STUDIO CITY (CBS) — With nearly 9 million people 50 and older at risk of hunger in this country, AARP is determined to help shed light to this crisis.
In conjunction with its annual national event, Life@50+, AARP will team up over 100 volunteers in downtown L.A. with award-winning chefs from across the country to help prepare and serve meals to residents at six Soup Kitchens and rescue missions on Skid Row.
One of these chefs is L.A.’s own Nancy Silverton. She is the founder of La Brea Bakery and co-owner of Mozza.
The chef stopped by KCAL9 to talk about the cause and prepare one of her special dishes.
Burrata with herb salad & celery leaf pesto:
For the salad:
- 3 celery ribs, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup whole fresh pale green celery leaves from the hearts
- 1/2 cup fresh chervil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh tarrogan leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh minature basil leaves
- 1/4 cup 2-inch-long pieces of fresh chives
- Kosher salt
For the celery-leaf pesto:
- 1 tablespoon, toasted pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon, kosher salt
- 1/2 cup, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup, packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 3/4 cups, whole fresh celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 teaspoon, fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons, Lemon Vinaigrette
- 8 ounces, burrata
Combine pine nuts, garlic, salt and half of the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor, fitted with a metal blade or the jar of a blender. Add parsley and pulse until it is finely chopped. Turn off the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add celery leaves, cheese and the remaining olive oil. Puree. Stop as soon as the ingredients form a paste. Add more olive oil if necessary to obtain a loose, spoonable pesto. Place pesto into a bowl and stir in lemon juice. Add salt or lemon juice to taste. Use the pesto or transfer it to an airtight refrigerator for two days. Bring the pesto to room temperature, stir and taste for seasoning.
To prepare salad, toss ingredients. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Season to taste.
For more information on the event, click here.