Music Legend Sly Stone Homeless, Living In Van In LA

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Sly Stone, one of the most influential music figure of the 1960s and 1970s, is now living in a van parked on a residential street in Crenshaw.

The funk and soul music legend, whose group “Sly & the Family Stone” put out timeless hits, is now broke.

KNX 1070 reports.

A retired couple who live on the street where he regularly parks his camper van, allow him to shower in their home and give him a meal each day,” reports The New York Post, who found Stone.

“I like my small camper,” he told The Post. “I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.”

Stone had previously lived in a four-bedroom, 5,432-square-foot Beverly Hills mansion that once belonged to John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas.

Stone told The Post that he still wants to perform.

“My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won’t forget. That’s why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that’s why I am in court. Millions of dollars!” Stone said.

“But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I’m tired of all this s–t, man.”

Comments

1. Vanessa B. L.A. Baby says:

And I need to feel sorry for him because he lives in a van? Come on, these people have so much money when their records go gold. It’s up to the human being inside them to control their spending habits. Not at all sad, if anything confused.

1. Duh! says:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

2. Styker 21 says:

A one or two hit wonder hack. Washed up like his career. It’s called, savings account and investments.

2. So what! says:

I say to this news story, so what?

There are many families living in cars,vans and rv’s all over this country. Our focus should be on them, not this bone-head. He spent his way on to the streets doing drugs and drinking himself to were he is now.

No sorrow from me!

3. duh says:

Completely worthless story without the back-story about how he got where he is now. Is there mental illness involved? Better not move to, or park anywhere around Fullerton. Did he just flush all of his money? Poor management/ripped of by managers? Doesn’t he still receive any royalties? So many unanswered questions…

4. bounce says:

>> Sly Stone, one of the most influential music figure of the 1960s and 1970s, is now living in a van parked on a residential street in Crewshaw.

Crewshaw? Where is that?

5. Mark says:

Just read it from my local newspaper and now it’s here aswell. What a shock.

Mark from Best DJ Software.

6. ALBERT PORTERIE says:

SAD SO TO SAY, BUT SOMETIMES THINGS YOU DO IN LIFE CAN LEAD YOU SITUATIONS YOU CANNOT CANNOT CONTROL BUT LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN , GOD GIVE IT AND FOR SOME REASONS NEVER TO KNOW OR UNDERSTOOD , ITS LIKE HE TAKE IT AWAY. MY THING IS THAT IF HE GIVE IT FOR YOU TO RECEIVE , NOT ABUSE, SOMETIMES TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH FOR SOME UNTIL . THE LITTLE IS GONE NOT KNOWING THE VALUE OF WHAT YOU HAD, MAY IT BE A FRIEND, FAMILY MEMBER, LOVER , MATE , JOB, AND SO ON, ITS THAT APPRECIATION IS TO BE APPRECIATED FOR ALL THINGS ASKED FOR AND GIVETH, WORDS OR ALBERT PORTERIE, AKA BOO

7. Mark says:

How is this possible :O ?

Mark from Sims 3 cheat codes