Driver Killed While Trying To Cross 101 Freeway After Crash

STUDIO CITY (CBS) — An autopsy was pending Sunday on a 43-year-old Irvine resident who was killed in a crash on the Ventura (101) Freeway.

The accident near Laurel Canyon Boulevard was reported about 9:42 p.m. Saturday, according to the California Highway Patrol.

According to authorities, the driver of a black Lexus LS420 drifted off the shoulder of the freeway and hit a guardrail with the car coming to rest in the No. 1 lane.

The driver then got out of his car and was fatally struck while trying to cross the eastbound lanes.

The identity of those involved has not been released.

Comments

1. Aynne Pryce says:

Last night at 9:40p my friend was driving, I was in passenger seat, on fwy, a man jumped in front of us, no time to react. We hit him, he smashed through our windshield, we saw him like in the movies. Stopped the car, told my friend to call 911, and I jumped out to the man. He didn’t have shoes or socks, no shirt, only shorts. His foot was curled up by his head, he had a huge whole in his chest. I immediately got down on the ground with him, in his blood, close to his face. I said, “If you can hear me, move your shoulder.” He moved his bare shoulder. I said, “Stay with me, my name’s Aynne, and I love you. Move your shoulder.” He moved his shoulder. I watched his eyes, staring straight ahead, it looked like he was struggling with death. I said, “You’re not going to die. Stay with me. I love you. Move your shoulder.” He moved his shoulder. I watched death take over as he was giving up the battle. He seemed as if he wanted to be with me. “Stay with me, move your shoulder.” He moved his shoulder. Someone said, his name is George. I said, “George, move your shoulder. I love you.” By that time, I noticed the fire dept standing around me, and the police. Someone said, “do you know him?” I said his name is George. No I don’t. They told me to get back, and they gave him shocks to his heart. I knew he gave into death when they took me away, he had no more reason to live, and death escorted him away. I wish I could have stayed with him longer. I came close to him, and called, “George! Move your shoulder!” but it was too late. I noticed his car on the other side of the freeway — the two sides separated by an enormously high wall — with its blinkers on and the door flung open. He must have jumped and run!

They had stretched him out by this time, and threw a sheet over him. “There was nothing you could have done,” said the witness in the lane closest to George. “It all happened too quickly.” I hugged her and asked for her name and number. I believe they would have hit George if we hadn’t.

Within minutes, everyone left but my friend and me, and a couple of cops. I was appalled that no one seemed to make a fuss or say prayers over George’s dead body lying across the lane of the freeway, just lying there alone, completely ignored.

I didn’t want to wash George’s blood off my hands when I got home. I wanted to keep him near me a little while longer but thought better of it and jumped into a hot bath, stunned.

Rest well, dear friend George. God bless your heart and soul.

Friends and loved ones, please don’t drink and drive. I love you.

1. Chris says:

Why save him only to have him drive drunk again and killing someone innocent! He was dead the minute he poured that drink and sank into the seat of his black ugly lexus!

1. Speaking Up says:

Nice of you to think you can play God, Chris. You must drive a pretty car???
        Don’t point fingers until you wash your own hands. I’m quite sure you have not led a sinless life free of bad judgement and most likely demons of your own if you’re human. OR, if you are the rare person of perfection, maybe you have loved an imperfect person. You don’t know this man’s life stories, his struggles or triumphs. He was a father of 4 children. He was a son. He was a person.

2. Chris says:

I am not God, I dont drive a pretty car LOL! I have washed my hands from the filth I have seen, and I dont allow demons into my life……NO I dont know this mans Struggles and I dont care frankly, but getting into a vehicle drunk and driving is NO EXCUSE….you wanna drink and get drunk?…wasted?…fine….do it at home, or in a motel room…..what does that make me if I drive drunk and slam into the car with a mother and 4 of his kids, killing all? THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR DRIVING DRUNK..PERIOD!

3. Second That says:

Well Chris, apparently you think you can choose those who should be saved and those who shouldn’t based on your comment. People like you are no less dangerous.

4. Lauren Ellen says:

Lauren Ellen
        8:48pm on Friday, September 9, 2011
        FOR ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THE PATCH SENT A MESSAGE TO ME AND I HAVE DECIDED TO POST IT FOR THE IGNORANT ONES…..

MM

1:21am on Friday, September 9, 2011

From what i understand of it, the first person who stated he was drunk was Aynne Pryce on this news article. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/09/04/driver-killed-while-trying-to-cross-101-freeway-after-car-crash/

She stated “This morning I heard in the news that George was drunk and had hit the huge divider. He probably had other DUI’s and didn’t want to get caught with yet another DUI. In his drunken stupor, George decided to jump over the divider wall into Saturday night 101 traffic. Bad choice, George. I wish I could have saved him but at least he had a friend as he was exiting this life. Who knows, maybe his only friend.”

George didn’t drink so his family is confused why she said this. What I’m thinking is she got confused with the news story accident from the 110 that did involve a drunk driver the same night a few hours later.

As far as the suicide goes, even the officers at the scene are confused as to why it was ruled one. And no one is giving answers.

2. Speaking Up says:

Let me not forget, he was also a brother.

3. Nini says:

It’s the biggest thing from you, to stay witjh him, to be with him in the final moment. He finished his life not alone. You able to share with him. That’s why he could find peace finally after his hard life. My heart at rest to know you.

2. Axel Villagran says:

Last night at the same time as Aynne Pryce recalls, I was driving with my girlfriend going westbound on the freeway when a driver in a black car not knowing it was George swerved in front of me. I was on the No. 4 lane, George had came from the No. 3 lane; he was going at a fast rate of speed when he swerved and cut me off hitting the guardrail off the Laurel Canyon exit. Somehow he wanted to control his car with sparks flying from the car, crashing back in the No. 1 lane middle divider. I immediately stopped to right shoulder from the No. 1 lane across from him, I was startled and began calling 911, the call couldn’t go thew so I called again. In the meantime, I noticed George leaning towards the steering wheel, I wasn’t sure if he was still alive or dead. My girlfriend who I was with tells me “see if you can yell at him” so i did. Yell “Hey!” “Hey!” obviously with the traffic and the crash George wasn’t going to hear me. As I was trying to get connected to 911 from my phone, I noticed movement inside the car. George was still alive. I continued yelling “Hey!” “Hey!” George didn’t hear me. I noticed him getting out through the driver side window and walking a bit to the front of his vehicle, my instant thought was that he was going to lean over the middle divider and wait for help. but George jumped over the middle divider getting onto on-coming traffic going eastbound and I see him clearly wanting to stop traffic as he gets in a squat position and we see him getting hit my a driver going eastbound, its just like Aynne Pryce says “like the movies” he flew about 3 or 4 times in the air. I began shaking, my girlfriend begain cying and shaking really bad. by that time I had just gotten connected through 911, I told him that there has been an accident on the 101 going eastbound and the driver was struck by someone going westbound, We need an ambulance and police right away.

within minutes, I see a highway patrol stop traffic in both directions. at the same time, I see about 10-12 people gathered around George. i gave my statement to the police and they asked me to move to the No. 1 lane in front of George’s car because they were going to open the freeway. I noticed how the fire department was trying to with him CPR several times. after the officer finishes getting my statement, it was too late for George, he was covered in a white sheet.

This was something that I have never seen in real life, it was something out of the movies. I don’t know who George is or have could have been the reason he was driving intoxicated. Everyone makes a choice in life, unfortunately for George after being involved in the accident, his reaction was to get out of the car.

I’ve had couple of close friends and family past due to drunk driving. Please don’t do it, Don’t drink and Drive. This could of been anyone.

Rest in Peace George and God Bless. My Prayers go out to his friends and family.

3. jesus christ, george has 4 children. i pray they dont have to read this.

4. jsoc says:

George was my brother. He was loving father to four great and now fatherless children and a beautiful and now heartbroken fiance’. Please do not judge and he was not drunk. Just someone who could not find peace on this earth and was trying to get away from the demons who haunted him. May my brother finally be at peace.

1. BD McGee says:

Really? Your brother? And you’re trolling these boards instead of being with family?
      What the fudge is with all these BS posts?

You are all under arrest for leading the public on.
      Nothing further.

5. Aynne Pryce says:

BD, we all grieve differently. The internet brings people together to console, comfort and illuminate. Leading the public on? We’re just talking here. What are you doing other than griping at a time when the compassionate thing to do would be to connect with a loving intent. You weren’t there; it’s obvious by your brashness that you’re over-compensating for some very deep hurts yourself. I feel so deeply for his 4 children, 2 are 5 and 6. Yes, it could have been worse. Save your insults. They may come back to haunt you.

Axel, thanks so much for being there. I’m grateful to know more of what happened, to get a larger picture. It’s a mystery what prompted George to drive drunk, with only his shorts on, to crash and run for it, jumping into traffic. If anyone of his family or friends have insight, please elaborate…

Jsoc, thank you for stepping forward in George’s spirit, in kindness and affinity for your brother. He was fortunate to have you as a brother. I’m so glad he didn’t die alone but was held in unconditional love. I did see the final peace in George’s eyes.

I just received this:

Aynne,

We are truly grateful for your presence. I am sitting here with his ex-wife, now my significant other. Our only consolation is that you were there as he passed. He is survived by a large loving family. It was nothing less than tragic to tell his 5 and 6 year old boys that he died in a car crash last night. Again, thank you for telling George the most important thing anyone and all of us would have said givin the opportunity ” I Love You”. Thanks for saying it for all of us….

Blessings to you all, may your family know peace.

1. BD McGee says:

sorry honey, but George wasn’t terribly bright- that kind of behavior is stupid, but especially when you (supposedly) have 4 kids to care for.
      Not too responsible.

1. get outta here says:

BD, who are you to judge someone you didn’t know?

2. DoDo says:

BD McGee
      That is his third user name. He talks like this all day long on this board. On every topic.

1. ap says:

Exactly DoDo!!
        He does that all day everyday with different names. Such a loser!

6. Aynne Pryce says:

I just heard George’s death was ruled a suicide by the coroner. I didn’t see that in his eyes. Peace to you, George, and to your beautiful family, and to your children.

7. Aynne Pryce says:

I heard today that his death was deemed a suicide by the coroner but I didn’t see that in his eyes. I saw confusion and a fight to stay alive. He has four children and a fiance, and a large, loving family. Such a shame. I know God and our angels wanted us there at that precise time to be the car he ran into because he smashed through the glass of our large brand new bmw. My friend knew to hang on tight against the force of the wheel and come to a slow stop. If it were any other car, his body would have gone through the windshield for sure. The car in the next lane, the fast lane, was an older car with two kids driving, and they would have slammed on the brakes, gone through the window, spun out, hit the divider, and there probably would have been a pile up. They could have died had that happened. My angels persistently said to go get frozen yoghurt after dinner, something unordinary. We were done with dinner sooner than usual so the stopping put us where we were. Thank God I always listen to the Small Still Voice Within. OM. Thank you Father-Mother God for always counting on me. ♥ Your faithful servant, Aynne

8. Lauren Ellen says:

THE PATCH INFORMED ME OF THIS INFORMATION. HE WAS NOT A DRUNK SO ALL YOU THAT TALKED POORLY ABOUT HIM SHOULD BE SERIOUSLY ASHAMED.

MM
    1:21am on Friday, September 9, 2011

9. Aynne Pryce says:

I’m very sorry to have said George was drunk, I was told by several people who heard the news Sunday morning. I was the woman in the BMW, unaccounted because I instantly flew out of the car to tend to George. I was & still am in shock. I was lying on all fours with George, talking to him, telling him to move his shoulders. I did this many times and he responded. I told him it would be ok, that I love him & stay with me. I can see him so clearly. I was alarmed by a policeman saying to me from behind me, do you know him? I said no but his name is George (someone had called it over to me). I kept talking & talking to George, telling him I love him & to stay with me – he kept responding with his shoulder each and every time. There definitely was life in his eyes though he was in shock. When they told me to move back (very insensitively) I knew he wouldn’t make it. I had the sense of officers standing in a circle hovering around us, and wondered why they were standing and not rushing to his side. When I moved back I felt the bond break with George, and it tore me up. I saw his eyes glaze into a stare. Ambulance people did CPR many, many times & his body jumped so high. I was crying and wanted to stay with him because I got through to him. I called out to George. I believe no vitals were taken. Again, I apologize sincerely for saying he was drunk, which was what I had heard. I tried to make sense out of it. He came out of nowhere & ran in front of our car. Peace, George & to all.