Mayor Villaraigosa Shares Personal, Traumatic Stories Of Domestic Violence On ‘Journey Of Hope’ Bus

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The “Journey Of Hope” — a traveling national tour bus that will document stories of domestic violence — rolled into Los Angeles Thursday and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa not only welcomed the bus but also became the first Angeleno to share a personal story.

Following a news conference, the mayor boarded the bright purple tour bus parked just outside Los Angeles Police Department headquarters.

He talked openly about his memories of watching his father beat his mother.

“I remember vividly the terror, the trauma that you feel,” the mayor said, “the helplessness. It stays with you.”

Verizon sponsored the eight-city tour after one of their employees was killed by her husband after repeated domestic violence.

Police officials, advocates for an end to domestic violence and the mayor all joined, they said, to spread awareness. Villaraigosa said as many as one in four women has been a victim of domestic violence.

The mayor also added that the LAPD responds to about 20,000 domestic violence calls each year.

“There are far too many victims of domestic violence who believe that they have no other choice in life to submit to this terror, whether it’s psychological, or physical,” LAPD Deputy Chief of Detectives David Doan said.

Doan said his message for victims is simple: “You do not have to put up with this. There are people available.”

The tour is being timed to coincide with Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

1. Ron says:

Unfortunately, there are cases like the Seal Beach Salon Massacre, where supposedly the ex-wife claimed that her ex-husband had guns and threatened to come into the salon and kill her. Nothing was done to save her and the other seven innocent victims.

What can be done in cases like that?

1. Ethel says:

Women need to get an Injjuntion, go before a judge with your lawyer. I did this and the judge sentenced my ex to 3 days in LA jail and they took him away right then, guess he had time to think he didn’t want to go to Jail again. I had a terrible time with all his threats and following me, a restraining order is just a peice of paper and does no good, the cops, even told them he said he had a gun in the trunk of his car, just told me it was a family matter, this was in the 1980’s. I feel I would be dead if I did not get the Injuntion. I don’t know why the lawyers and police don’t tell Women about this.
      An Injjunction can have them arrested if they come within 100 feet of you.

2. Rick says:

Memo to Tony:
    Your children watched you cheat on their mother while you were in office. Many people believe that cheating is just as dispicable as beating your wife. You did not only cheat on your wife, you also cheated on your children.

I know beating/cheating is part of your culture.

Why did you build the walls around your crib so high? If I could I would come in there with a posse and do away with you. Gaddafi style you 2 faced piece of bandini.

3. c-man says:

Villaraigosa is a dirtbag mexican. I think he needs to start worrying about all the illegals.

1. Ron says:

Why should he be worrying about them? They keep him in office.

4. Wain says:

To Rick. Cheating is part of his person not his culture. When you make such generalizing comments shows how ignorant you are, next time slow down think true what your gonna say/write, before putting your foot in your mouth. Really you come across as a very s$tupid m#oron.

1. goaway says: