Nearly 2K Nurses Walk Off Job In Long Beach For 24-Hour Strike

LONG BEACH (CBS) — Nearly 2,000 registered nurses at two Southland hospitals took to the picket lines Thursday as part of a 24-hour strike.

LISTEN: KNX 1070’s John Brooks reports

The walk-out affecting Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and the affiliated Miller’s Children Hospital began at 7 a.m. Thursday.

nurses strike1 Nearly 2K Nurses Walk Off Job In Long Beach For 24 Hour Strike

The union representing the nurses — the California Nurses Association — claims that the hospital won’t negotiate health care coverage for the nurses even though hospital costs have not risen.

At issue are the rising out-of-pocket costs to nurses, according to the union.

The nurses are also concerned about the growing number of patients that they have to attend to.

A spokesman for the hospital, however, says that Long Beach Memorial is nonprofit, resulting in money generated going back into the community.

Thursday’s walkout marks the fourth within a year and a half in Los Angeles. The last strike took place last September.

Comments

1. Support says:

Lets see, hiring freezes, increased patient load, increase in insurance costs with no coresponding increase for the hospital?

100% support these nurses…Better than striking though, go and find a better opportunity and leave that insane asylum.

1. fox mulder says:

thats coming with obamacare

2. Xen says:

I always thought the doctors and nurses at L.B. Memorial worked for free since it’s non-profit.

3. Jason Mays says:

Thanks to illegals for closing 76 hospitals and getting free healthcare.
      800,000 in LA of a 2,400,000 population costs each citizen about $550 a year.
$1,660,000 spent each day on them in just LA
$22,000,000,000 spent on them by the state
AND
1/4 of the state budget is spent on them for education, they are 50% of the students in CA and the education budget for the state is 50% of the budget.
They closed 76 western state hospitals, why is health care so costly?

HOW’s that sanctuary state thing going?

1. Ron says:

And a LARGE portion of the kids are illegitimate sons and daughters of Mayor V. and the numerous Hispanic politicians(or relatives of theirs) in OUR GREAT STATE.

2. fox mulder says:

good….keep walking….there’s plenty of people out of work who would love to have your jobs

1. So sad says:

Maybe you don’t mind unskilled nurses caring for your loved ones, but the rest of us do. Way to hate on your fellow worker…remember your snide comment next time a nurse takes the time to help you out.

1. Concerned Citizen says:

Nurses make eighty grand per year and others make more.They can afford to pay for their own health care.

2. mary says:

The strike is about that I fact that I have a 2 critical care patients in the ICU with interventions required every hour and if I have to go to Cat Scan with one of them – there is no one to watch the other one. We are requesting a 4% raise vs. the 3% increase the hospital offered – it is not about money. Also – I pay over $700 a month for my healthcare and it is going to increase. Also – I have been a nurse for 10 years and make less than $65,000 a year before taxes. Please be informed before you comment – thank you

3. Claire Danes says:

If patient safety is the real concern they wouldnt be putting their patients in this unsafe position by striking. Get real – its about money.

1. 'GROW'APAIR says:

Claire Danes

I can’t even get a police job.That’s because that lawyer Robert Hale from Hale and Nguyen in Brea couldn’t help me with my case. Now I’m a bitter aS$puck that has a beef with law enforcement and everybody on the internet. I used multiple screen names like [GROW..APAIR], [wg//af], [up//yours] and [kma] so no one can track me down. I challenge people to meet me in front of the Fullerton P.D. station for my protection.

1. Go Away says:

Paranoid much, Grow? Nobody is after you. No one wants to track you down. But if you’re looking to fulfill any requests then here’s mine: Stop posting idiotic, racist, hateful, negative, paranoid comments in these forums or any forum. If you want to help humanity in the slightest, you’ll comply with my wishes. I know I’m sick of reading your useless words; I’m sure others are too.

2. What's It All About Anyway? says:

You hit the nail on the head, Claire. It’s about money, money, money. If these were REAL, CARING nurses who took the honor of making someone better than they would NEVER strike. Their patients come first. That’s why they are nurses. Well…. maybe not THESE nurses. Obviously money comes first to them. Glad I don’t live in Long Beach to have these money-grubbing, selfish nurses take care of me.

1. Ron says:

IT IS THE UNIONS !!!! BUST ALL UNIONS !!!!

2. Mary says:

No – Money, Money, Money it is not about money. I am loosing money by not working during the strike and the hospital offered us 3% and we are requesting 4% – not a big difference in money. It is about that I have a 2 critical care patients in the ICU with interventions required every hour and if I have to go to Cat Scan with one of them – there is no one to watch the other one. Please be informed before you comment – thank you

3. mary says:

No – Claire it is not about money. I am loosing money by not working during the strike and the hospital offered us 3% and we are requesting 4% – not a big difference in money. It is about that I have a 2 critical care patients in the ICU with interventions required every hour and if I have to go to Cat Scan with one of them – there is no one to watch the other one. Please be informed before you comment – thank you