Starbucks Customer Killed, 2 More Hurt After Car Crashes Into Fillmore Store

SIMI VALLEY (CBS) — One man was dead and two more people were recovering from injuries on Wednesday after a vehicle crashed into a Southland coffee store.

Deputies responded to a call at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday night from the Starbucks store located 650 Ventura Street in Fillmore after a vehicle drove into the store and injured several customers.

The vehicle broke through the store’s east wall, went through the lobby area and came to a stop inside the front door.

One of the customers, Sergio Mendez, 30, was pinned against the front door frame by the vehicle before he was eventually pulled out by firefighters.

Mendez sustained multiple internal injuries and later died during treatment at Ventura County Medical Center.

Two other customers were treated for minor injuries at the scene and later released from the hospital.

While drugs or alcohol use were not suspected as factors, investigators said driver Michael Cedarland, of Pasadena, may have lost consciousness while driving.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation.

Comments

1. John Estrada says:

It’s odd that these people were hurt on Wednesday but the cops responded the evening before. QC CBS, QC.

2. Carrie Bennett Rowe says:

On Wednesday, one person was dead and more were recovering… from an incident that took place Tuesday night. Just sayin’.

3. jimmy says:

The FBI and DEA fabricate evidence, steal from suspects and use murder to close those bad cases.
    At the corner of Calaveras and N. Park Victoria in Milpitas California two corrupt DEA allmost caused the death of an elderly lady while they where harrassing a suspect.
    The elderly lady was crossing the street about 15 yards ahead of the suspect’s car that was going west bound on Calaveras after having just pulled out of the Shell station. One of the DEA in the bus stop near the Shell station tried to gain the attention of the suspect thereby almost causing the car to hit the elderly lady. The other DEA was at the Shell station.
    They have also recently, on several occasions, entered my home while I was not there so that they can get better access to my vehicle and loosen steering linkages, remove wheel weights, tamper with breaks, tamper with transmission linkages, etc… Every time I detect that they have entered my home, my dog looks like he is not feeling well. Why take my insolence out on a dog?
    They are also shooting BB guns at my car while driving. One instance they shot a BB gun at my car in a very busy intersection of highways 680&101 while I was traveling 55+ mph.
    They have been harrassing me for 20 years.
    The DEA is part of the problem and not solution. Apart from being the proxy force for the DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) and the NSA, they have been a failure since Nixon’s inception. The DEA could benefit from a large buget cut and employee rift to remove the corrupt ones.

1. bounce says:

Jimmy, did you forget to take your meds again?

4. Melvin Blake says:

Slow down people, leave the job to the minuteman. They aim pretty good!

5. MENDEZ C says:

HE NOT ONLY KILL MY HUSBAND BUT HE KILL AT THE SAME TIME CUT OUR LIFE SHORT AND ALL OUR DREAMS I HOPE HE PAYS FOR WHAT HE DID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CAN’T LET THIS GO UNPUNISHED