Scared, Hungry And Abandoned: 2 Mountain Lion Cubs Rescued From Under Burbank Car

BURBANK (CBS) โ€” Two malnourished mountain lion cubs, abandoned by their mother, were rescued Wednesday after residents allegedly tried hitting them with brooms.

Burbank Animal Control officers received a call about the cubs hiding under a vehicle around 10:40 a.m. in the 600 block of E. Orange Grove Avenue, police said.

mountain lion Scared, Hungry And Abandoned: 2 Mountain Lion Cubs Rescued From Under Burbank Car

(credit: Burbank Police Department)

โ€œThe cubs were badly malnourished and it appeared they had not been fed by their mother in a few weeks,โ€ Burbank police said in a statement.

The cubs weighed 5-pounds each and were estimated to be around 10-weeks-old, animal control officials said.

The cubs were handed over to the Department of Fish and Fame and taken to the Wildlife Station in Calabasas.

Officials placed the cubs with another littler in hopes of improving their health.

Comments

1. * says:

Ohhh !!!! Good Job Guys !!!! Thanks to everybody that helped in saving those little guys ……Christmas may have come early for those 2 lion cubs๐Ÿ™‚ Hopefully they will adapt well with their new mommy…….

2. rita gonzales says:

I am glad that they were rescued. They seemed to be in more danger from the residents hitting them with brooms.

3. Dottie says:

How could you be that cruel or stupid to beat 2 baby mountain lion cubs with brooms. They are smaller than my house cats. Poor babys, I hope they will be OK now.

4. Izz says:

I dont understand how people could be so cold and heartless to such addorable helpless creatures, I am so glad they managed to stay together and are now being cared for.

5. Jon Anthony says:

These people are too stupid to have brooms and maintain any sense of hygiene.

6. Dave Newell says:

What the residents should really worry about is where the mother is. I hope animal control has it figured out that the mother lets her cubs go but generally stays in the area a while.

7. reminds me of when women went hysterical and needed "something" for their problems. says:

The broom beaters should be left where the cubs were found, hand/leg cuffed at that. Then maybe they’ll see that nature has a way of taking care of itself.

And I do have to give Dottie a thumbs up on her comments, they are spot on.

8. Terry says:

Did this happen in Burbank Ca? I googled 600 east orange grove ave and it is a city habitat. How could a mountain lion get there?

9. Terry says:

Okay I zoomed out and it is near some mountains. Cant imagine the mother having cubs near the houses. Maybe she got killed.

10. Charlotte says:

Well thank goodness someone had the sence to call Fish and Game. HItting them with brooms….seriously, some people are ignorant. Glad they were rescued and are now being taken care of.

11. rtg says:

People were hitting them with brooms? Really? Little, bitty 5 pound cubs? These little guys are just adorable!

12. scott says:

haha, burbank Fish and Fame…only in CALI.

13. Me says:

Oh… how cute! At 5 lbs each, they are harmless. I would have scooped them up and brough them inside away from those broom wielding idiots! Then I would have come outside with my own broom…

14. icecream says:

I wish I had found them. I would’ve adopted them…but for only a few weeks.
    Cute kitty, Nice kitty. Let me pet you……..AHHHHhhhhhhhhhh !!!

15. Larinna Chandler says:

Big meanies!!! A broom? Come on, my shelter rescue kitten…who coincidentally was found under a car when he was 6 weeks old is now about 13 pounds. I would have grabbed a net and put them in a box…and called the fish and game people- away from the broom wielding people. And then me being me…I would have tried to pet them. And gotten rabies shots..and laughed at…yeah. I would have…Probably would have tried to pet them twice too, just ’cause they were cute!๐Ÿ™‚ ouch!!

16. Randy Flockton says:

I did not know we had a department of Fish & Fame! Will the cubs become famous now?

17. Billybob says:

Look ! more of those “endangered” cali mntn lions. Are there now so many the mothers w/young hunt in our cities at night. all the Kittie huggers are out in force as well, I see, I guess the occasional missing child is a small price to pay for that photo op in BURBANK !

18. Lrusch2 says:

Stupid mean people !!! Thank goodness they were rescued. Poor kitties!

19. sheila rahimzadeh says:

I would name them one of them bur and the other one bank

20. architectural photography wiki says:

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest factor to consider of. I say to you, I definitely get irked even as people think about issues that they just don’t recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the entire thing without having side effect , folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you