LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — A judge says the trial of the doctor charged in Michael Jackson’s death is “on course” despite an appeal filed last week by the physician’s attorneys.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor says jury selection in the case will begin as planned on Thursday unless the appeals court issues a stay in the case.
Attorneys for Dr. Conrad Murray on Friday appealed a ruling by Pastor that jurors in the upcoming involuntary manslaughter trial will not be sequestered.
Pastor refused to allow the defense to call a half-dozen doctors who treated Michael Jackson — including his dermatologist — in the years before his June 2009 death.
He is allowing two other doctors who treated the singer in his last months to be called to testify.
Murray pleaded not guilty and faces up to four years in prison if convicted.
Authorities say he gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol and other sedatives in June 2009.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)