Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs Dead At 56

CUPERTINO (CBS) — Apple reports former co-founder, chairman, and CEO Steve Jobs is dead.

Jobs stepped down from his leadership role earlier this year amid reports of his failing health.

In the late 70s, Jobs (with co-founders Steve Wozniak and Mike Markkula) designed and marketed the Apple II series. The product was an immediate hit.

After a power shift in the mid 80s, Jobs quit the company and founded a computer development platform company called NeXT.

Interview With CNET’s Dan Ackerman

Apple ended up buying up the successful NeXT bringing Jobs back into the fold.

The cause of death was not disclosed, but in 2004 he beat pancreatic cancer. And in 2009 he had to undergo a liver transplant.

A college dropout, Jobs became one of the world’s wealthiest and most well-known men.

In his August 24, 2011 resignation, he recommended that Tom Cook be named as his successor.

In a statement Apple wrote: “Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.”

They added, “If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com.”

Comments

1. I can’t believe Steve Jobs died.

2. Beverly Hills says:

R.I.P. What a great man…..great person…..great legacy. He saw the future and made it happen “now”……

3. uoh says:

RIP Steve. A true visionary. You have changed this world more than some people will give you credit for.

4. Rick says:

He will forever be remembered as the man that brought apple to the main stream consumer,his legacy and accomplishments will forever keep him in our thoughts.Although I am not an apple fan,he did incredible things,he will be remembered as one the very most succesful people of our lifetime.I sure hope the folks at apple see to it that his legacy lives on as they continue to push forward,he certainly deserves it.

5. Travis Johnson says:

You know I never actually liked the apple os, but I do have to admit he was a very intelligent individual! He will be well missed, R.I.P.

6. Karen says:

Wow. It was a shock but I don’t know why. When I heard it was pancreatic cancer, I knew he had limited time. It’s just that I thought he would live on forever. At least he had time to pick his successor and see off his baby. May he rest in peace.

7. FiFi says:

Spiteful much?

8. Karen says:

He was not mean and that was unnecessary.

9. Wen lin Tsai says:

Good job Mr. Jobs .
    Congratulations on your successes and triumphs.
    You made the most out of it.

10. Dave says:

Well it would mean that you are next then.

11. MARTIN says:

THE WORDS I WRITE HERE SEEM INSIGNIFICANT AND COULD NEVER EXPRESS HOW I FEEL AT THE WORLDS LOSS OF THIS MAN. ATLEAST IN APPEARANCE AND DEMEANOR THIS MAN REPRESENTED AN “OLD” AMERICA… STRIIVING FOR THE BEST TO BETTER EVERYONES LIVES. IT BRINGS TO MIND MEN LIKE WALT DISNEY AND HOW THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A LONGING TO SEE WHAT MORE COULD HAVE BEEN. I TRULY FEEL THIS AS IF IT WAS MY LOSS AND WILL ONLY WISH I COULD HAVE SPOKEN AND EXCHANGED A FEW WORDS WITH A MINDS SUCH AS THEIRS.
    WHAT A SEEMINGLY GREAT MAN AND THATS WHAT I’LL ALWAYS REMEMBER. IF GOD EXISTS, I GUESS WANTED HIS VERY OWN APPLE.

12. John Ashton says:

We lost a truly technology giant. Rest In Peace Brother!

13. lynn says:

Jealous of his great success??? How terrible of you. He has family and friends who will miss him greatly. RIP Steve Job!

14. Guillermo Cruz says:

Take care Steve. You were a good man and an inspiration to the world. The world is a better place for you. R.I.P.

15. David Kaplan says:

Steve Jobs is the greatest geneious at Apple.

16. Michael LoVe Shirley says:

if money can buy life,if money can buy health, i think like STEVE JOBS clever people not will died early, i very proud he brain can do we all need thing.

17. Michael LoVe Shirley says:

if money can buy life,if money can buy health, like steve jobs clever people not will died early, i very proud he brain can do we all the need thing.