Police: OC Man Assaulted Neighbor Over Noisy Generator During Blackout

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A San Juan Capistrano man is behind bars Friday after allegedly assaulting his neighbor with a flashlight over a noisy generator during a blackout that left thousands of local homes without power.

Peter Quill, 45, is accused of hitting his neighbor, Anthony Morales, over the head with a flashlight after complaining about the loud hum of a generator he was using during the widespread power outage, authorities said.

Neighbors say Morales is a Los Angeles firefighter.

Quill reportedly confronted Morales on the 27800 block of Via Estancia shortly before 11 p.m. on Thursday and asked that he turn off the generator due to the excessive noise, said Orange County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Jim Amormino.

When Morales refused repeated requests, Quill then allegedly returned to Morales’ home with a flashlight and attempted to turn off the generator himself, said Amormino.

Morales was hospitalized with lacerations and a possible concussion, said Amormino.

Residents in Orange County used gas generators to power their homes overnight during the outage that lasted through early Friday morning, according to officials.

Quill was booked into Men’s Central Jail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, Amormino said. He is being held on $25,000 bail.

1. EverydayGuy says:

Preferable to your neighborhood, now get back to cutting my lawn.

1. not says:

Si senor then ill take care of your wife too.

2. Jeff says:

If it was in a Hispanic neighborhood someone would have stolen it a long time ago.

1. not says:

You like me to take care of your lawn to Jeff?

well not! until you get beat -up from the feet-up first!!!!

3. Chuck Curry says:

I don’t know. I live in a Hispanic neighborhood in Tucson. Nice people. Been here two years, no crime against me. I’ve had my car broken into twice in my life. Once on the University of Minnesota campus, and once in Carlsbad, California.

4. retiredat44 says:

yep,, in any minority area, everything is stolen broken, and painted.. and all the major cities are run by minorities, mayors, police, firemen, city concils..the least safest are the places with the people screaming they are monorities,, yet they run the c.rap.h.oles..

1. sailordude says:

It’s more a black minority issue then Hispanic or Asian. IMO. It’s pretty universal with the black areas, but not so for other minorities and the same could be said for whites as well.

3. the real TT says:

im thinkin’ he could have handled it much differently – Bring beer ,chips, and earplugs for everybody 🙂 Cant beat em’ join em’ !! Cheaper results ……

1. ??? says:

yeah, generators usually have more than 1 outlet, if he was nice he could have tapped into his neighbors generator for some light or to keep his refridgerator running or the air conditioner. It pays to be a nice friendly neightbor in situations like this and all others!!

1. the real TT says:

@? my thoughts exactly – and still brought the beer n ear plugs…. everybody’s happy …

2. Mike-N-TN says:

Your sentiment is spot on but most home emergency generators only produce enough wattage to power a couple of appliances and a few lights. Around 3000 – 5000 watts depending on how much you can afford to pay. It wouldn’t be possible to power 2 households, running everything, including air conditioners.

3. Rich Lehmann says:

He was sharing the outlets with the neighbor next door that was close enough to reach. That neighbor pointed this out on the news.

4. Miriam says:

Jealousy more than the hum of the generator may well have been the reason for the assault, and who knows what other issues these guys have. Yeah, it’s nice to be nice, on the other hand, when one person goes to the trouble and expense to be prepared, that doesn’t obligate him to take care of everybody on the block who didn’t bother. If he wants to, that’s great. But those who didn’t bother will at some point start feeling entitled to the benefits of those who did…that seems to be the trend in our declining American society.

4. Robert S. says:

I’ll bet I could run my commercial gen. ,and this “Turkey” would not say a word to me!

1. Carlo says:

I’ll bet I would tell you to stuff that generator up your ass.

1. Your Neighbor says:

Sure you would, Julio…. right after you finish picking up your teeth up from the floor

2. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

So what do you do for a power outage? I bet you run a generator off one of the cars jacked up on blocks in your front yard.

3. Costa Mesa resident says:

Carlo, you come to my house and say that to me, that would be the last stupid mistake you make.

5. bugman says:

A few years ago, we had a tornado come through Lake Elsinore,took out power for almost two days! ran my generator for my fridge and two neighbors. bought it for $135 in 2001 electrical crisis.I’m glad I helped!

1. malcom says:

what kind was it? come one brother, share the knowledge

6. Chris says:

You all must be deaf! Some of those Generators are really loud…and at 2 am trying to sleep even without AC when it’s 90 degrees at night is bad enough….A generator would make it just as bad. I understand the noise issue!

1. Patrick says:

not near as loud as my 45-70

1. Carlo says:

@Patrick — what are you, Buffalo Bill or Annie Oakley?

2. Carlo says:

You got that straight, Chris. Damn straight.

1. Gunther says:

Hey Carlos – Maybe if I cram a couple cans of re-fried beans in your ears you won’t have to listen to the generators? Quit crying like a little school-girl who’s had her pony-tails pulled and start acting like a MAN!!! You’d be SOL if you ever had to survive on your own.

3. Ghost says:

Chris…..You’re really an IDIOT

1. TxGrown says:

Lump carlo in there as an idiot as well.

7. former OC says:

Cali is the new Florida. Pretty soon the pictures will show the lack of teeth there too to go along with the new attitude. Great job Guvnuh!
    We just endured a much longer outage from Irene, and I know for a fact that the generator isn’t needed past 10pm for refrigerated food. We threw out nothing by keeping the doors closed from 10p-7a (respectful generator hours). You selfish jerks who say the neighbor is just jealous deserve what is coming your way, and it is coming. BTW, since when can’t a Morales stand a little warmth? 90 and dry? You all are weak.

8. Hank Warren says:

Illegal alien firefighters, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

9. Andy Oakley says:

I’m surprised – if these people are smart enough to have a generator that they aren’t also smart enough to know that you can cut the noise substantially by digging a hole deep enough for the generator to fit in. Place it in the hole and you’ll barely know it’s there anymore. Power crisis over, fill the hole back in.

1. tony says:

Yeah, and if you do that carbon monoxide can build up around the hole and possibly kill people. Idiot.

1. 51Phantom says:

Not to mention that it need oxygen (air) to run.

2. TN Lineman says:

Kill people? Oh, you mean the people in the hole with the generator? IDIOT.

2. rex dart eskimo spy says:

Very true, but it only works after the rain stops. In hurricane country, we just build a sound deadening box for the generator out of plywood and metalized foam insulation. cuts the noise in half.

3. ma67 says:

Yeah but Morales probably digs ditches all day for a living, so the last thing he wants is to dig another when he’s home.

1. Littleguy says:

Morales is a firefighter and can read. I can’t say the same for you. Do you dig ditches?

10. ConservativeRedneck says:

Ya think Flashlights should be outlawed? After 11pm huh. Sounds like Morales had no respect for anyone else but himself for the late hour. He kind of was asking for it. BUT Quill should have called the cops. They probably would be there in an hour or two.

1. Dennis says:

It sounds to me (I live in Texas) that California needs some good “castle laws” or some improved “concelled carry” laws. My “Judge” would solved the problem he first time the flashlight was raised. Let the other guy by a generator–I did

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Hey fascist redneck, you sound like you need to be clubbed in the head with a flashlight yourself! If you came to my house and tried to turn my generator off, that would be the last stupid mistake you make!

3. Mike-N-TN says:

What about those ambulances, squad cars and fire trucks racing down the road at 2 AM with lights flashing and sirens blaring? Is that OK because it’s Government?
      What about those cars with the woofers that rattle your bones? Is that OK because they be from da hood? What about thunder? Will you call the cops on God?

11. ConservativeRedneck says:

Well, Morales will probably decide to burn candles in the future if it happens again.

1. Jimmy says:

I certainly hope not! I have a generator and I recently had to run it for 4 whole days due to hurricane Irene. I live in the country and use a well for my water and if the power goes out, you have not water either. I run my pump, frige and computer as well as neighbors pump. This guy just wanted a generator and if he couldn’t have one, he didn’t want anyone to have one. Just plain old covetousness gone to the extreme. If the power goes out again, If I was Moreles, I would make it known to my neighbor, Quill that I have a new hobby… Collecting hand guns and target shooting!

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Fascist redneck, if you light candles in your house, I hope it catches fire and that firefighters don’t show up to put it out.

3. Costa Mesa resident says:

12. ConservativeRedneck says:

NO, Morales was being dis-respectful. *IF* someone had been on life support for instance it would have been a totally different situation. But that was in the article. When asked to turn the noisy generator off he decided to have words with Quill. That shows he had no respect for anyone else but himself THAT’s why he got his AS* whipped.

1. Mannie says:

It’s a shame Morales didn’t shoot the trespassing thug of a neighbor.

2. Chuck Curry says:

If the lights are out, an American citizen has a right to use his generator. The neighbor came over looking for a fight, and he got it. Since Morales is a weenie public union employee, he’s probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, and will no doubt be fishing for a disability claim after this. As such, we can understand why he lost the fight, and also assume he was a jerk, but that doesn’t excuse the neighbor making a ridiculous demand during a local emergency.

1. daniel says:

It doesn’t say anywhere on the BIll of Rights to use a generator. Look it up. Generators are noisy POS (the cheap ones) and the fool should have shut it off. Now he’s got scars to show for it.

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Daniel, go to hell. F— you and your attitude.

3. Costa Mesa resident says:

Go f— yourself Daniel. I’ll run my generator when I need to and if you don’t like it, MOVE! It’s stupid neighbors like you that bring communities down.

4. Gunther says:

Hey Daniel – it’s idiots like you who would never survive any sort of disruption in the grid. You’re a mamby-pamby diaper-wearing little girl who sounds like you just had your pigtails pulled. Waaaaa!

3. Chuck Curry says:

In my experience, situations like this generally develop because both sides are acting like children.

13. John Thomas says:

“Neighbors say Morales is a Los Angeles firefighter.”

– um… So what?

1. john oakman says:

which means he sits on his ass all day and retires on a big guvmint pension while you Useful Idiots work to pay fo he pension!!!!!!!!!!

1. J Askani says:

72 on-duty firefighters lost their lives in 2010. How many wall street bankers have died and we’ve, as tax payers, have paid for their golden paraschutes. Running your generator should not be a reason to get assulted.

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

John Oakman, If your house catches on fire, I hope firefighters never show up and let your house burn to the ground.

3. DAX says:

Oakman your an ignorant Moron

14. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

I’d rather live in a rusty old trailer with a little bit of yard space aroundme then stuffed in like a sardine in an overpriced craker box in the burbs. If you’re gonna own and operate a generator in herdville, better make sure a pump shotgun goes with it.

1. Patrick says:

exactly right. Its an emergency situation. prepare to defend your position.

15. john oakman says:

Thank God for my country life–I don’t have to put up with idiot neighbors!!!!!!!! My powder is dry and I’m ready.

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

John Oakman, I hope your house burns to the ground and that no firefighters show up to put it out.

16. bsimons says:

put a democrat in charge and the lights go out.

1. Za says:

Amen. We know that no lights when out under Bush!

17. samsmom says:

There’s no excuse for the violence, but I understand Quill’s frustration, having just dealt with the same problem because of Hurricane Irene. There ought to be city ordinances against using generators at night. One 3 houses away was so loud it kept us up all night! My next door neighbor on the opposite side was so bothered that they thought the generator was mine, not 4 doors down from them! Having the refrigerator off for just a few hours at night when the door is closed, so others can sleep is only a common courtesy! The food will be fine in the morning, and everyone will be much happier! I wouldn’t care if the generator was on all day… it’s annoying but understandable, but through the night is uncaring and un-neighborly.

1. Chuck Curry says:

What precisely is the point of a generator if you can’t use it at night? Earth to Samsmom! Is this thing on?

1. Brent says:

We have $500 of beef in pork in our chest freezer and running the gen a few hours a day will keep it frozen. Same goes with food in a refrigerator. It go overnight w/o power but it needs to run several hours a day to keep it cold. We don’t run ours at night just because it’s not needed and wastes gas during outages. And we don’t have any neighbors but still use a very Honda gen inside an insulated building. We can’t even hear it running in our house with the doors closed. Most people that have gens don’t know the right ones to buy or how to respectfully run them

2. samsmom says:

My food in the refrigerator and freezer went 16 hours without power and was fine. We just made extra ice and used the fridge as a big cooler. If you don’t open the door frequently, it will all be fine, especially for only a few hours overnight. It doesn’t hurt and it’s much more respectful of the neighbors.

2. Chuck Curry says:

I think it’s hilarious that everyone seems to think preserving food is the chief concern…maybe it is for you all..Me, I like to have light so I don’t fall down the stairs. The food! The food! I guess we are an obese nation. The reason human beings have welcomed electricity is because lights really make your life easier at night, and keep bad guys away. Keeping food cold is a bonus. If we should be expected to make do with no lights at night, then to hell with noise ordinances…Why not have light ordinances? That’ll really keep your neighbors from disturbing your beauty sleep!. God knows you probably need it.

1. Littleguy says:

You must be a really crummy neighbor. Do you always think of #1 first? samsmom has the right attitude.

2. Man on the Silver Mountain says:

So you don’t fall down the stairs? Seriously? You need a generator for that? A flashlight just isn’t good enough? Ok, how about an electric lantern? Or a glowstick? There are any number of light emitting objects that could provide enough light for just about anybody to find their way around. Unless it is an actual emergency, meaning no power for DAYS, not hours, there is no good reason to run a generator all night – except that these people cannot handle any disruption in their routines. It’s that simple. They are spoiled and weak. Like I said, wait until we have a real emergency – no power, no phones, no water, no passable roads, no stores open for business – and these people will be dead in three days. And good ol’ Chuck will either learn to find his way in the dark or with a flashlight or he had damned-well better be armed and ready to KILL people if he thinks he’s gonna be running a geny so he can “walk downstairs”. There will be plenty of people coming to steal it. Either way, life as you know it will be over if there is ever an ACTUAL emergency. These people are weak and simply can’t handle it.

3. Ed says:

Some people need the generator to run their sump pump to prevent flooding their basement. Unless you’re willing to bail water all night for them, you should just let them run their generator.

4. Dennis says:

What this “stream” has not dealt with is nedical necessity. My wife uses an O2 concentrator each night. If there is no power she has a serious medical problem. From what I am reading I guess that is ok of some nit wit doesn’t want to buy his own solution to a potential electrical problem. With IKE we were without power for 8 days +. In our community the common thread was “hay, I am going for fuel, do you need some?” Our gen set is large enough to help a neighbor, and we did. I guess those in LA don’t think that way. I am glad we live in TEXAS! Maybe Obama can lend you a gen set until he is out of office.

18. Mike Notsaying says:

personally if this happened to me , middle of the night man poking around with a flashlight… he would have been backed off the property with a gun –
    if he tried to assault me after trespassing he wouldn’t be a problem to anyone any more

19. BRM says:

Flahslights don’t hurt people, people hurt people. I fully expect to see the development of a national organization devoted to the ban of all concealable flashlights, and a responding group dedicated to protecting the constitutional right to own automatic flashlights.

Here in Tornado country, we are literate enough to read the word “Honda” and know about their ultra-quiet line of generators. Problem avoided.

1. Ralp Spoilsport says:

Haha! They all bought their generators at Harbor Freight! Junk!!!!!

20. rex dart eskimo spy says:

you know that you can build a very nice sound deadening box for your generator. or buy one of the ultra quiet honda generators.

1. Mike Hawke says:

YepYep! Honda EU series generators are whisper quiet, provide clean power…ie… (safe for your plasma TV and computers)….and run forever on a gallon of regular gas. Only downside is they are expensive to buy new and you won’t see too many of them used for sale because once you get one, you found your generator for life!

1. I.P. Nightly says:

Buying quality only hurts once.

21. FFF says:

Not only is a flashlight a weapon, but it could be used as an adult sex toy. Time to ban them all! Just let government take charge, create some new laws and a new flashlight task force to do random checks of your home, when you’re not there … as allowed by the Patriot Act and you’ll be much safer. What a great country.

1. FastEddie says:

A flashlight could also be used to smoke grass. Back in the 70’s we would take an empty beer can and make a hole in the side/bottom with a knife. Put alum. foil in the hole and poke small holes in it. fill it with grass and smoke it through the pour opening. You could do that with a flashlight too. Now it’s become not only a deadly weapon, but also drug paraphernalia.

22. logos says:

The article leaves out details of how the assault happened — it says that Quill returned and tried to turn off the generator, but that’s where the story ends. Sounds like Morales attacked the guy, and he responded more effectively. If so, Morales could be in the wrong, because the law does not permit the use of force unless confronted with the threat of force. Quill, on the other hand, was allowed to use force if Morales attacked him.

1. Diamond Jim says:

Logos, let me get this straight.
      So, some moron comes onto YOUR property and starts monkeying with YOUR stuff and YOU try to stop him and he assaults you – so that means it’s YOUR fault????
      Wow! I’ll just bet you’re a “slip and fall” lawyer.
      Sure glad I don’t live in La La Land . .

2. Dennis says:

I completely agree with you. If Quill, once again, traspassed, Morales should have told him to leave and then shot him when he didn’t. (I would recomment a 410 shotgon (Judge handgun – 410/ .45 ACP) My property is mine and as long as my gen set is legal and what it is being used for is legal he has no right to stop it.

3. Ernest Sharp says:

Actually, Quill cannot claim self defense. A person who is illegally on your property has no right to self defense while breaking the law. At the very least, Quill was trespassing, and Morales has the legal right to ask him to leave. If he refuses to leave, force CAN legally be used to MAKE him leave.

23. Mike Alright says:

As the US falls, we will soon be turning against each other. So, let me start, you feminized Americans are all id10ts. You all have big mouths, and are all stup1d.

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Mike Alright, go back to whatever stupid country you come from.

24. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

I used to get some of my best sleeping done in the “Japanese”sleeper of a running diesel FTR Isuzu straight truck I used to haul loads of steel with back in the hay days before Obama. Hadn’t the madman with the flashlight heard of earplugs? Instead of being annoyed by a constant sound, you can use it for meditation. Geeze, whiners. I used to live one below the flight deck of a carrier (03 level) Every couple of minutes was the loud crashing sound of the catapult spears hitting the water brakes or the sound of bird catching one of the wires. by the way, I even delievered some ladders to my old ship by the way. Strange how the world works.

25. Sam says:

Quill should have called the police. There are laws against any loud noises at night. That includes generators and it also counts whether there is electricity or not. The posters who have stated that it is disrespectful and wrong to run a generator overnight are correct.
    It’s unfortunate that a tough Cali firefighter can’t take a few hours off the grid. I assumed ff’s would be tougher than that. Oh well, he’s probably just in it for the pension.

1. John Stephens says:

Right, the police are going to come running over a NOISE COMPLAINT in the middle of a BLACKOUT.

1. Gilbert says:

What else are they doing? We’re not talking New Orleans, are we?

26. humble polymath says:

NO, he was just mad because his neighbor was subjecting him to loud noise making it impossible for him to sleep. That type noise is against the law at all times as disturbing the peace, and any fool should know that running that cheap loud generator after 11 pm is not only against the law, it’s being a bad neighbor as well. in times of stress people need to be good neighbors, not inconsiderate ones. He should have run that during the day and turned it off at night. if he didn’t open his fridge, it would have been fine for a few hours until the morning to let everyone get some sleep. What a bad neighbor.

1. Jimmy says:

Apparently, you have never lived in the country when the power can go out for days and weeks. My water runs on an electric pump (well water) and I have no running water if the power goes out. When Isabel came through, we had no power for THREE WEEKS. ALMOST EVERYBODY had a generator and it was kind of fun. When my generator would run out of gas, I could hear everyone else’s generators all over the neighborhood. If the power goes out and you have a generator, you will NEVER be cited for disturbing the peace for running your generator. One more thing, if you can’t sleep because of a generator, YOU be a good neighbor and put in some earplugs. I personally don’t mind the sound, it is a steady kind of drone that PUTS me to sleep.

1. Rick O'Shea says:

I’ve run my for a couple weeks several times. As well as a well pump I have AC when others are sweating their tails off. It’s nice to sleep comfortable when the temp is in the upper 80s.

2. stan says:

Here in Southeast Texas we wear a sweater if it drops into the upper 80’s and the humidity drops below 80%.

2. Tiger says:

It’s obviously NOT against the law, Doofus. Thank God it’s not in Louisiana. So I guess everyone suffers bc you and Quill are too stupid to buy your own and therefore hate everyone that has one. I imagine you’re waiting for Obama to buy you one. Ah but you’d have to buy gas for it, so it would just sit there or you’d sell it for a couple cartons of cigs. Can’t wait for Quill to walk back into his stinkin house with the rotted food in the fridge. lol

3. Gregorio says:

I grew up there in the 60’s and 70’s. Now it’s a typical Lilly-white OC Neighborhood, the area is filled with Libs, Posers, and Poodles. I am glad I left. They kinda ruined it for “normal” people.

4. Robert Wallace says:

You’re an idiot. Crawl your way back under your rock.

5. David says:

Did your mother have any children that lived?

27. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

When grand illusion breaks up and reveals the reality of a broken America, it won’t be a good idea to let off cooking smells, or light pollution at night, and yeah the sound of running generator could get the grasshopper people swarming your way. There are tools to keep the grasshoppers from cleaning you out, but who wants to spend a perfectly good Saturday stacking and burning corpses before the flies and smell?

Because it was a temporary situation, the jealous whiners needed to get over themselves for a day or two and let their happy with generator neighbors ALONE. The good thing about it all is that Mr. Morales knows who to dispactch right off the bat when the economic collapse hits.

28. Brent says:

A vast majority of people just don’t prepare for any kind of emergencies. And it seems they are always the ones to whine and engage in criminal acts the most when they end up completely helpless.

I live over 1000′ from my closest neighbor so no body cares if I run mine all night. A major reason I live in the country is so I can do what I want without somebody whining about it. Or trying to beat me up and then getting themselves shot.

29. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

Oh, and not everybody sleeps at night and works in the day. Some people may not be able to run their generators in the day in or to keep the goods in the deep freezer from going bad and have to run it at night instead.

another white tweeker with a flashlight!!! LOL

31. Free American says:

Should have had it hooked to his high voltage elecric fence

32. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

SCratch the last one. not everyone can be home to run it in the daytime and have to run it at night. Rugged single folks, who have to do everything on their own.

33. Free America says:

Three pigs one house built of hope, one hose bulit of steel and bricks, the last house bulit with bricks steel, and a generator. In socialist obama land the first pig, ends up killing the third pig, because of a sense of socialism. Obama would want to tax the dead third pig, to benefit pigs not smart enough to even have a house.
    Out here in free America, had he tried that, we have guns, and the right to use them.

34. jerrylud says:

i do think morales is a spanish name

35. Ford says:

Typical Liberals, going over to their neighbors’ houses to start fights.

36. Steve says:

I’m sure this Peter Quill loser is another labor union hater that fits right in with the class warfare crowd. Get a job, get a check, cash the check, and buy your own generator. If you think this is bad, just wait until the big one hits California. All hell will break loose.

1. FLOYD IN FLORIDA says:

i’m sure Quill sat around his house say I’m going my neighbor becasue
      He is in a Union?

37. Thug says:

So, if the lights go out you can do whatever you want right? sound sirens all night, blast your car radio. whatever noise you make is ok as LONG AS THE POWER IS OUT! THIS IS WHY CALIFORNIA NEEDS TO FALL INTO THE OCEAN AND DISAPPEAR

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Hey Thug, I hope a Katrina-like flood destroys your community.

38. Bigcitylivin'ain'tnuthintobragabout says:

What should be the major priority for a portable generator owner/operator who works all day and doesn’t have anyone to run it and keep a check on the oil while at work and only has time late at night and wee hours of morning to run it ? Should it be the whiners next door who can’t get creative and figure out how to counter the late night generator noise or that deep freezer filled with high dollar cuts of beef and maybe some high dollar rare exotic animal meat mixed in? DEEP FREEZER should win EVERY SINGLE TIME unless you’re one of those useful idiots for the communist party or something.

39. Rick says:

Instead of spending the money on a noisy generator dependent upon constant input of petroleum, how about just installing silent solar panels, especially in your sunny area? Add a battery bank and you’re good to go for periods without sun.

No noise,
    Constant payback from regular sunlight,
    Works all the time without adding petroleum,
    Can share pumped water, etc. with neighbors.
    Cost comparable to a generator.
    Battery life is actually extended when it is drained empty once in a while.
    Nothing to break or repair.

1. Dennis Johnson says:

Solar panels…..HaHa Ha, you obviously have not checked into the cost defectiveness and the output of these wonder solutions. Not even close to being practical……check em out.

1. More energy goes into creating a solar panel then it will produce in its lifetime. You gotta burn a lot of fossil fuels to make those panels. Solar is a farce.

2. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

You forgot to mention the $50,000 price tag and the 35-40 year ROI.

3. Ernest Sharp says:

3 KW solar system: $15,000 installed. (3KW needed to power home with enough left over to charge the batteries to get you through the night)
      1KW gas generator: $1,000.

40. Rodney King says:

Can’t we all just get along?

41. Robert S says:

Typical democrat constituent behavior.

Peter Quill was upset because he thought he had missed out on some democrat generator giveaway.

1. Rodney King says:

Where’s the giveaway!

42. Rodney King says:

Rodney ain’t feeling the respect

43. Rodney King says:

Where are the green jobs? I want one now.

44. Rodney King says:

Is anybody there to give me a green job?

45. jim says:

This could all be avoided by simply following the golden rule. We had a 30 hour outage last year. I was using a generator off and on for the freezer and refrigerator. I went next door to my neighbor and offered him some power for his fridge and assured him I would not run it too late. No assaults, no cops, and we contribute to the overall friendliness of the neighborhood.

1. Rodney King says:

There’s a green job idea!

1. Rodney King says:

Golden green, anyway . . .

46. Man on the Silver Mountain says:

Who is the idiot? A temporary blackout is not an emergency situation and whether you think so or not, noise ordinances are in effect. The other posters here are correct when they say that the food in the fridge is fine all night long without power to keep it cold. I think this gut went over the line with assault, but there is no reason to run a generator all night – except that these spoiled Orange County people can’t deal with the slightest inconvenience or disruption to their self indulgent routines. Oh and BTW the Jimmy, these people don’t use wells or pumps, so STFU.

1. Rick O'Shea says:

There is a reason to run his generator, he wanted to run his generator instead of sitting in the dark and to keep his food safe in the refrigerator and possibly in a freezer.

2. Thomas Edison says:

Did anyone know how long the “temporary” outage would last? When the electricity stops flowing, people seldom know if it’s going to be off for an hour, a day or a week. Think about it before you post, numb-skull.

3. kevinburtyk says:

My ventilator seems somewhat important.

4. Joe Marshall says:

“Man on the Mountain” Get a life! Have you not ever heard that Americans are suppose to be innovative and self reliant. By your inane statements, I will go out on the proverbial limb and assume that you are a Libocrat. Addition proof of that is your use of name calling in the last sentence, name calling is the last resort of Libocrats when they really cannot support their position in reality.
      Personally, if I move from a condo back to a house, the first thing that I will purchase will be a generator, with reserve fuel tanks. Oh and by the way, I would run it 24 hours a day if the power went out since my wife is on an oxygen generator. I value my wife’s life much more than your sleep, but I would make every effort to make the generator as quiet as possible.

5. Kingfish says:

Silver, i see why u live on a mountain, nobody wants to be around your worthless a$$, it’s his house, generator, and nothing was said about a noise ordinance, come to my place and threaten or assault me and the coroner will be the next person u won’t meet. DA

6. Level headed says:

Who knows how long a blackout will last??? That’s a stupid comment! Mr. Quill — if the noise of the generator was too loud, why didn’t you stuff cotton balls in your ears? Why must other people change because YOU have an issue? Why don’t you solve that problem without trying to make others change??? That’s the cause of many violence — when you try to control others instead of LOOKING IN THE MIRROR!!!!!!!

7. MarkBench says:

You are an idiot if you think hitting people with heavy, battery filled flashlights is OK.

8. Costa Mesa resident says:

YOU’RE the idiot, idiot.

47. Rodney King says:

High paying green jobs are growing explosively!

1. Rick Libertarianski says:

I call ’em tofu jobs, no substance and leaves a man hungry!

48. Rodney King says:

Who’s smokin’ what? Rodney wants in.

49. Man on the Silver Mountain says:

Chuck, your other comments were spot on. This one is lame. What do you need it at night for? So you can watch Leno? What “vital services” are required at night? Are you on a ventilator?

The FACT is, a generator is NOT a necessity, especially in this situation. It is a convenience that these people use to minimize the disruption in their otherwise mundane, materialistic and self-focused lives. This was a temporary blackout – not a natural disaster or other catastrophe that could take days or weeks to recover from. Those comparing this to Irene are asinine. This was a minor inconvenience and the “LA Firefighter” proved what an ill-prepared sissy he was by running his geny all night. A person who is ACTUALLY prepared is prepared psychologically to deal with these situations. They light a candle, read book or talk with their wife and then go to bed. They don’t INSIST on business as usual. Bunch of pathetic losers who are afraid of the dark. Wait until there is a real emergency. These people will be dead in three days.

1. Rodney King says:

Not if they get green jobs first

2. billybob4 says:

In a situation lasting more than a couple of days, the cost of running a gas powered gen could exceed the cost of the junk in the freezer, therefore annoying your neighbors while in the act of smoking meats comes next. Personally, I’d keep as low pro as I could from the beginning. Wouldn’t want the neighbors to think I still had an abundance of ice and stuff.

3. Costa Mesa resident says:

Man on the Silver Mountain, stay on the mountain and don’t ever come down here. You sound like a hillbilly idiot.

50. Raymond says:

I might suggest that Anthony Morales see about putting some Solar Panels and/or a Wind Turbine on his House to prevent a reoccurrance of this Incident. I might also suggest that Peter Quill “Grow Up!” Mr. Quill is probably lucky that Mr. Morales didn’t have a Gun to defend himself with!

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Raymond, I wish Anthony Morales had a gun. Peter Quinn would deserve to have his brains blown out for what he did, trespassing on someone’s property and assaulting that person.

51. David says:

If any generator is too loud you know it is not a Honda.

52. Crosscut says:

The cheaper the generator the louder. Mine would wake the dead. But it gets the job done. It sure is a blessing during an outage to run a fan, t.v., make coffee and run the fridge. Where we live we don’t live on top of one another and noise ain’t a problem. No homeowner should be without one.

53. TheschoolofAustrianeconomicsolution says:

Get all the pot pies and frozen pizzas outta the freezer and deep freezer, and have a major feast. Turn that quiet running hidden and sound proofed gen on after a couple of days and make tons of ice and watch TV too. Then get armed and get a family member to load up a wheel barrow with bags of ice and go around the block selling ice to the highest bidder. Anything less of a Prez than Ben Franklin is sheet out of luck. When the power comes back on, take your earnings and get the hell out of that rotten state overrun by illegals and commies.

1. billybob4 says:

….he shoulda been Prez then again, he was kinda gay. Anything less than the equivalent of 100 federal reserve notes. If they offer gold or silver(real money), follow them home and rob them.

54. bubs says:

I armed myself then started my generator, then freshened my water storage contianers. They said the outage would last for days. My generator was off before 9 but I don’t think anyone enjoyed the noide up to that point… With Quill it would have been a case if he would have gotten off my property when told to do so or if he tried to kill me with the light and invade my home. I would not want to kill him but if he had forced the situation & attacked me with a weapon I would have no choice but to protect myself and family. I do not want to shoot anyone for anyreason, I know this for a fact. So I hopr I am never but into a possition where it comes done to me or them……

55. Mike Allen says:

They are noisy as fk, I would assault him too.

1. Gary Gilkerson says:

and you be a dead mofo too

56. Duh says:

I didn’t mind the noise, it was the nasty a$$ diesel smell coming in my windows.

57. retiredat44 says:

I agree,, they are too noisy, the noise we have to live with here in California is insanely high! we don’t want or need any more noise… people that don’t enjoy quiet are nutjobs… we finally got a couple hours peace and the b.utthol.es with things to make noise ruin the peace…

58. David Walterman says:

Beat his arse! With the same flashlight, then use the generator to administer electric shocks to his genitals until he begs for mercy!

59. Justan American says:

“Can’t we all just get a long?”

Noise ordinances are still in effect even if there is a power shortage.

There is no exception written in to it.

The Public employee apparently thought hat being a privileged member of the government sector he was above the law.

First thing he told the police was probably that he had a badge.

1. Rodney King says:

You respect Rodney, Justan?

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Justan American, I’d like to club you on the head with a flashlight!

60. Rick O'Shea says:

So let me get this straight. A man goes to someone elses property, attacks him and then walks away. You people out in California sure have odd behaior because if that occured here in Texas the generator owner would have to call the meat wagon as well as the cops.

61. Bobby Ray says:

I have a generator and use it when power is out and under Georgia’s Castle Law, I can and will legally shoot any SOB who tries to turn it off, or any SOB who attempts to hit me with a flashlight or anything else. You libs are going to learn that some of us don’t care that you are offended and if you make an aggressive attempt to let us know that while you are on our property, it will be the last dam thing you ever do. Come on down to Georgia, Florida, or better yet, try it in Texas and see how far you get.

62. Indy says:

That’s it!
    We need to do gooders to ban flashlights.

63. James Woods says:

This is an example of what will happen if outages like this are extended.

Some people have a liberal mentality of planning for emergencys. They think that if they stock away food, have a generator, etc… that in time of trouble they will be prepared.

Wrong, in time of trouble these people with the generators and the food will be robbed unless they are able to protect themselves with arms.

Even arms may not help in areas of the country where firearms are prohibited by law-abiding citizens.

The cost of a generator will out shadow that of a fridge full of spoiled food. I could quickly see where the guy with the flashlight (deadly weapon) was coming from.

Imagine the power being out, you live in california so the weather isn’t like it would be in alaska, and what else can you do but get some quiet time and you have some random piece of otherwise heavy equipment running.

I wouldn’t take the same path he did but unless the area was designated a disaster area I do not see how ordinances would not be in effect.

64. Tony says:

As a Sherriff officer I can tell you that generators are allowed to run and complaints should be called into our office. Neighbors don’t have a right to be lawless, trespass and assault other neighbors. You get arrested for doing those forms of “crimes”. Also if a neighbor is on your property assaulting you with a weapon you have a right to use any form of protection to keep yourself safe and unharmed. The arrested party should have asked the victim to turn off the generator and then called law enforcement, period. Now he is facing up to five years of jail time for aggravated felonious assault with a deadly weapon and criminal trespassing. The perpetrators family could be required to move if the victim files a restraining order with any nominal boundaries. This is not a game of Redneck Rampage. The perpetrator is probably in county lockup now with a few huge cellmates, all called Bubba getting his first lessons in jail romance rituals. The law of logical consequences is never forgiving. Be kind to your neighbors or meet Bubba.

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Tony, thank you so much for your post, you’re the only one that spoke sense. I really am sick of people like Conservative Redneck who defend that cretin.

1. Briggs and Stratton says:

Costa Mesa, it is obvious you are hated in your own neighborhood. In an actual emergency nobody will come to your aid. Congratulations.

“As a Sherriff officer I can tell you that generators are allowed to run and complaints should be called into our office.”

All night long? Everywhere? Welcome to modern law enforcement – can’t even get a simple concept straight. How do you spell Sheriff, Tony?

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Briggs and Stratton, maybe I should move in next door to you so I could make your life miserable.

2. Michael D Baudry says:

I do not call the police,,, nor do I whine to a lawyer. I have 3 generators, I share with my family/friends when needed. My main toy, yes toy, is a 2cyl model 1927 Lister diesel,,,, EARTH SHAKING is a under statement. My second is a ETQ 5kw diesel, noisy but great runnung. The most used is a KIPOR 1000ti. Just right for my needs, most of the time. Emergencies happen here often, so being prepared is a way of life.

3. daniel says:

You are a “Sherriff?” ha ha yah sure. even crazier is somebody like Costa Mesa believes you. Guess he has the same education as you.

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Daniel, go have sex with your mother.

65. warden says:

I think you are all missing the point. We must enact some sort of legislation that requires citizens to obtain a background check and permit to carry such flashlights. Those things are dangerous and only created out of such heavy materials so that you can assault and possibly maim someone. This story proves that there is no situation in which government bureaucrats should not intercede and limit the personal liberties of it’s subjects, thus making life safer for all and paving a way to a new utopia.

1. Bobby Ray says:

I applied for my conceled carry permit for my five cell flash light today. I hope I pass the background check. I know i”ll have to register it and if it is ever used in a crime that I will go to jail. But all honest citizens should not care about having to get a permit and go through a background check if they are on the up and up huh? I mean, what’s the beef? All gun owners have to do it and it’s just an extension of the same way of thinking to apply it to flash lights. Dang. Next thing you know, you’ll have to register your tire tool because some guy used it to pry open a window and enter his neighbors house. But, hey. We have freedom in this country because our government is taking care of us. Boy. I sure am glad for my government always looking out for me and my freedom.

1. Sally2times says:

Hey Bobby Ray, do you have to apply for a permit for that freedom thing? What happens if you can’t pass the back ground check for that?

66. stan says:

The neighbor was being a jerk for complaining about a generator. Problem is one never knows how long the temoprary outage will last.

67. tiredrider says:

Temperature when this occurred was probably about 60 degrees. Not familiar with that street but residential is normally very quiet. That generator probably sounded like a trash truck stuck in soft sand. That said; MANY O.C. citizens are spoiled children who know nothing of reality. Police calls for service include “Barbeque smoke disturbing the peace”, “Swimming Pool Pump disturbing the peace”, “Wind Chimes disturbing the peace” and my favorite, “Tennis Court Lights disturbing the peace”. Check it out, these were all real calls for service. Have fun in La La Land.

68. Claimjumper says:

This isn’t the end of this story. I wonder what will happen the NEXT time there is a power outage?

I wonder how many other similar incidents occurred that weren’t reported. Moral of this story is “if you have a generator & others don’t they will get mad & want what you have.

69. John says:

I recently met Peter Quill at a 2 day class and he is a very nice guy and there is certainly more to the story here. You armchair judges have apperantly forgotten the most obvious point and instead talking about generators and food and walking down stairs.

THE MOST OBVIOUS POINT IS THAT QUILL GOT INTO AN ALTERCATION WITH A FIREFIGHTER. That is like getting into a fight with a cop. Of course he was arrested and the fireman cried victim.

I don’t know anymore of this story that what this site says, but hey, that puts me in the same situation as you nitwits. Even if I hadn’t have met Quill I still would have keyed on the fact that a firefighter wouldn’t be arrested in an altercation with a citizen. Cops and Firefighters look out for each other and lie for each other.

70. Biffster says:

Generator guy should have put a couple rounds between the eyes of fleshlight guy.

71. Todd Cool says:

no kidding, the courts ought to use this simple prick as an example, and prosecute to fullest extent of the law. For crying out loud, the neighbor that is complaining should be used as an example, and have the book thrown at him. People need to grow up, like this jerk off complaining, what he couldn’t take a drink to take the edge off and simply goto bed. He had to confront this man about his generator. Why is this even a case. Hey man complaining, grow up, by some ear plugs and got o hell to sleeo

72. Ed P says:

I’m not condoning his actions, but did the neighbor really have to run his generator at 11PM? The fridge would not warm up overnight if he shut it down. Sounds like they both need a lesson in manners.

1. robert says:

For several hours after the OUTAGE, there was NO concrete estimate of when the POWER would be back on! I have a generator and I’ll run it stay up to date on TV and stay cool! It was 103 in SD.

2. max frisson says:

I live in Louisiana, storms take out power here frequently so virtually every one has a generator. During Irene we lost power at 6AM on Saturday. Ours kicked on and I made coffee and read the newspaper. It’s a LP powered marine industrial 8KW on a 2 foot tall concrete block, it will power a couple of houses and it’s just a dull hum. Short of one of those big units on a trailer, I’ve never heard one loud enough to be of any notable bother. So I wonder it there aren’t other issues with these two neighbors.

3. Ghost says:

Ed P…..You’re an IDIOT

4. Charlie Harper says:

Actually, you have a good point. Good neighbors work with one another.

73. joe says:

Happy 9/11 Mr. Firefighter…bang!!!

74. Mr.Morals not MORALES says:

I think Morales is an ILLEGAL operating an ILLEGAL generator obtained by ILLEGAL means, and that gas it was running on was ILLEGALLY siphoned from a World War II veteran who was recently denied medical care at the local VA, thanks OBAMA!!@

75. MM says:

After hurricane Ike came through Houston, there were generators running all over my neighborhood day and night for two weeks. The temps were in the 90s – even at night, and the humidity was 90% plus with all the water on the ground / flooding. You had to sleep under a fan or sleep in a pool of sweat. Those who had generators shared our electricity with our neighors.

In Texas, if you come onto someone’s property at night and attack them, you better be packin’ more than a flashlight.

76. Carlo says:

People who run these noisy-ass generators non-stop are selfish idiots — plain and simple. Go get a motel room if you can’t hack the power-off situation. No reason to torture your neighbors. They’re few and far between, but they’re very much disgusting and beyond a nuisance.

Selfish, noisy, oblivious creeps with not a shred of consideration for their fellow man.

1. Your Neighbor says:

Hey Julio,
      Remember, most hotels and hotels are on the same municipal power grid as homes, and usually without generators themselves. Or didn’t they teach that at Tijuana Tech?

2. Texasbil says:

Once again a bunch of liberals trying to tell someone else how to run their lives. This would never happen in Texas If it did the fellow with the flashlight would have risked being shot. If and when I run my generator is my business and has nothing to do with manners.

3. MarkBench says:

Right, so attack your neighbor with blunt instruments.

4. Ghost says:

Carlo….You’re an IDIOT

77. Battle Cat says:

I have 2 generators…and a locked curtilage….you try to turn off my generator, you get a 7.62mm NATO 150gn FMJ in the chest.

78. ert says:

the thin veneer of civilization crumbles so fast and easy…

79. Costa Mesa resident says:

All you fascist Nazis who defend Peter Quill, you all need to be clubbed in the head with a flashlight as well!

80. TillieTurtle says:

I live in the area of Alabama that was hit by the tornadoes back in April. Nearly everyone in my neighborhood, including me, had a generator. some of which ran 24 hours. After the power came back on, it was too quiet.

81. Sleepless says:

I fully understand how someone could go after a noisy generator. No sleep, stress from the power outage, and endless noise can drive anyone crazy. My new neighbors have a fancy pull with 4 pumps that run 24/7 and I’ve not slept in weeks. I’m wondering how many jello packs it would take for the pumps to explode.

82. Michael Gibson says:

He should have seen his flashlight and raised him a .45.

83. Rodney King says:

How many buddies of Rodney King are here? Make yourselves known!

84. Rodney King says:

How many buddies of Rodney King are here? Make yourselves known! Let’s generate some excitement and some green jobs!

85. Pilot.Dave says:

There are 2 types of people commenting here.

Those of us WIth generators because we are independent and shelled out cash to be prepared when the establishment failed to provide us (sell us) power,

And those who are not independant and think this FIreFighter’s preparations to be ready to go to work well rested and clean are not warranted.

1. FaceIt says:

No, there is a third person, me..

I run my generator long enough to maintain refrigeration. Period. A one or two day power outage hardly qualifies as a life or death emergency…unless your on oxygen…which is unlikely considering how loud you bray.

86. Rodney King says:

Am I the only one here trying to be a “generator” of green jobs? We need to get on the green jobs bandwagon and move toward a greener future. Let’s all join together on this! Who’s with me?

1. Gunther says:

Shut up, idiot!!

87. FLOYD IN FLORIDA says:

One jerk is fat dumb and happy sitting in his nice Air condition House while
    his poor neighbor sweats his you know what off, open his windows to get fresh air and he cant sleep because of the FD&H guys Generator?
    The old type Generators are Loud as in Very Loud!
    The old type Generators are very high RPM motors and they scream!
    The New Generators are very Low RPM high Torque and are very quite!

Bottom line they were both WRONG!

88. sailordude says:

He went whats known in So Cal as “Loco”. What other reason, when you attack someone that is your neighbor? Loco.

89. AtTheRUbicon says:

I just finished reading an article describing how Liberals are on a campaign to convince us that good is evil and evil is good, etc.

And here on this very thread we watch Liberals taking the position against a guy who thought ahead and was prepared enough to the situation when it arose.

90. 3rdworldMike says:

A flashlight is a dangerous weapon, not a deadly weapon.

91. Man on the Silver Mountain says:

“Face It” and “Briggs and Stratton” said it right.

Costa Mesa and Joe Marshall – you guys will be dead in the first three days when a real emergency actually strikes – either because you are so arrogant, ignorant and stupid that you will not have any idea how to get along without your lattes and air conditioning or because your neighbors will finally see an opportunity to rid the world of your sorry butts and blow your brains out. A TEMPORARY black-out is not an emergency – and if you think it is, no matter whether or not anybody knows how long it will last, you are pathetic. If you REALLY need electricity for your O2 generator, I suggest you plan for that NOW. You idiots haven’t got a clue what the hell you are talking about. Good luck when the SHTF for real. Buh bye.

1. Costa Mesa resident says:

Man on the Silver Mountain, if you ever came on my property to try to start a fight with me just for using my constitutional and legal right to take care of myself, that will be the last stupid mistake you make. You tea party extremists have this attitude that people like myself are not allowed to take care of ourselves whether it’s getting a government job that pays generous benefits, 9/11 victims applying for the Victims Compensation Fund or me using a generator when the power goes out. Hillbilly mountain people like yourself have dumbed down our society and have made the U.S. the most unpleasant nation in the world. Plus I feel threatened that people like you own guns. You are the reason why all guns should be outlawed. Plus your communities reek of urine and feces. You’re also a bunch of paranoid psychos capable of committing domestic terrorist acts in this country. It’s people like you that cause me to have no respect for this country.

2. Costa Mesa resident says:

Man on the Silver Mountain, I’m willing to bet you don’t even have a high-school diploma. People like you are dumb, stupid and ignorant. You probably live in a shack similar to that other hillbilly idiot that was constructing this hazardous wooden house in the mountains in which he ran afoul of authorities’ orders to take it down. Your shack is very likely not built to code and will very likely collapse on top of you when the Big One hits. When that happens, I will laugh at you and dance on your broken property.

92. Diego Roswell says:

Hey Quill, next time either bring a bigger flashlight or stay home, you whiney d-bag.

93. Phil McKann says:

Two A-holes meet, one winds up in the hospital and the other in jail. The wise neighbor would have burned their two houses down while they were predisposed.

94. papercut says:

I have a generator that makes no noise, I just feed it some plutonium every 20 years or so.And the neighbors glow in the dark so they don`t even need flashlights.

95. DAX says: