Girl, 3, Accidentally Run Over And Killed By Mom Driving SUV

ORANGE (CBS) — A 3-year-old girl was run over and killed by a sport utility vehicle driven by her mother Wednesday afternoon, police reported.

The toddler was struck by a Ford Excursion in the driveway of 827 N. Adele St. in Orange about 4:30 p.m. She was rushed to an area hospital, where she died, said Orange Police Department Sgt. Dan Adams.

“This appears to be a tragic accident,” Adams said.

Comments

1. rich says:

no such thing as an ACCIDENT when you have lil kids you have to know where they are at all times tragic yes but accident no nothing ever happens by accident our actions or lack there of cause everything that happens good and bad

1. John Holmes says:

MANY KIDS ARE KILLED EVERY YEAR BY THEIR OWN PARENTS BACKING OVER THEM IN THEIR OWN DRIVEWAY. PARENTS SHOULD MAKE THEIR KIDS STAND BY THE HOUSE FRONT DOOR WHEN THEY ARE BACKING UP SO THEY DON’T RUN OVER THEM. MOST NEWER MINIVANS AND SUV’S ARE STARTING TO PUT BACK UP CAMERAS AS A OPTION AND HOPE WILL SAVE MORE KIDS LIVES.

1. Astonished says:

Wow! Come down from your high horse a little. This was a three-year old! They have an attention span about 3 seconds longer than that of a gold fish! Mom may have thought the child was in the house, or being watched by some other adult!

Most children this age are constantly on the go. Even the most diligent and overly protective parents can make mistakes!

2. m says:

my question is why the 3 year old child was allowed to exit the vehicle before the mother was complete parked? no small child should ever be allowed to exit the vehicle before the driver. had this happened, little ana would be alive thus avoiding this tragedy.

urban assault vehicles=diminished visibility.

2. Count Yob says:

Most accidents involve human error. They’re deemed to be accidents because they’re not intentional.

3. Ang katotohanan says:

Marinig ko ang ina ang nagkakaroon ng isang talagang mahirapan coping na ito. Siya ay nagkaroon ng pitong anak at 37 taon gulang.

1. rich says:

Hindi ko duda siya ay nagkakaproblema sa pagharap sa ITO AT DAPAT siya ay siya ang dahilan ng NIYA sanggol sa kamatayan

2. John Holmes says:

ACCIDENTS ARE AVOIDABLE, FORGET THE ALIBI.

3. Personal Trainer says:

Wow, do you have kids rich? Sucks, but accidents DO happen and kids ARE extremely distracting especially WHEN YOU HAVE A LIFE. Hate to hear things like this happen, but makes me more aware for my children.

1. John Holmes says:

ACCIDENTS ARE AVOIDABLE, FORGET THE ALIBI. PERSONAL TRAINER I HAVE 4 KIDS AND THEY ARE 12,20,22.24 YEARS OLD AND I ALWAYS MADE THEM STAND BY THE FRONT DOOR OF THE HOUSE BEFORE I BACKED UP. EVEN NOW I STILL LOOK FOR MY CAT THAT SOMETIMES RUNS IN FRONT OF MY BIG TRUCK WHEN I PULL INTO THE DRIVEWAY AND BACK UP. I EVEN GET OUT IF I CAN’T SEE MY CAT AND MAKE HIM MOVE. IF I BACKED OVER ONE OF YOUR KIDS, YOU WOULDN’T BE SAYING IT WAS AN “ACCIDENT” NOW WOULD YOU?

1. Astonished says:

Well, then, kudos for you sir! But you really should stop yelling. Your only going to raise your blood pressure and wear out your Cap Lock key.

2. rich says:

i have 5 kids and THEY ARE MY LIFE yes they can get quick on you but thats why you have to watch their little butts im just a firm beliver in EVERY ACTION HAS AN OPPOSITE REACTION if i dont watch my kids (action) then they get dead (reaction) just my opinion

3. jessica says:

hey my brother lives where this happend today and said he often sees this little girl and a 5year old running the streets with no supervision by any adult and even said they almost hit them because they were chasing after a cat so this is not a accident its the parents neglect how do you not know where your 3 year old is and what they are doing or whos watching them this should be an eye opener to that family kids that age need supervision

1. John Holmes says:

@ Jessica: your brother should contact the authorities about what he saw leading up to the child’s needless death. If these parents have been truly not supervising these kids for months then the parents should be brought up on child endangerment charges or even involuntary vehicular manslaugher charges..

4. george says:

please explain — “WHEN YOU HAVE A LIFE”

do you mean you have life in terms of social life? you mean like in people out in the world “love” you so much and you got keep that going so it makes it harder to deal with your distracting kids?

please explain this — “I have a life” — thing, because I might be reading it the wrong way

5. has it all figured out... says:

Personal trainer, I feel sorry for your children. If you consider “HAVING A LIFE” neglecting your children, then you should give them up for adoption before they get run over by a car because you are so busy “HAVING A LIFE”.

4. c-gas says:

I have to agree. Backing over a kid is a tragic accident. But…an AVOIDABLE accident. I would be willing to bet the mother was texting or on her phone.

1. Astonished says:

A Ford Excursion is huge. I’ll take your bet and say that the mother is probably less than 5 feet tall, and can’t see where she’s going, even when paying attention because the car’s too big for her!

Some years ago my car was damaged when a Lincoln Escalade backed into it. The woman driving it was less than 5 fee tall and couldn’t even see where she was backing because she was too small to look over the backs of the seats and could see with the mirrors!

. That’s my guess.

5. Margaret C. says:

Article doesn’t have the whole story. It’s a tragic accident but should have been avoidable. The mom was driving into the driveway with both kids in the car. Both demanded to be let out, and the 3 year-old was going to run to a neighbor to play with her friend there. The kid ran in front of the car; mother didn’t know she ran in front until well she hit her.

It’s an accident that should have been prevented and avoided. Be careful driving, make sure you know where your kids are.

1. jessica says:

i know 3 year olds are anxious but seriously are you going to let your 3 year say to you im going to my friends house and jump out of the car or do you tell her to wait so you can park the car and walk her over there cause thats what i would have done i dunno i think that she let those kids run wild and the little girl probably ran inbetween the driveway right when mom was parking the car and hit her and how fast was she going in a driveway that she killed her she wasn’t backing out she hit her with the front of the car

1. jessica says:

also i hope that the neighbors come forward and tell the police how these 2 kids 3 and 5 yrs are running the streets in diapers at that where were the parents then. Anybody could have hit them thank god the 5 yr old is not hurt

2. D.Howard says:

She could have been going 3 miles per hour, the weight of the car rolling on her is what probably killed her. Has nothing to do with speed and all to do with neglect at this point.

6. D.Howard says:

This is all very sad and I am trying hard to not judge here but, I would NEVER let my 3 year old out of my car to go run and play with a neighbor just like that. NO ONE TO GET HER OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK HER OVER TO HER FRIENDS HOUSE TO MAKE SURE SHE GOT THERE OK??? That sounds insane, she was 3! SHE WAS 3, NOT 10!!!!

1. Dr.Phil says:

I couldn’t have said it better.

7. Joey Tomms says:

Tragic indeed, OMG I cannot even begin to imagine.

anon-tools.au.tc

8. george says:

“kids ARE extremely distracting especially WHEN YOU HAVE A LIFE”

I really didn’t get this comment at all — sounds kind of narcissistic

9. cloudnine says:

Oh God my heart cries out for them. I have a 3 year old & I don’t even want to imagine. The pain they must be feeling.My prayers go out this family. Especially the baby’s mother. God may they seek into you for strength & understanding. May they know this sweet angel is now with you….

10. Shocked says:

I’m shocked. I read 23 comments and not a single one mentioned anything about race as is typical with these types of posts. How pleasant.
    My youngest just turned 4. I’d die if anything happened to him. My prayers and thoughts go out to this child’s family.

1. Jesus Cristo says:

Then perhaps God should take out your child and get a “2 fer 1” deal, yes?

11. John Van Buttenstein says:

I shouldn’t read these stories while drinking coffee- I spit up on my desk from laughing so hard. Funny, funny stuff.

12. Local 747 says:

Was the mom an illegal?

13. Chris says:

This being an accident is BS…a 3 year old needs full attention! HOW could she not know the child was outside??? was the mother on her cell phone and not paying attention??? Vehicles are deadly weapons no matter if the kid is inside the vehicle or outside! For those that say accidents happen? You are the ones who are not paying attention to detail and making things “child safe” You are the ones pretending that nothing will happen to “your child”

Come on! for a mother NOT to know her child was behind the vehicle is pure utter C rap! GET OFF THE CELL PHONE LADY!

1. Wow says:

Do you have proof that she was on a cell phone or that she was backing out of the driveway..? No.

She was coming home from the store… and that is when it happened. You are so naive believing everything you read. Smh, bet you didn’t even know the family. Does it ever occur to you that a 3 year old needs full attention but not JUST from her mother, does it occur to you that there were others home? And the mother is not to blame.. ? God, such ignorant people.

14. WOW says:

It astonishes me that all of you pretend to know the responsibility of this family. I knew this family and you do not know anything about them. Wow. Talk about having a life… worry about your own kids… Also, she didn’t let her get off the car first, the mother was coming home and the children were outside playing. This was not intentional, such a shame that you all assume so quickly by something released by the media. This was not neglect either, please educate yourself before you try and act like you are the #1 parent. Nobody is a perfect parent because nobody knows the true definition of a parent. Also it is hard to see such a tiny girl in a huge car at night…

15. Brian Andrews says:

Woman driving an SUV…”accident” happens…shocker. Sigh, poor child…

16. Accident merritt parkway says:

You might have simply acquired any sort of accident. You happen to be stunned and also anxious. Points preserve sporting through your mind – are we okay will be the other new driver alright precisely how negative will be the harm simply how much …Stluczka w uk