Alleged DUI Driver, 18, Causes Fiery Crash That Kills 44-Year-Old Paramount Man

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — An allegedly-drunk 18-year-old drove his Smart car into the back of a Chevy sedan on the 110 Freeway Sunday, flipping the bigger car, causing it to catch fire, and burning a trapped man to death in the wreckage, police said.

The victim, described only as a 44-year-old man from Paramount, was pinned under the full-size Monte Carlo sedan as it burned on the shoulder of the southbound Harbor Freeway at 52nd Place, near Vernon Avenue and a mile south of the USC campus.

Dustin Blake Robinson, the 18-year-old driver of the Smart car, was booked for suspicion of second degree murder and drunken driving at the Los Angeles Police Department’s downtown jail.

California Highway Patrol Officer Patrick Kimball said three men were on the right shoulder of the freeway, attempting to repair the broken-down Monte Carlo. Robinson was in the far right lane and reportedly swerved to avoid a car that had slowed in front of him.

In addition to the fatality, another man, described as a 47-year-old Wilmington man, suffered major injuries from third degree burs to his arms and face, as well as a broken pelvis.

The third victim, a 19-year-old Compton man, had complaints of pain to both legs.

Robinson had only minor injuries caused by a seatbelt abrasion to his left shoulder.

Two-seater Smart cars, introduced to the United States in 2008, are considered “microcars,” and weigh only about 1,600 pounds.

Comments

1. FU says:

Disgusting sick racist POS! You are what makes this world and unsafe place to live! You are a pathetic excuse for a human being. You hide behind these blogs to spew your hatred because you would never say that in front of others, you must live a poor life filled with bitterness, anger, resentment for who you are.
    Karma is a b*tch!

1. ginny says:

Great response !
      As for this accident, another case of a drunk driver killing and walking away unharmed. These people have got to face real life harsh prison terms before people will think twice when getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking.

2. Patrick says:

Whatever was said
      You’re giving in to what that person what he wants- anger
      Remain calm
      Just flag or report comments
      and the moderator removes the offensive ones

2. U must be gay says:

So Sensitive!!!!
    A feminine quality

3. new mommy says:

smart car driven by stupid driver. Thoughts and prayers to the victim and his family.

4. AJ Morgan says:

My condolences and sypathies for the family of the deceased and injured because of this piece of drunken sh|t. He had not runined his own life, but the lives of others. Hope you enjoy prison dip sh|t.

5. Clean and Sober says:

I hear stories like this and I am glad that I never hurt or injured someone with my drunken driving. I drank and used drugs for over 20 years and currently have 434 days clean and sober. Sometimes it is a HUGE struggle. But after reading this story, I have to thank god for saving me.

1. BD McGee says:

what a tool.

6. anon anon says:

18 yr old kid is gonna get 10 years, only serve 1 year and probably speak to schools/colleges about drinking and driving as community service with 9 yrs probation …

this kid is off the hook

7. ??? says:

wonder how an 18 year old was able to get alcohol…there are probably countless ways, but this is the result. Young age in addition to alcohol. This is the sad result, usually the innocent get killed. RIP

8. naji says:

Sadly this was my mother’s friend. He was a hard working man, sadly this young guy who had no business drinking and driving took his life away. My deepest condolences to the family. R.I.P. H

9. Tomas Rodriguez says:

Sadly this 18 year kid took from us a good hard working men that love to help other. A vice president from our Paramount local low-riding car club (OUR STYLE) and a good friend of mine. My condolencence to the family and OUR STYLE CAR CLUB….R.I.P HUGO….

10. Latesha West says:

Im a FRIEND & COWORKER OF THE MAN KILLED.. MY DEEPEST SMYPATHY TO FAM, FRIENDS, STAFF AT NMNC.. THIS DUMB ASS DRUNK DRIVER REALLY HAS KNOW IDEA OF THR PAIN, HURT HE HAS CAUSED EVERYONE!! DRUNK DRIVER SHOULD HAVE THERE DL TOOK AWAY NEVER GIVEN BCK..MY FRIEND DIDNT GET A CHANCE TO FINISH HIS LIFE, NEITHER SHOULD THE DRUNK DRIVER!!

11. Crystal says:

I didn’t get to see this on the news so I just had to look it up, but I am crying my eyes out so much. Yes, the man that passed away is my dad who I love and miss so much! <|3
    This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, my sister, and the rest of our family (which are all his friends). May my dad Ride in Paradise as his friends from car clubs say. Daddy I just want to let you know we all miss you terribly and you will forever be in our hearts, never forgotten. I love you so much <3333333

1. Pat says:

May God love you and protect you

12. Bea says:

All comments will not revive my friend, he was a good man. very honest and hard working, loved by many. May God have mercy on the kid that cause the accident.
    One more victim of alcohol and wheel.

13. Larry OG PHARAOHS says:

My condolences and sypathies for the family. May you RIP HUGO.

14. Larry OG PHARAOHS says:

My condolences and sypathies for the family. May you RIP HUGO.

15. Angie says:

Words can’t explain how I felt when I read this article. There are so many accidents because of irresponsible kids like Robinson, where the hell are his parents. He killed an extraordinary man, his name was Hugo and he was the best father to these little girls that I adore. They are the strongest girls who loved their daddy. R.I.P Hugo you won’t ever be forgotten and wherever you are take care of your two little “shorties” C and D.

16. Jess says:

You were such an amazing person who everyone loved! This was a tragic death, I am greatly saddened by it and I am sure everyone else who knew you is too. My brothers who worked with you also have great memories of you, we will keep you in our memories. RIP Hugo!!!!!

17. SYLVIA SANCHEZ says:

I KNEW BOTH HUGOS AND MY HEART IS BROKEN I JUST TALKED TO HUGO V. TWO WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE PICTURES AND THE LOW RIDER MAG. THAT THEY WERE IN I KEEP STARING AT IT AND CRYING I CANT BELIEVE IT ITS LIKE A BAD DREAM HOW DO I HANDLE ALL THIS PAIN I HOPE TO GOD HUGO V. RECOVERS AND COMES HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL I WILL PRAY EVERY CHANCE I GET SO PLEASE EVERONE WHO READS THIS PLEASE TO THE SAME I WOULD TRULY TAKE HIS PAIN AWAY IF I COULD BOTH HUGOS ARE GREAT MEN AND DIDNT DESERVE TO HAVE THIS DONE TO THEM THESE GUYS HAVE HEARTS OF GOLD AND I WILL FOREVER B GREARFUL I KNOW THEM I KNOW HUGO S. IS IN HEAVEN AND HUGO V. IS A STRONG MAN AND THOUGH HE HAS A LONG WAY TO GO I TRULY BELIEVE HE WILL MAKE IT HE HAS ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO LOVE HIM AND SUPPORT HIM I WILL DO WAT EVER IT TAKES TO HELP HIS FAMILY DEAL WIT THIS HORRIBLE DEAL AND THE GUY WHO CAUSED THIS SHOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO GET OUT HE SHOULD DIE IN PRISON WHERE HE BELONGS AND SUFFER FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE HE KNEW HE WOULD BE DRIVING AND SHOULNT HAVE DRANK AND NOW BECAUSE OF HIS DUMB STUPID ASS ONE GREAT MAN WHO WE ALL LOVE IS GONE TO HEAVEN BEFORE HIS TIME AND ANOTHER MAN WITH A HEART OF GOLD IS IN THE HOSPITAL FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE THIS GUY WHO CAUSED THE ACCIDENT SHOULD ROT IN HELL AND I HOPE HE WILL NEVER HAVE ANY PEACE IN HIS LIFE HE DOESNT DESERVE TO BE FREE MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAINE I TRULY CARED ABOUT THESE GUYS AND SO DID ALOT OF PEOPLE AND MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THEIR FAMILIES A PIECE OF MY HEART IS MISSING HOW DO U LIVE WIT OUT HUGO S. ?AND HUGO V. HOW DO I LIVE KNOWING UR IN SO MUCH PAINE ? AND I CANT HELP U ? I WILL PRAY EVERY DAY AND NITE FOR HUGO V. RECOVERY..XOXOXOX OXOX:( SYLVIA…FROM LYNWOOD

18. CHINITA says:

My empathy goes to Hugos family and friends… i knew him dearly and its so sad that his gone! But i can honestly say that he is in a better place where he is not suffering anymore… GOD always does things for a reason and for his daughters may GOD BLESS YOUR HEARTS AND NEVER FORGET THAT YOUR DADDY WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU NO MATTER WHAT!