speak his mind. “Every time I look at the video, I just go, ‘Ouch,'” he said.

Paige says they have offered an apology to Oreb and says a claim for damages has been initiated.

Oreb only hopes this story is a reminder to all carriers — someone might be watching and have your every move on tape.

Comments

1. Timothy McGarry says:

Where were you guys when the FedEx driver swiped my wife’s jewelry box she’d been tracking all damn day?

2. Ed Dart says:

You tracked it all the way, but why didn’t you have your pants on for delivery?

3. jerry says:

post office executives don’t know why the post office is losing money, lots of money,there is your answer!!!

4. Uhoh says:

This idiot will lose a good job with good benefits for his dumb actions.

5. Eric. S says:

My wife and I had something similar happen in Glendale. We ordered an item through Amazon that shipped UPS Basic, which transfers packages to local USPS upon arrival to your city. Postal worker didn’t even climb the stairs all the way. Just went about half way, then THREW the package to the top. Luckily, it wasn’t anything fragile. I Emailed my complaint. Their response: They’ll look into this. And the NEXT sentence was of course trying to push the blame to someone else. “We instruct all mailers to package their products properly. Packages are sorted by machine and sometimes dropped from conveyer belts to other belts….:” Etc etc.
    What does ANY of this have to do with the mail carrier THROWING my package up half a flight of stairs, not even bothering to knock??
    And they wonder why no one wants to use their service anymore

1. wD ObAmA says:

Yet another example of why EVERYTHING run by the morons in DC is broken. Between them and the Union morons; we are all doomed!!!

6. Fullait says:

What happened to the postal worker? I DEMAND he/she be fired! I use the mail nearly every day. That person also works for you and me.

7. Yakoona says:

Q-see camera. Hahaha…. look at the poor image quality. The tree is supposed to have green leafes.

8. Matt says:

Stupid move by the delivery guy, but nice exaggeration by the reporter. The video shows the box landing about half-way between the fence and the tree but then the reporter stands next to tree and says this is where it landed.

Nothing beats the truth like a good story!