Occupy Wall Street Protest Moves Through LA

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — Demonstrators are marching through the streets of downtown Los Angeles in solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York and cities around the nation.

“So far, so good. They’re just marching along peacefully,” said Los Angeles police officer Bruce Borihanh, adding that there were no arrests or disturbances.

“We have just enough police presence for the participants and for the people who may be conducting business downtown,” he said.

The march, billed as “Occupy LA Global Day of Action,” drew hundreds. Protesters shouted slogans and waved signs under sunny skies Saturday, decrying the role that big banks played in the nation’s financial crisis.

The marchers gathered at Pershing Square and moved south through the city’s financial district, carrying placards reading “We Are the 99%,” “Bail Out People, Not Wall Street” and “Get Money Out of Politics.”

Most of the protesters returned to an Occupy Wall Street encampment that’s been set up outside City Hall for nearly two weeks.

A second anti-greed protest, organized by the progressive group MoveOn, is expected to take place later Saturday.

RELATED POSTS:
» City Council Votes To Support ‘Occupy LA’ Protesters
» Occupy LA Speaker Calls Gandhi A ‘Tumor’, Pushes For Violent ‘Revolution’
» Downtown LA Streets Closed After Protesters Stage Sit-In At Bank Of America

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Mike Ford says:

Agreed.
    Looks who the “movement” sponsors are, MoveOn.Org (George Soros) who in turn has increased his own fortune tremendously DUE TO THE COLLLAPSE IN REAL ESTATE! Talk about profiteers!

In DC the march is admittedly sponsored by labor groups including the Washington Teachers Union (per interviewed teacher-Andre). They coupkle their march with the MLK memorial dedication in order to swell the visual ranks.

Lastly, It is October. More specifically the last weekend before 10/17/1917, or the anniversary of the Russian revolution! All we are seeing is worldwide socialism rearing it’s loud, ignornat voice, yet again.

Lsten to the demands. Pure socialist agendas.

I’m 60 years old. I dont feel like fighting the war between communism / socialism vs. capitalism all over again.

Capitalism is not perfect, buut it sure beat the balzes out of worldwide socialism. Even the Chinese know that.

1. nb32 says:

We are not against capitalism. We have jobs. We are against unabashed greed and the systemic corruption of our financial system that nearly ruined our economy and necessitated the disgusting bailouts. Wake up.

Capitalism can and does work when it’s responsibly regulated. That’s all we’re after. Read. Stop parroting Rush Limbaugh.

Oh, and there are WWII vets marching with us here in L.A. today.

2. Christina39 says:

TO: nb32. Nicely and intelligently stated. But many are out there because of that greed who do not have jobs or cannot find jobs or lost their pensions. I lost my pension because of a corporate takeover. We ARE out there.

2. Christina39 says:

What jobs a**h***?

3. EJ says:

Hey nb32 you and the other morons down there are just a bunch of useful idiots………

1. Whisky…Tango… Foxtrot says:

@ EJ I totally concur. Apparently there is an unspoken agreement that no one in these groups are allowed to speak ill of the current administration in California or Washington, these people are a bunch of phonies. Also, is it some sort of pre-requisite that to join the protest you must have a $300.00 smart phone? That’s all I’ve seen the protesters using. “Down with big corporations” except AT&T, Apple and Starbucks.

1. Ron says:

“Apparently there is an unspoken agreement that no one in these groups are allowed to speak ill of the current administration in California or Washington…”

@Whisky…Tango…Foxtrot, That’s because these groups have been taken over by the UNIONs and the Democrats, trying to create a movement that they can mold to push there AGENDA, leading up to the election.

2. Ron says:

push their AGENDA…

4. George says:

The only corruption is in government, you fools, not Wall St. You wouldn’t have the smart phone I bet you’re carrying and using right this moment if it wasn’t for Wall St. Get a clue.

Your protests belong in Washing and Sacramento. That’s where the real greed and corruption is, not Wall St.

1. Christina39 says:

When you sober up let me know what you’re smoking. it sound “cool”

5. George says:

And MIke Ford is correct. You’re a bunch of dupes for Soros and his ilk. They profit off the demise of American business. And no, I don’t listen to Limbaugh.

6. Ron says:

Those involved in the OCCUPY MOVEMENT beware, the UNIONS are trying to HIJACK your cause. And DON’T forget that they are the largest supporters of the current administration, that has NOT created any lasting jobs. Don’t forget the OBAMA Solyndra scandal.

And yes there is too much CORRUPTION on Wall Street and in the banking industry.

1. Christina39 says:

Thank you Ron for your last sentence. Another person with a brain.

7. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

the world is ENDING in a economic downfall and the corporate still have money to use to spray “CHEMTRAILS’ in our SKY!!!!!

8. Doug says:

There a few people in this country who think they are the chosen few. They think they should have all the money. Well lets give them the money and we will take the groceries.

1. Christina39 says:

They already have all the money or haven’t you noticed? And where are the groceries?

9. wobbles says:

I’m one of the 49%. I don’t consider the 50% getting handouts on my dime to be anyone I want to associate with.

In reality, there’s the 1% who are obscenely rich and use creative accounting and tax breaks to pay less. The 49% of us who are not rich, work hard, get taxed out the ying yang and don’t have tax firms to help them, and the 50% who contribute nothing and do nothing but take from me and mine.

If it’s class war let’s at least admit there’s more factions than just two. That I pay a higher rate than the rich is BS, but that 50% of the population sits on their rear ends and lives off the sweat of my brow is BS too.

10. wobbles says:

None of these people represent me. I’m too busy working to support my familyAND support these lazy A-holes to march and wave signs. I don’t have that luxury of free time. My family and 50% of the population are depending on me working hard.

1. Christina39 says:

You’re very lucky. Many of us wish that we were working and didn’t have any free time, but in case you’re too busy to notice, unemployment is rampant and growing, or is it just all about YOU and YOURS.

2. 99% says:

My family and 50% of the population are depending on me working hard.
      Are you kidding me?

1. Christina39 says:

Yes haven’t you received your check from Wobbles this month?. LOL

11. STOP COMPLAINING… GO FIND A JOB AND EARN MONEY!!!!

1. Christina36 says:

Why don’t the narcissists like you find a personality disorder website to visit. There are no JOBS IDIOT. Open your eyes and stop J***ing off for five minutes and look around.

12. Ki4 says:

People just are looking for answers, right or wrong. People have no direction

13. URL says:

Made to measure curtains […]check out the sites listed below, worth a read for interiors and rugs enthusiasts[…] 903835

14. Flyerdruck says:

I love this info presented and possesses given me some type of resolve forpersistance to succeed i really enjoy seeing, so sustain the excellent work. 103343

15. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers? 563466

16. Merely wanna state that this is very beneficial , Thanks for taking your time to write this. 626917

17. As I internet web site possessor I believe the content material matter here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your hard function. You ought to maintain it up forever! Finest of luck. 998804

18. Id always want to be update on new blog posts on this web site , bookmarked ! . 677101

19. Found this on MSN and Im happy I did. Well written article. 277521

20. jack says:

I got what you intend, saved to my bookmarks , really decent site . 621709

21. conveyancing says:

Wohh just what I was seeking for, thanks for putting up. 49000

22. AV install says:

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers? 823177

23. Hello! I would wish to supply a large thumbs up for your outstanding info you could have here about this post. Ill be coming back to your blog website for further soon. 145106

24. aresfree.net says:

Oh my goodness! a amazing post dude. A lot of thanks Even so We are experiencing dilemma with ur rss . Dont know why Can not sign up to it. Could there be anybody obtaining identical rss difficulty? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx 593412

25. I take pleasure within the comments on this weblog, it actually gives it that community feel! 19816

26. seo says:

This website won’t render appropriately on my iphone 3gs – you may wanna try and fix that