Only 14 Homes Remain Without Power After Last Week’s Wind Storm

ARCADIA (CBS) — Only 14 homes were still without power Thursday morning after last week’s violent wind storm interrupted service to more than 400,000 Southern California Edison and DWP customers.

Crews have been working around the clock to restore power, but thousands of homes were without electricity for more than a week.

The California Public Utilities Commission has launched an investigation into why it took so long to restore power to so many residents.

Los Angeles County supervisors also reprimanded Edison, which still has 1,000 employees working to restore power, earlier this week.

Temple City Mayor Tom Chavez says power crews faced massive destruction and major obstacles.

“The magnitude of the damage that was done, I think it just takes time to get through it,” said Chavez. “I think it was more just the task itself. It certainly wasn’t for want of trying.”

Temple City resident Steven Cen says he’s happy the state is now investigating.

“I think it’s necessary because it’s really taking too long,” said Cen. “My friends, they’re three, four days, still no power.”

Comments

1. gabriel says:

i’m still waiting for you guys to come to my house.

2. Mikie says:

People have to realize that…These guys (SCE Workers) are in NO HURRY mode, being that 7 days ago, they were probably coming off their “Full Time ” shift….thus making the last 8 days…..”TRIPLE TIME” PAY! …..Go figure? ….would you be rushing?

The first place …that I would investigate, is their “Time Cards”!

3. Joe says:

Replacing poles, overtime, lost income from not being able to charge for power.
    The customers of SCE are going the be paying big for this one. It would not surprise me if the SCE tries to double there rates by summer of next year.

4. bugman says:

Back in the electrical crises in 2001,2 I bought a generator for $125.00,at a pawn shop in Orange.brand new,had a tornado come through Lake Elsinore couple years ago.Ran my frig and 2 neighbors for for 2 days.I run it once a month to make sure for the next crises!!!

5. Buddy System Solar says:

LA county is so large and life for most continued on without a hitch after the wind storm. Because of that it makes it hard for many to understand no power for 7 days. On the east coast storms hit, roads close and the power goes out and everything comes to a stop. Everyone recovers together. The best thing to do is be as prepared for anything as possible. A very difficult task. http://www.buddysystemsolar.com

6. Lisa Franklin says:

JUST THANK GOD IT WAS ONLY ELECTRICITY PEOPLE. IT WAS MOTHER NATURE. WHAT’S WRONG LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT SMALL THINGS. WOW YOU GUYS ARE SPOILED RICH PEOPLE. TRY GROWING UP WITHOUT LIGHTS, GAS AND FOOD. WOW.

7. Michael J. McDermott says:

It sure is windy up there. Up there in Valencia, that is.
    (psst-find me on facebook)