Leftover Labor Day Trash, Feces May Taint LA Water Supply

LOS ANGELES (CBS) โ€” Labor Day may have come and gone, but leftover trash and waste in one of the Southland’s biggest parks has left local campsites filthy and could even be contaminating your drinking water.

As much as 30,000 pounds of refuse was found in just one canyon of the Angeles National Forest in the wake of the holiday weekend, according to park officials.

KCAL 9’s Kara Finnstrom reports a small group of U.S. Forest Service workers and volunteers are still trying to make a dent in the amount of Labor Day litter.

Nathan Judy of the U.S. Forest Service said the concern is not just with trash this that ends up alongside roads and in campsites โ€” it’s also the trash that ends up clogging up the San Gabriel River.

“Approximately 35 percent of L.A.’s drinking water comes from this river,” said Judy. “To pollute it up here where it begins is a travesty.”

While the city’s drinking water is filtered below, volunteer river watchers also monitor bacteria levels to assess just how much damage has been done.

“The trash content, the feces content that’s in here is high,” said Judy.

So Judy โ€” who knows his small brigade is not enough to tackle this growing problem alone โ€” is educating and recruiting younger park visitors in the hopes they can make a difference.

But after the mess from last weekend, Judy is just trying to keep the faith.

“It’s heartbreaking when you pick it up and it comes back the next weekend,” he said.

Comments

1. Dawn says:

The rule is your supposed to leave it cleaner then when you found it! If you cant pick up your trash, then PLEASE stay out of our parks and forest!

1. Joe says:

Call immigration, get this guy our of here!! If you don’t speak the language, leave our country!

1. Grizz says:

In other words..come clean up after the trash who didn’t clean up after themselves? I already do that with the forest service as a volunteer every year for three months. MOST of the time it is from campsites occupied by Hispanics…like it or not..these are the FACTS,,and you KNOW I am right….YOU are an EXCEPTION..thanks for that.

2. Regulas says:

The only groups of people who really celebrate labor day are the commie unions and the Democrat (Marxist) party. They preach clean the planet but they are pigs in truth, just like the stinky hippies they are.

1. john says:

You are 100% right…๐Ÿ™‚

3. Bill O says:

Exactly what does being “Latino” have to do with it? People like you who, first, have to label ethnicity are dumb as stones. Second, people like you who act like “Latino’s” don’t clean up after themselves are dumber still.

4. sdf gga says:

Welcome to Mexifornia

5. Stryker 21 says:

All the ILLEGAL ALIENS destroying our COUNTRY. Send them back to their third world bottom feeding country.

2. theride76 says:

I love how the segment ended showing ugly gang banger graffiti. Poor Angeles National Forrest : (

1. sean patriot says:

Gee It looks JUST LIKE MEXICO city. I wonder why.

3. TT says:

Campers Please !!!! IF YOU CANT BRING A TRASH BAG OR A TRASH CAN WITH YOU OR YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO PICK UP AFTER YOURSELF .STAY HOME !!!! Our water isnt your toilet, our forest isnt the dump … If you cant find a bathroom at least have the descency to dig a hole and bury it….This just makes me sick – My guess is it isnt kids – It Full grown adults that cant pick up after themselves….c’mon now…

4. 1900innoho says:

It’s a culture thing – people who have recently come to this country don’t give a damn about anything but themselves! Trash the neighborhoods, trash the beaches, trash the mountains – just use and leave. Frankly, we’re all sick of this ‘third world’ mentality here in America. Ruin your own country – but leave ours alone. And I can just here………’como?’

1. Fed Up says:

Well you need to stop voting for idiots that allow these animals into your state and Country

1. Fed says:

It has more to do with not having enough Rangers to educate visitors and ticket offenders.

2. Clean Higene says:

I would agree with that.

3. offended says:

OH NO– the people I vote for would never allow this…….. hehehe

5. the real TT says:

i didnt write that –

1. the real TT says:

but whoever did obviously doesnt have anything intelligent to add to the conversation

6. Joe says:

Anyone caught leaving their trash shoudl be shot on the spot!

1. Stev says:

So should people who can’t spell simple words correctly!๐Ÿ™‚

7. the real TT says:

I dont care if they are purple ,green,blue and orange and red – you know how to put trash in a bag, and where to use the restroom..,Its not brain surgery

8. Stubby says:

It’s common knowledge what kind of people visit parks with indifference to the environment. There should be a substantial entrance fee as well as enforcement to prevent alcohol use. Would it be so easy for a terrorist to add a little something to the origin of 30% of LA’s drinking water by pretending to be on a picnic? Close the whole park if the water supple can so easily be threatened.

9. Coach Ron says:

Goood Morning!!!! my name is Coach Ron with the Fun Zone Reading Club for Homeless Kids in Downtown LA and would like to Volunteer to Help with the Clean Up? like to meet Up and shear Ideas?

1. jerry says:

Yeah, stop spamming!

2. oc49er says:

Every year there is a large All Volunteer clean-up on the East and North Forks of the San Gabriel Rivers. All groups of all kinds are welcome, including yours.
      I’ve done this a couple of times myself, huge piles of trash and lots of diapers too!!!
      I just don’t know if they still do this?
      I was up there this spring, plenty of trash cans and restrooms too.
      Lazy I guess???

3. Bill O says:

Fun Zone Reading eh? You want to shear ideas? Hows about you meet up and study spelling and grammar?

4. Genius says:

How much wool do you get shearing ideas?

10. David Huffman says:

It really sickens me to see this happening to our country and our government does nothing about these people.I am a Veteran of the U.S. Army and i can tell you for a fact that most of the countries that we visit as tourists DO NOT have this problem.I can say that for a fact that if you go down to Mexico,you will see much more willful disregard for the land than you see here in the U.S.!! These third world animals have no respect for the care and cleanliness of our Precious Mother Earth.!! Go visit a Native American Reservation,sure some of them are poor,but they DO NOT trash thier Mother !!! What’s really sad is because of the illegal Mexican invasion,i’m willing to bet that today’s grade schoolers could not sing to you from memory one of our Nation’s National Songs,America the Beautiful !!!! Obama must go,along with all the rest people !!! Our country needs fresh blood in high places that have an agenda of making our country the Super Power that we have always been until the invasion of Mexico!!!

11. Yank says:

L.A.? I would never have guessed that all those tree huggers and latino lovers would do such a thing. Look illegals are like renters…it’s not their property so they are not going to take care of it yet the LA bleeding hearts want more and more latinos. Well when you elect people like Waters, Pelosi and that other witch we all know you are not too bright.

12. Steve Roberts says:

I saw this complete indifference about the environment when I lived in South America. Litter and piles of trash everywhere and I see it here in Atlanta whenever large groups of illegals get together in a park.. I hope the liberals that claim to love the environment are happy with their open borders/amnesty policy and it will get worse in the years to come. Democrat’s chickens are coming home to roost!

13. KP2GMU says:

Anybody want to take a guess at the political affiliation of those that left the trash? Look at the mess left after President Obama’s inaugeration and compare that to the Glenn Beck Restore Faith rally. The former left the National Mall covered in trash and the latter left it spotless. Just an observation from an Independent.

14. Craig Rowe says:

I saw this happening in the Sequoia National Forest in and around Kernville as well. Even in the high mountain campgrounds, there was little respect for silence or the land. Piles and piles of empty beer cases, loud music throughout the night and just trash everywhere. The forest service is not paid enough to manage people. How can one not have the simple common sense it takes to clean up after yourself.

1. the real TT says:

@ craig -My thinking exactly – i think they can figure out where the bathroom is and how to pick up a diaper ….Or a beer can in your case…..Maybe this is where we need to enforce a little more community service – since our jails our FULL – make them do something besides sit in a cell…and at least then i know our tax dollar are being put to good use…..If the forestry service doesnt get paid enough to pick up after people – use what we have – inmates, im sure they would rather be out in the fresh air than sitting in a cell anyway….

15. peetah says:

LA’s water does not start there , it starts at the lakes of northern california and gets pumped there from the california delta, get your facts straight.

1. denogginizer says:

Not all of LA water comes from NoCal. Gety your facts straight.

2. denogginizer says:

Not all of LA water comes from NoCal. Get your facts straight.

16. Joe says:

Its a shame how people treat the National forest these days. The fact is the majority of these people who litter, graffiti, and just don’t care are the “illegal immigrant” type. All you have to do is drive up the 2 or the 39 on a weekend, the proof is in the pudding. That being said, I don’t think the racist comments help anything, especially our cause. Something definitely needs to be done but we all need to keep a level head and figure out a way to remedy this situation…. On second thought, its time to get the hell out of California and live this miserable state to the illegals and the politicians who love to cater to them.

17. Hank Warren says:

Illegals leaving trash everywhere, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of govโ€™t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like โ€œAmerica Deceived IIโ€ and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. Jeff says:

That book is on Amazon dummy

18. No mas mexicans says:

The same stuff goes on here in NY/NJ. You’ll see a hispanic group of people enjoying a picnic at our parks/beaches and as soon as they’re done they get up and leave all of their garbage behind. You could put a dozen garbage cans between them and their el camino but it wouldn’t change a thing.

19. pocketpal says:

Did you see the trash left after President Zero’s inauguration on the Capital grounds? I’m thinking both times were Demoncrats

20. Tiny Litess says:

Obama voters?

21. ss12 says:

It’s the Tea Party’s fault. Gang banger conservatives. They tear up everything.

1. Mikey says:

Probably the militant wing of the Amish Liberation Front.

2. Ben Dover says:

It’s George Bush’s fault.

22. Nancy Pelosi says:

Isn’t diversity wonderful.? Tolerance everybody, plus more taxes to pay for the cleanup. And if you disagree, you are a racist.

23. Joe says:

I am not pointing my finger at anyone, I am simply stating facts. The swimming holes, streams, campgrounds etc. that I have been visiting for 15 years in the Angeles forest are now full of trash and dirty diapers. Unfortunately the majority of the people that I see doing this are the “illegal type”(don’t speak english, etc). I never said all Mexicans do this or its only Mexicans but It is mostly hispanics that strike me as being illegal and obviously dont care about their community. I also am of Hispanic descent, but I am an American and I don’t have anything in common with these low lifes.

24. Bobolinski says:

If I remember right, the Obama inauguration was left a filthy mess too.

I know the lefties are incapable of believing it, but at the tea parties I’ve been to, we left the areas as we found them. I have personally stood in line to throw away trash, and when the trash can filled up, we waited for more trash bags.

1. Red says:

So was the million man march on DC; however, after the TEA Party march on DC, the demonstration area was clean as a whistle!

25. Steve Roberts says:

I’m glad you clean up after yourself like a responsible person.. However the point is people shouldn’t be leaving trash behind and most of it is from illegal aliens. Even if I had any spare time between work and family, I wouldn’t use it cleaning up other peoples mess that aren’t even supposed to be here. The least the invaders could do is show some respect for our natural beauty. If they can’t do that they are welcome to return to whatever 3rd world hell-hole they came from.

26. dion says:

Same people littering in CA parks are littering when the cross the boarder.
    ILEAGLE MEXICAN CRIMINALS

27. dion says:

Butt-awfull Mexifornia

28. bigbiz2 says:

What do you expect from Mexicans??

29. grizz says:

What a surprise

30. Michael Bingham says:

How come people like you always think there is something wrong with individuals who are willing to speak the truth rather than hiding behind some wall of pc bs. How does avoiding the truth or softening the message help anyone? Sounds like you need to grow up and learn to deal with the truth no matter what form it is delivered in or are to immature to deal with facts?

31. Maggy says:

Better call FEMA.

32. robert says:

eees ohkay. we are do mess jew grigos no do. eees ohkay.

33. gary-bg says:

The first rule of camping is if you brought it in take it out with you.I have been camping for over 30 years and I camp primitive also I police my campsite after I break camp and make sure I do not even leave a tent stake behind.Considering the amount of trash left behind in this story you are not campers your morons.

34. Dan says:

Doesn’t the law prohibit littering? Why aren’t the laws being enforced? If it is a chronic problem, it seems the solution is to start enforcing existing laws, regardless of the violators race or ethnicity. That is the American way, rule of law.

35. DG says:

Agreed!!!!!!!! Well said!

36. lulu says:

Yea Sure…not my brother’s keeper now and never was….that old ’60’s song.

I clean up after m yself and I’m just amazed that so many comments about such a simple thing…next one will have to follow these people into the b’rooms…..don’t think so.

37. lulu says:

California dreamin… got you in a daze…..

38. AnneinFLorida says:

I’m sorry but I do not believe it is just the Mexicans. I believe it is all the liberals. Look at how they left DC full of filth and trash after Obummer’s inaugural. Look at all the liberal European countries that have trash everywhere in the streets, (especially if you go by a McDonalds, you’ll see nothing but McDonalds trash on the ground for 3 sq miles) graffiti everywhere and they smell like a sewer! Liberals truly have a “do as I say not as I do” mentality. They all preach “Cleaner environment” but by that they mean, “Clean up after me”

39. Steven Moshlak says:

One of the reasons for a prompt walk-away from Los Angeles, over fifteen years ago was the mess left by illegal aliens in Angeles National Forest, over a Labor Day Weekend, There was trash strewn about and they were dumping the hot coal ashes from the BBQ’s into the streams. I thought I was watching what was once a clean area, being turned into a dusty Mexican village or city dump. I guess they figure the Aztec Gods will come down and clean the place. Where are the Park Rangers?

Anyway, I got smart and moved to Northern Colorado. People up there know how to PACK OUT THEIR TRASH.

40. Proud SEIC MoneyBags says:

Of course they left the trash and feces behind. Picking up that basura is a legitimate government function that drives up the number of union workers employed by government. You rich fat cats in the private sector just need to be taxed more to pay for it.

P.S. And I don’t want to hear about you southern red staters going on about using chain gangs to do community service. Making bad check writers pick up trash in front of the town Church on Sunday is just mean.

1. John says:

Hahahaha.. Unions are going down buddy.

41. John says:

Pinche Raza.. Clean up after yourself. Damn, you’re giving us a bad name all around the Country. Tired of it.

42. Joe E in the IE says:

We need a bumper sticker that sums up that laid-back green California lifestyle:

F*** YO’ MOTHER!
    (Mother Earth, that is.)

1. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

everyone that drives a gas powered car,truck,ect. is shltting in our oxigen pool.white latino,ect.same shlt!!! you are killing your childs future!

43. sickoffools says:

To say a majority of this problem is not Hispanic related is ignorant of the truth; look at that area 40 years ago, never this problem. Look at L.A. Metro cities which were once Jewish or Anglo, clean courteous, less crime. I’ve moved to other States predominately white and now that Hispanics move in so does the crime, graffitt, gangs and garbage. Look at the border crossings, tons of trash, set fires, damaged plants, burgled homes, shot dogs and cattle. A-holes to the fullest. No culture can destroy with so much desregard for others as they do. I’ve lived amongst them and know first hand. Look at the black shootings in south central….Mexican gangs pulling that stunt.

44. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

Degenerates always trash their surroundings. You’ll never change these people and they’ll never read this page.

45. Igor Doublebubblevich. says:

I went by there, no they were not white, jewish, asian, guess who?

46. firstpoppa says:

There is a sign at the entrance to a park in Hawaii. It would be appropriate to put up a similar sign here.

“Let no one say it, and say it to your shame; All was beautiful here, until you came!”

YOU brought your trash in, YOU take your trash out!

1. usmcgrizz says:

Is the sign also in spanish?

2. Tony says:

it won’t work, the idiots from south of the border can’t read…english nor spanish!

47. Patrick Lehane says:

When visiting LA remember, don’t drink the water.

48. borderraven says:

Welcome to the Third World.

49. george lopez says:

why latinos wipe their behind and throw the paper on the floor instead of flushing it down.and there is always a big glob stuck to the paper. and when they use a park you will certainly see the rolls upon rolls of baby diapers they rather throw on the ground than in the trash container. see it everyday at work, in eaterys, where ever latinos go there’s sh!t somewhere.

50. Speed E. Gonzalez says:

Np speeka da engrish

51. Reason says:

Wow – pretty funny all the “white” people blaming the “brown” people for destroying “natural” spaces. You people should read a bit of American history from when all the “white” people came west. All they DID in a short amount of time was litter and destroy the land that had been how it was for 1000s of years, wherever they went.

1. Tyler says:

look around you and tell me eet’s not the ‘brown’ people doing eet! STFU bean-o!!

52. "ghost buster" says:

look at what the white astronauts did they litterd the moon with space trash!!! same!!!! shlt!!!

53. stan says:

It’s so easy to blame it on undesirable ethnic groups such as (any epiphet or ethnic slur).Drink wine if the water contains dissolved faeces.