Suspected Gunman Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting In Hollywood

HOLLYWOOD (CBS) — A suspected gunman is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Hollywood.

Los Angeles police said they received a call about a man firing shots at random vehicles near Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street around 10:30 a.m. Friday. A witness told CBS2’s Randy Paige that the suspect shot as many as three cars.

Witness Oscar Herrera told CBS2 that the gunman was walking north in the middle of Vine Street with his gun pointed in the air, and he fired at passing cars.

At some point, Herrera said, the suspect ran out of bullets and brandished a knife.

“He put the gun in his waist and he walked down there. And that’s when a policeman came this way, near the bank, and he saw him with the knife and the gun (and) he started shooting at him like maybe four or five times.”

Herrera said the man was screaming, “Kill me … I’m gonna die!”

The man also reportedly yelled, “Is this the end of the world?” and “Is this the end of my life” at the top of his lungs.

The Los Angeles Fire Department said two people were injured in the shooting. One person was transported to a local hospital and is in critical condition. Police wouldn’t say what hospital the man was taken to but it is believed the victim, a man in his 40s, was taken to Cedars-Sinai.

Police are conducting an investigation. But called it a case of “Suicide by Police,” where a despondent individual wants to die but wants cops to take them down by lethal force. Witnesses said police repeatedly asked the gunman to drop his weapon but he didn’t comply.

Officials have not announced a motive for the attack or named the suspect. Friday evening, all authorities would say is the shooter was a 26-year-old white male.

Micah Williams, another eyewitness, told KCAL9’s Amy Johnson “I heard the third bullet ricochet right by our heads, and said, ‘Dude they’re shooting at us!’ I turned around to see a guy pointing a gun at me and my friends, and I said, ‘Oh crap’, and we ran and hid behind the tower.”

Williams saw the gunman shoot a man in a Mercedes. “I ran up to the car, to see if the guy was alright. And he was shot in the neck and he couldn’t talk. At this point, I just started screaming for an ambulance.”

Dave Pepper was across the street, ordering a #1 at the McDonald’s drive-thru. The gunman came up to his car but didn’t fire. “Why he didn’t pull the trigger,” says Pepper, “I don’t know. I don’t know. He put the gun right up to my window.”

(UPDATE: 10 p.m. Friday) Three men were shot. One man, shot in the neck, is in critical condition. Another man was grazed on the left thigh. He was treated at a hospital and released. Another man sustained cuts on his face when his car window shattered. He was also treated and released.

Sunset and Vine was closed until midnight.

Comments

1. Jeter Mayweather says:

I waiting for the first comment saying the cops should of used less force..great job guys!

1. Mike says:

Ahhhh….yeah….I disagree you. They reported that the man was shooting his weapon in the air and aiming it at innocent bystanders. The cops told him to drop his weapons and he did not comply….so what do you think is going to happen. LAPD is going to protect the public and themselves. So, I say good job LAPD. Thank you for protecting the public.

2. Tom says:

“I waiting” for you to learn English… and it’s should have, not should of.

1. Jeter Mayweather says:

I was being sarcastic, One person on this board will say the cops were wrong, I said good job for killing the dude.

2. Smokey says:

How pathetic. Couldn’t they just talk to him??? I mean, after all, mentally il folks aren’t dangerous. We all know that. They can’t hurt you. Another out of control response by the LAPD. And there must have been a mental health professional close by. Doesn’t LAPD keep them in the car with them , just for these occassions? There are alot of crazy people in Hollywood, so LAPD should have psychologist avaialbe all all times in this area.

1. dc says:

you are an idiot…he had a gun, case closed

1. J. Rod says:

dc

Smokey was being sarcastic to prove a point. If you had the chance to read any of his previous posts it would become clear. He knows there will be people saying, “why wasn’t a taser used etc., etc.” He knows it was a justifiable shooting, but is making a response in anticipation to the bleeding-hearts.

2. Burn says:

He was being sarcastic…so who’s the idiot now? LOL!

2. chuck says:

I was right there a half block away, saw the craziness happening at that intersection as he was randomly shooting at passing cars and pedestrians. The number one goal of the LAPD (and they did an excellent job) was to stop the guy as fast as possible.

3. Jeter Mayweather says:

see I found one, you must live in a other world. psychologist doesn’t stop a knife or bullet.

4. Bob Sheep says:

Sarcasm does not translate well in text.

5. rg says:

I agree, Smokey, the LAPD should have tried to talk him into blowing out his own brains without shooting anyone elses.

6. Keith says:

How can you talk to a crazy person wielding a gun and knife? think of the public safety issue.

3. Astonished says:

According to another news agency, this guy was shouting that he wanted to be killed. Guess he got his wish!

1. wobbles says:

Protect and serve. The neighborhood wanted to be protected and he wanted to die.The neighborhood got the protect part and he got the serve part. Win-win.

2. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

shut up f@ggot @ss d!ck fly !!! u kill him wit aids !!! bee-itch

3. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

FUK U GROAPAIR because they’re not yours they yo mammas’

4. Xen says:

That’s one less dirtbag to deal with. Way to go Los Angeles police.

5. krg says:

that’s two criminals down in one day. It’s a good day in LA.

All I can say is I hope that cop doesn’t lose one wink of sleep and I would like to personally thank him/her for dealing with the situation in a way that prevented any other innocent bystanders getting hurt.

1. JS says:

Thousands of moms are hard at work replacing him.

6. bman says:

I work down here and saw the end of it. That cop should have no problem with his actions what so ever. The guy was shooting at anything and everything for no reason, obviously a danger to society. What they don’t mention in the article is that it happened right in front of a school where a lot of innocent students could have been hurt as well. For once, nothing but props go out to the L.A. police on this one. Good job guys!

1. chuck says:

What school? I’m curious as I work at NOS and don’t know of a school right there at Leland and Sunset. I as well think the LAPD did an excellent job in the chaos surround what we were watching happening this morning. A lot more people could have been hurt or killed had the LAPD not acted so swiftly.

1. bman says:

This happened in front of the LA Film school where there are literally hundreds of students walking in front of that building every day, all day. Across from the cineplex.

2. Null says:

bman – literally in front is right in front of LA Film school… on Sunset, in front of Ivar and Morningside.

And aren’t those film students studying on how to recreate violence such as this on film, for fantasy and profit, glorifying killers punks like this?

Hypocrites.

7. Roger says:

“..two people were injured in the shooting..” This will come back to bite the good cop doing his job ‘if’ one of those injured as a background victim. And of course someone will say ‘Oh, hey, wait a minute. The bad guy was out of bullets…” Ever cop who does his job still fears the repercussions of PC based revue. Prompt action on the scene, a good shoot but it isn’t over for the officer. Hope the dept. will stand with him!

8. Mike says:

From a taxpayer’s standpoint, a bullet is cheaper than life in prison.

9. Null says:

When geek millennials go wild.

Thank you LAPD.

10. John Estrada says:

Seeing this occuring someone should have just run his ass over… but then they probably would have been charge with assualt with a deadly weapon by the D.A.

1. rg says:

You’re right but, I would have taken my chances and still ran his ass over…

11. Liberals_Republicans_Killing_Civil_Liberties says:

He probably saw a glimpse of the future.

WW3 with Iran, China, Pakistan and Russia.

Open your eyes and lift the spell that is the Governem

12. jimmy says:

The FBI and DEA fabricate evidence, steal from suspects and use murder to close bad cases.
    My dog was poisoned to death, a stolen car was run into the front of my house, gang members are harrassing me, I get death threats, BB guns are being shot at my car when I drive, my car is being tampered with, money and jewelry has been stolen out of my house and these corrupt DOD employees are using torture as a punishment.
    Typical D.O.J. Investigation except they have been harassing me for 20 years.

13. HappyAmerican says:

Is anyone going to comment on CBS2’s decision to assign “Randy Paige” to cover this story? If you haven’t grasped the irony of this already, let me give you a hint: the media is describing this as a “rampage.”

14. Jack Ravio says:

Great reporting:
    “Dave Pepper was across the street, ordering a #1 at the McDonald’s drive-thru.”
    Now we all know Dave Pepper is fat & has diabetes.

15. Eddie Sour says:

Wow! This is exciting. Los Angeles get its very own FAKE SHOOTING STORY, just like our neighbors in Arizona, with their Gabby Giffords shooting hoax b.s. Naturally this happened in the middle of Hollywood. “It looked like a movie! It was so surreal!” say the bystanders. That’s because it wasn’t real. It was fake. A hoax. Google “PSYOPS”. Don’t believe the news. We’re being lied to.