Local

Police Release 911 Tapes In Seal Beach Salon Massacre

View Comments
Photo Galleries

SEAL BEACH (CBS) — According to 911 calls, several of the witnesses to last week’s massacre at an Orange County hair salon recognized the shooter — Scott Dekraai was the ex-husband of one of the hairdressers on staff that day.

One of the seven calls released Monday by the Seal Beach Police Department was made by a woman who was hiding in Salon Meritage while the shooter was still inside.

The caller is barely audible as she tells the 911 dispatcher, “I think a lot of people might have been killed or hurt.”

A caller from the business next door said, “A hairstylist came in and said a man was shooting with a gun.”

129095008 Police Release 911 Tapes In Seal Beach Salon Massacre

(credit: David McNew/Getty Images)

Another witness said 10 shots had been fired. When the dispatcher asked whether the woman recognized the shooter the caller alleged that he was one of the hairstylists’ husbands.

The shooting left eight people dead and one person wounded.

Police caught up to Dekraai near the salon. He has been charged with murder and attempted murder.

Dekraai and Michelle Fournier, who died in the attack, were embroiled in a bitter custody battle over their son. They had divorced in 2007.

The only survivor of the shooting, Hattie Stretz, 73, was discharged from the hospital Monday.

129095008 Police Release 911 Tapes In Seal Beach Salon Massacre

(credit: David McNew/Getty Images)

Hundreds of flower bouquets and notes were left in a memorial in front of the salon on Pacific Coast Highway.

»RELATED: Anaheim Restaurant Donating Money To Victims’ Families

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,445 other followers