City Offers ‘Occupy LA’ Protesters Freebies To Leave City Hall

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The city is offering “Occupy LA” protesters freebies in an attempt to get them to move from the lawn of City Hall.

City leaders say demonstrators have been offered 10,000 square feet of office space for just $1 a year, as well as area for farming, and housing for the homeless.

Demonstrators learned about the offer Monday evening during their nightly general assembly meeting, but protesters say it’s difficult to communicate because the crowd has grown so much over the past seven weeks.

“For the general assembly, they’re using a system like not amplified sound, but there’s people with their own amplified sound who just come and yell things and disrupt it,” demonstrator Ryan Smith told CBS2’s Joy Benedict.

Even those in support of the offer say it would be difficult to get every single protester to agree to move at the same time.

Dozens of people were arrested last week when the group marched through downtown Los Angeles.

Comments

1. Rose says:

Come on LA and grow some balls and kick the loser’s wanna be woodstock drifter’s out. Whatcha afraid of a lost vote? Geeze…………maybe you wanna give me some free office space and farmland so I can grow vegetables/pot, I could make a descent living growing and selling pot.

1. Whisky…Tango… Foxtrot says:

I’ve heard everything now!! The Democrats have ran most every business out of town so now LA tax payers can pay to house these Lazy Stupid Dirt Bags.

2. Zita Gonzalez says:

Thank you!!! I though I was going crazy and was the only one who thinks this stuff is NUTS!!!! 99% my foot!

2. whazup says:

Doesn’t anyone ever offer incentive for the hard working people who actually pay taxes to run this POS city? …..time to move out of California the Welfare Capital of the World

3. Astonished says:

Hey, if my family and friend squat on the mayor’s lawn and call outselves Occupy someone thing or the other, can I get a home for $1.00 a year plus land and privledges? NOT! My guess is the only home I’ll get will have bars all around it.

THIS SUCKS in the face of every City resident who pays taxes! Oh, and get the reporting right. It’s not the City offering this sweetheart deal, it the MAYOR. He encourged them to stay and now they’re and embarrassment! Why should the City’s taxpayers have to foot the bill for maintaining this bunch! I say send them and HIM on their way, OUT OF THE CITY!

THIS IS REDICULOUS! BE GONE, LEAVE, GET OFF OUR PROPERTY ALL READY!!! YOU’VE WAY OUTSTAYED YOUR WELCOME!

1. Sue Nahmi says:

I couldn’t agree more!
      LOL @ ” My guess is the only home I’ll get will have bars all around it.”

4. Mikey says:

This mayor is an idiot.
    Appeasement never works.
    These OWS “protesters” need to be served eviction papers and then physically removed if they disobey lawful orders to vacate.
    Same as what Bloomberg did in NYC.

Rest assured, I will do everything legally possible to get Antonio V. removed from office for doing this BS appeasement.
    These “protesters” have had plenty of time to have their say.
    It’s time for the good taxpaying citizens of this city to have their say as well.
    Enough is Enough!
    Time to remove this Astroturf, Communist, Anarchist movement from City property.

5. Dale says:

What a joke! Award idiots for their bad behaviors. It is like raising a child. If he or she does something wrong, do you give them candies and money to make them stop? All those politicians want to do is to keep their high-paying jobs and cater to the people who make the most noise. LOSERS !!!!!!!!

6. charles furley says:

how ironic you mention paying taxes when a big complaint of the OWS is that many corporations didnt pay any taxes in to the fed or state level fund. Then they claimed lost / low profits and cities wanted to raise your taxes. you really have no clue about what is going on and barely qualify as a citizen or productive member of this country

1. Astonished says:

You specious arguement is dead wrong. I have a clue, REALLY I DO as do others who have commented on this blog. I live in Los Angeles. I pay my taxes. I always have. As have hundreds of thousands of other Los Angeles residents! And I’ve seen how this mayor and his cronies have spent this City into dispair! I don’t like the way big business fails to contribute their part and I have suffered more than just raised taxes. Oh trust me I really get the message!!

But this goes too far. If these people honestly want to change things, squating on property that my taxes maintain, and leaving me and my fellow taxpayers with the HUGE bill to repatriate the land, disrupting traffic so others can’t get to their jobs and disrupting the City ISN’T my idea of helping. If they really want to get their point across maybe they should squate on Obama’s lawn.

And I definetely don’t approve of giving them the equivelent of free living just so the Mayor can be polically correct and still get them out of sight.

As for barely qualifying as a citizen or productive member of this country. GUESS AGAIN!

1. Leave LA says:

Charles Furley, what planet are you from? Get a clue yourself and join the educated.

7. debrarae says:

FREEBIES? Why isn’t the state government giving the SOCAL Small business owners threatened, their merchandise destroyed, and stolen by the OCCUPY THUGS any freebies? How about money to replace their carts, since it was THEIR FAULT for refusing to prosecute the #OWS THUGS?

The only thing I’d offer ‘OWS’ is a WARRANT for their arrest!

8. Hardmoney says:

Let the occupy morons camp out at Mayor Tony Villar’s house. That way you can keep all the idiots in one place.

1. Astonished says:

That works for me! As far as I’m concerned the can feed, bathe and clothes them too. But only out of his own pocket. Leave my tax money out of it!

9. Corruption says:

People, People, OWS is all about corruption. The only people who do not support OWS are the people working for government. Because California’s additude is either you are with us or against us which means if you don’t work for government then they don’t care about you. It’s the people vs the government. Even the maintenance workers who work for L.A. city that are making 80 grand to drink beer at work, you are the enemy.

10. KOBE says:

11. Astonished says:

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the Mayor wants to give them space in the Los Angeles Mall, in the empty storefront that used to house Dalton Books. They are also reporting that the City (defined as taxpayers) will be paying all the utilities, along with losing about $34,999.00 a month in revenue the City really needs. I’ll bet the other store owners, who actually pay rent are just Thrilled!

Such a deal!!!!!

1. bounce says:

And that doesn’t include the cost of repairing all the damage that these idiots will cause in that space over the course of one year or however long they would be there. That’s more taxpayer money spent on the Occupy idiots.

12. Anti-Villaregosa says:

Recall the Mayor. Shut down the morons at City Hall.

13. Jerry Frey says:

The one or two percent who actually create wealth through investment and job creation, these people serve the social good.

14. Liz Carson says:

Instead of the taxpayers giving $1 a year room and board to Occupiers, why doesn’t the mayor invite them to his house, let them squat on his lawn, use his bathroom, etc. for $1 a year. Oh…that’s different? If he isn’t willing to have them at his house, I’m not willing to give them room and board with my taxes.