Longtime OC Spanish Teacher Gets Prison For Sex With Student, 17

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A retired Orange County high school teacher will spend one year in jail after pleading guilty to having sex with a student.

KNX 1070’s Kim Marriner reports David Araya, 57, had taught Spanish classes at Laguna Hills High School for nearly a decade and had been a highly-regarded teacher for almost 30 years.

Araya became involved with a 17-year-old student after the two engaged in sexual contact three times in September and October of 2009 in Araya’s classroom.

The relationship was eventually discovered by the girl’s mother in August 2009 after she read Facebook messages sent between the teacher and her daughter.

In addition to prison time and three years probation, Araya must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

Comments

1. RWZ says:

More family values?

Was the student only 12 years old?

2. jason says:

30 years of hard work down the drain for 30 minutes of fun. Great job moron, goodbye to your pension and have fun in jail.

1. mike says:

While I agree with you. His pension is safe😦. He will still get it. How nice it would be to have a 30 yr pension with full Medical at 57 yrs old. All the ants can pay for this grasshopper. After all it’s for the children.

3. Maury says:

Man, this clown should of waited at least a few more months until she turned 18.

1. CB says:

“should have waited” not “should of waited”

Maybe you should switch to Spanish.

4. Kenneth Howell says:

How in the hell could you have sex with that?

1. CB says:

When you read 17 year old, you think cute and petite. She probaly weighs 200+ pounds.

5. Rick says:

need help for refinance into 30 program. currently on modification 2nd year. I would like to get into a 30 year program with Wels Fargo. Who do I turn to for help?

1. George says:

GHOSTBUSTERS!

6. Storm says:

“Araya enrolled in a treatment program six months before charges were even filed.”

Enrolled in treatment program for what????? How not to have sex with a minor? This guy is the reason why right to bear arms should be extended as right to use arms to protect your children from such perverts.

7. Jamie Chambers says:

a stupid application of the law as it took two to tangp

1. un-be-liev-able says:

yeah, those dumb 17 year olds!!! Coercing adults in to such lewd behavior.

You sho is bright.

8. Bound n Gaged says:

Not Fair. He did nothing wrong. 17 and 18 is the exact same. Dont be mean to this innocent guy. I’ve done way worse.

9. Disgusted says:

Seriously?

I had this creep as my Spanish teacher back in 2001, and believe me when I say that this behavior was nothing new for him. He was always extremely queeby, and needless to say I dropped Spanish after being propositioned by him – AFTER he offered me extra credit for staying after school to”help him” correct papers.

Lucky for me, I had a father at home and wasn’t that desperate for male attention. But I suppose he was bound to get lucky after ten years of being on the hunt.

He did NOTHING WRONG???? Please, in the name of God, sterilize yourself so you are never able to procreate. That fate would be cruel and unusual punishment to any child born of your loins.

10. Colleen Wolfsburg says:

I am a middle-aged woman and anyone who has sex with a child should be tortured and/or killed, in my eyes. However, even though this suspect is 57 years old, 40 years older than the “victim”, for thousands of years, and in many other countries today, most 17-year old girls/women are married and/or have children Until recently, if someone older had sex with a 15, 16, 17-year old, it was completely accepted (remember, girls are made to conceive and bear children at 14, 15, 16), but no, if they are one day younger than 18, the older partner is a sex offender for the rest of their life… even though it wasn’t rape, it was mutual, etc. I feel sorry for the man, in a way.