Girl, 11, Dies In San Bernardino County Rockslide

FOREST FALLS (CBS) Officials say rain over the Labor Day weekend may have led to a rockslide that killed an 11-year-old girl in the San Bernardino National Forest.

Taylor Vejar was hiking with a group near Forest Falls when a medium sized boulder crashed down the trail, hitting her in the head Monday afternoon.

Vejar, of Rancho Cucamonga, was pronounced dead at the scene around 1 p.m., according to a statement from the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department.

A teenage boy also suffered a broken foot.

Park officials say Forest Falls is a popular hiking spot that is known for flooding. They said the ground was very wet due to rains that soaked the area over the holiday weekend.

Comments

1. Karen says:

I pray for her and her family. What a tragic loss. RIP little girl. You were too young to go.

2. a friend says:

This is my co-workers daughter. She was a sweet little girl who had gone through so much. My Tay rest in peace! You will be missed Taylor.

3. Saddened says:

Terrible. Such a sad story, it just breaks my heart to see such a young girl gone in such a freak accident. God bless the family, and I’m sorry for you lose.

4. So sad says:

This is horrible. RIP young lady

5. izzy says:

Made me think of my nieces and nephews. The oldest one is around her age. So sad when I came upon this story. May she rest in peace. God bless.

6. lola says:

This lil girl Taylor is my Friend Kathleen Niece.This is So Sad to Hear. Our Prayers go out to Kathy and Her Family…R.I.P. Lil Taylor<3

7. Tia says:

This beautiful young girl is my niece, I have known the family for 21 years since I was 5 years old. I grew up around her mother, Charity, I was the bratty and annoying little sister she never had. My big sister is Charity’s best friend and Taylor’s Godmother. When Tay Tay was born I was so excited, I finally had a niece to spoil. We hung out and did everything together along with my sister, her 2 kids and my daughter. The kids were all best friends and loved to hang out with each other. Her Godfather and the kids would go hiking with her all the time. This is very tragic and I am still in shock. I cannot believe this happened. I Love you Sis and Tay Tay you will always be in my heart. I miss you. Rest in Paradise Sweetie.